FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 02:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

DaaamnGina
Joined Jul 2005
66 posts
Denver
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the original S90, then switched to the LX5, and now I'm back to the S100. The S100 is the best pocket camera I've ever used, overall. It has just about all I could realistically want in a point-and-shoot. Great size, great ISO ability, lens range, GPS, Eye-fi support, 1080P video, zoom/focus during video, and on and on.

But I would love a firmware update to address some shortcomings.

• Make it easier to move the Flexizone focus point. E.g. Make the Ring Func button assignable to go directly to the position change screen
  • Allow GPS and Eye-Fi settings to be added to My Menu
  • Change Auto Exposure Bracketing so that the shutter can stay open longer than 1 second
  • Allow ISO 3200 and 6400 in Max Auto ISO. Why limit to 1600? I prefer grainy shots over blurry shot.
  • Maybe get some better auto focusing, especially in low light. I tested it side by side with an LX5 during a pageant and the LX5 was quicker and never missed a focus. The S100 struggles to get a focus lock on many occasions.
  • And maybe an option to disable all those UI animations. The animations make the camera feel less responsive to me.

Anyone else concur or want to add to this list?

For fun, I've attached photos from the 2012 Miss Colorado pageant. Image 4 shows off the IS. Shot at 1/5s. Images 4 and 5 shows the low light focus struggle. All shots are from RAW using default Lightroom 3.6 RC.

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0511.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0521.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0523.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0531.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0532.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0533.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0555.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.turbopotato.com/photos/2011/1030_MissColorado/img_0557.jpg

Post #1, Nov 30, 2011 02:58:17

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
duffguy808
Joined Aug 2008
181 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

nice pictures and nice rack

Post #2, Nov 30, 2011 03:16:38

It's 5 o'clock some where :p

PaulRivers
Joined Sep 2010
193 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

DaaamnGina wrote in post #13472676external link
I had the original S90, then switched to the LX5, and now I'm back to the S100. The S100 is the best pocket camera I've ever used, overall. It has just about all I could realistically want in a point-and-shoot. Great size, great ISO ability, lens range, GPS, Eye-fi support, 1080P video, zoom/focus during video, and on and on.

But I would love a firmware update to address some shortcomings.
  • Make it easier to move the Flexizone focus point. E.g. Make the Ring Func button assignable to go directly to the position change screen
  • Allow GPS and Eye-Fi settings to be added to My Menu
  • Change Auto Exposure Bracketing so that the shutter can stay open longer than 1 second

I personally don't care that much about these, not saying they're bad or anything, but -

• Allow ISO 3200 and 6400 in Max Auto ISO. Why limit to 1600? I prefer grainy shots over blurry shot.
  • I 100% agree with you, this is the #1 annoying thing for me about the s100. Seriously...who puts in a menu that lets you set the max iso, then cripples is so you can't actually use the higher iso's? I make sense to put it at iso1600 by default, but not letting you set it higher? *sigh*.

• Maybe get some better auto focusing, especially in low light. I tested it side by side with an LX5 during a pageant and the LX5 was quicker and never missed a focus. The S100 struggles to get a focus lock on many occasions.
  • The lx5 is definitely the king of speedy focussing for a compact. I would also love to see Canon improve the s100's focussing speed. I don't know if they ever will though...at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I feel like they like their compacts being noticeably slower than their dslr's so people have another reason to buy a dslr. Maybe eventually everyone else will have snappy autofocus and Canon will be forced to do it...

• And maybe an option to disable all those UI animations. The animations make the camera feel less responsive to me.

• I like that they display an icon for the mode you're in in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

I also really dislike that they display a sort of splash screen every time you change modes. It wasn't in the s90, they added it for the s95 (and kept it for the s100) but I find it non-useful and very annoying. Switch from P to TV (shuttter priority) and try to immediately change or check the shutter speed, and you can't because of the silly splash screen.

Post #3, Nov 30, 2011 16:07:10

hnikesch
    Goldmember
    Joined Nov 2008
    1,031 posts
    Michigan
    [MORE/SHARE]

Once the camera is ported to CHDK you will have control over manual ISO, auto ISO, and Hi Auto ISO. Not only can you increase the max iso for the auto ranges you can also exceed the cameras ISO range in both directions. The Canon max ISO on my SD990 is 1600 and I can set my HI Auto ISO to go to 2500 if I chose. The Min ISO for my camera is 80 but I can use 50 if I chose using CHDK. I can also exceed the MFG shutter speed range in both directions from 64 sec's to 1/100,000 sec.

Hans

Post #4, Nov 30, 2011 17:38:29

Hans
    It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr:external link

LowriderS10
    Cream of the Crop
    Joined Mar 2008
    10,168 posts
    South Korea / Canada
    [MORE/SHARE]

Wait...you had a bunch of hot women willing to do almost anything for a silly plastic tiara and you were testing focus speed??? ;)

Post #5, Nov 30, 2011 18:26:19

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
    -=Facebook=-external link
    -=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
    (this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
    LowriderS10
    Cream of the Crop
    Joined Mar 2008
    10,168 posts
    South Korea / Canada
    [MORE/SHARE]

hnikesch wrote in post #13476071external link
    Once the camera is ported to CHDK you will have control over manual ISO, auto ISO, and Hi Auto ISO. Not only can you increase the max iso for the auto ranges you can also exceed the cameras ISO range in both directions. The Canon max ISO on my SD990 is 1600 and I can set my HI Auto ISO to go to 2500 if I chose. The Min ISO for my camera is 80 but I can use 50 if I chose using CHDK. I can also exceed the MFG shutter speed range in both directions from 64 sec's to 1/100,000 sec.

Hans

Oooh this is good news...I always thought Canon's 15 sec shutter speed wasn't long enough for a lot of stuff.

Post #6, Nov 30, 2011 18:27:21

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
    -=Facebook=-external link
    -=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

booju
    Goldmember
    Joined Feb 2008
    2,278 posts
    [MORE/SHARE]

sorry folks...But what is CHDK?

Post #7, Nov 30, 2011 20:20:56 as a reply to LowriderS10's post 1 hour earlier.

http://photography-on-the.net ...57557&highlight=can​on+G12

imjason
    Goldmember
    Joined Nov 2010
    1,666 posts
    Bay Area, CA
    [MORE/SHARE]

CHDK or Canon Hack Development Kit is a third party firmware for Canon cameras. It adds things such as Raw for cameras that do not support raw from the factory and more manual controls.

http://chdk.wikia.com/​wiki/CHDKexternal link

Post #8, Nov 30, 2011 21:05:01

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
    Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
    Flickrexternal link

PaulRivers
    Joined Sep 2010
    193 posts
    [MORE/SHARE]

Hans

...lol, are you sure? Because that would just be...like...super awesome... :D

Post #9, Nov 30, 2011 22:07:35

DaaamnGina
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    Joined Jul 2005
    66 posts
    Denver
    [MORE/SHARE]

PaulRivers wrote in post #13475632external link
    I personally don't care that much about these, not saying they're bad or anything, but -

I 100% agree with you, this is the #1 annoying thing for me about the s100. Seriously...who puts in a menu that lets you set the max iso, then cripples is so you can't actually use the higher iso's? I make sense to put it at iso1600 by default, but not letting you set it higher? *sigh*.

The lx5 is definitely the king of speedy focussing for a compact. I would also love to see Canon improve the s100's focussing speed. I don't know if they ever will though...at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I feel like they like their compacts being noticeably slower than their dslr's so people have another reason to buy a dslr. Maybe eventually everyone else will have snappy autofocus and Canon will be forced to do it...

I like that they display an icon for the mode you're in in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

I also really dislike that they display a sort of splash screen every time you change modes. It wasn't in the s90, they added it for the s95 (and kept it for the s100) but I find it non-useful and very annoying. Switch from P to TV (shuttter priority) and try to immediately change or check the shutter speed, and you can't because of the silly splash screen.

I agree with all that you've said. If they got rid of the mode "splash screen" and also disabled the Func/Set slide affect, I think the camera will feel so much much more responsive. Then add the ability to quickly change the focus area and increase the max auto ISO. Just those changes alone would be awesome.

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13476349external link
    Wait...you had a bunch of hot women willing to do almost anything for a silly plastic tiara and you were testing focus speed??? ;)

It's nice to have two eyes. One on the focus and the other on them. :D

It will be exciting to see what CHDK can do when it's out. I know they've gots some cool stuff for the S90 and S95. Any info on when?

Post #10, Dec 01, 2011 01:08:48

LIST NEARBY THREADS
    4,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
    Canon, please "fix" S100 with new Firmware
    FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES