Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #1
DaaamnGina

Default Canon, please "fix" S100 with new Firmware

I had the original S90, then switched to the LX5, and now I'm back to the S100. The S100 is the best pocket camera I've ever used, overall. It has just about all I could realistically want in a point-and-shoot. Great size, great ISO ability, lens range, GPS, Eye-fi support, 1080P video, zoom/focus during video, and on and on.

But I would love a firmware update to address some shortcomings.
  • Make it easier to move the Flexizone focus point. E.g. Make the Ring Func button assignable to go directly to the position change screen
  • Allow GPS and Eye-Fi settings to be added to My Menu
  • Change Auto Exposure Bracketing so that the shutter can stay open longer than 1 second
  • Allow ISO 3200 and 6400 in Max Auto ISO. Why limit to 1600? I prefer grainy shots over blurry shot.
  • Maybe get some better auto focusing, especially in low light. I tested it side by side with an LX5 during a pageant and the LX5 was quicker and never missed a focus. The S100 struggles to get a focus lock on many occasions.
  • And maybe an option to disable all those UI animations. The animations make the camera feel less responsive to me.

Anyone else concur or want to add to this list?

For fun, I've attached photos from the 2012 Miss Colorado pageant. Image 4 shows off the IS. Shot at 1/5s. Images 4 and 5 shows the low light focus struggle. All shots are from RAW using default Lightroom 3.6 RC.

Last edited by DaaamnGina : 30th of November 2011 (Wed) at 03:02. Reason: Typo 2010->2012
DaaamnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #2
duffguy808

Default Re: Canon, please "fix" S100 with new Firmware

nice pictures and nice rack
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #3
PaulRivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaamnGina View Post
I had the original S90, then switched to the LX5, and now I'm back to the S100. The S100 is the best pocket camera I've ever used, overall. It has just about all I could realistically want in a point-and-shoot. Great size, great ISO ability, lens range, GPS, Eye-fi support, 1080P video, zoom/focus during video, and on and on.

But I would love a firmware update to address some shortcomings.
  • Make it easier to move the Flexizone focus point. E.g. Make the Ring Func button assignable to go directly to the position change screen
  • Allow GPS and Eye-Fi settings to be added to My Menu
  • Change Auto Exposure Bracketing so that the shutter can stay open longer than 1 second
  • I personally don't care that much about these, not saying they're bad or anything, but -

Quote:
  • Allow ISO 3200 and 6400 in Max Auto ISO. Why limit to 1600? I prefer grainy shots over blurry shot.
  • I 100% agree with you, this is the #1 annoying thing for me about the s100. Seriously...who puts in a menu that lets you set the max iso, then cripples is so you can't actually use the higher iso's? I make sense to put it at iso1600 by default, but not letting you set it higher? *sigh*.

Quote:
  • Maybe get some better auto focusing, especially in low light. I tested it side by side with an LX5 during a pageant and the LX5 was quicker and never missed a focus. The S100 struggles to get a focus lock on many occasions.
  • The lx5 is definitely the king of speedy focussing for a compact. I would also love to see Canon improve the s100's focussing speed. I don't know if they ever will though...at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I feel like they like their compacts being noticeably slower than their dslr's so people have another reason to buy a dslr. Maybe eventually everyone else will have snappy autofocus and Canon will be forced to do it...

Quote:
  • And maybe an option to disable all those UI animations. The animations make the camera feel less responsive to me.
I like that they display an icon for the mode you're in in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

I also really dislike that they display a sort of splash screen every time you change modes. It wasn't in the s90, they added it for the s95 (and kept it for the s100) but I find it non-useful and very annoying. Switch from P to TV (shuttter priority) and try to immediately change or check the shutter speed, and you can't because of the silly splash screen.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #4
hnikesch

Once the camera is ported to CHDK you will have control over manual ISO, auto ISO, and Hi Auto ISO. Not only can you increase the max iso for the auto ranges you can also exceed the cameras ISO range in both directions. The Canon max ISO on my SD990 is 1600 and I can set my HI Auto ISO to go to 2500 if I chose. The Min ISO for my camera is 80 but I can use 50 if I chose using CHDK. I can also exceed the MFG shutter speed range in both directions from 64 sec's to 1/100,000 sec.

Hans
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #5
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Wait...you had a bunch of hot women willing to do almost anything for a silly plastic tiara and you were testing focus speed
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #6
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Once the camera is ported to CHDK you will have control over manual ISO, auto ISO, and Hi Auto ISO. Not only can you increase the max iso for the auto ranges you can also exceed the cameras ISO range in both directions. The Canon max ISO on my SD990 is 1600 and I can set my HI Auto ISO to go to 2500 if I chose. The Min ISO for my camera is 80 but I can use 50 if I chose using CHDK. I can also exceed the MFG shutter speed range in both directions from 64 sec's to 1/100,000 sec.

Hans
Oooh this is good news...I always thought Canon's 15 sec shutter speed wasn't long enough for a lot of stuff.
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #7
booju
Goldmember

sorry folks...But what is CHDK?

Thanks

booju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #8
imjason

CHDK or Canon Hack Development Kit is a third party firmware for Canon cameras. It adds things such as Raw for cameras that do not support raw from the factory and more manual controls.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
imjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #9
PaulRivers

Quote:

Hans
...lol, are you sure? Because that would just be...like...super awesome...
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of December 2011 (Thu)   #10
DaaamnGina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
I personally don't care that much about these, not saying they're bad or anything, but -

I 100% agree with you, this is the #1 annoying thing for me about the s100. Seriously...who puts in a menu that lets you set the max iso, then cripples is so you can't actually use the higher iso's? I make sense to put it at iso1600 by default, but not letting you set it higher? *sigh*.

The lx5 is definitely the king of speedy focussing for a compact. I would also love to see Canon improve the s100's focussing speed. I don't know if they ever will though...at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I feel like they like their compacts being noticeably slower than their dslr's so people have another reason to buy a dslr. Maybe eventually everyone else will have snappy autofocus and Canon will be forced to do it...

I like that they display an icon for the mode you're in in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

I also really dislike that they display a sort of splash screen every time you change modes. It wasn't in the s90, they added it for the s95 (and kept it for the s100) but I find it non-useful and very annoying. Switch from P to TV (shuttter priority) and try to immediately change or check the shutter speed, and you can't because of the silly splash screen.
I agree with all that you've said. If they got rid of the mode "splash screen" and also disabled the Func/Set slide affect, I think the camera will feel so much much more responsive. Then add the ability to quickly change the focus area and increase the max auto ISO. Just those changes alone would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
Wait...you had a bunch of hot women willing to do almost anything for a silly plastic tiara and you were testing focus speed
It's nice to have two eyes. One on the focus and the other on them.

Quote:
It will be exciting to see what CHDK can do when it's out. I know they've gots some cool stuff for the S90 and S95. Any info on when?
DaaamnGina is offline   Reply With Quote