I had the original S90, then switched to the LX5, and now I'm back to the S100. The S100 is the best pocket camera I've ever used, overall. It has just about all I could realistically want in a point-and-shoot. Great size, great ISO ability, lens range, GPS, Eye-fi support, 1080P video, zoom/focus during video, and on and on.
But I would love a firmware update to address some shortcomings.
- Make it easier to move the Flexizone focus point. E.g. Make the Ring Func button assignable to go directly to the position change screen
- Allow GPS and Eye-Fi settings to be added to My Menu
- Change Auto Exposure Bracketing so that the shutter can stay open longer than 1 second
- Allow ISO 3200 and 6400 in Max Auto ISO. Why limit to 1600? I prefer grainy shots over blurry shot.
- Maybe get some better auto focusing, especially in low light. I tested it side by side with an LX5 during a pageant and the LX5 was quicker and never missed a focus. The S100 struggles to get a focus lock on many occasions.
- And maybe an option to disable all those UI animations. The animations make the camera feel less responsive to me.
Anyone else concur or want to add to this list?
For fun, I've attached photos from the 2012 Miss Colorado pageant. Image 4 shows off the IS. Shot at 1/5s. Images 4 and 5 shows the low light focus struggle. All shots are from RAW using default Lightroom 3.6 RC.