Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #1
mr2step

Default Putting OS onto a new SSD drive on WIndows 7

Hi everybody. I am curious if anyone knows how difficult it is to move an OS to a SSD drive on windows 7. I have a new gateway but want to upgrade to a SSD at some point. The issue I am having is that I've been told ( by company IT guy) that since my computer came "pre packaged" with no install cd, that it MIGHT not boot up onto the SSD. I am a total computer NOOB but have been learning a lot over the last few weeks researching computers. My new setup consists of Intel i5 2300 Hz, 8 gigs RAM, 1tb HD, dual monitors. I have already installed LR3 and PSE10 on it but not run either app yet. My problem is, I want to know if I will be able to move over all the OS to another drive once I get one to optimize LR3 for speed. I'm presently stuck with one drive and don't want to do anything just yet in case I can move it over without hassle. Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/brettmissickphotography

mr2step is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #2
muskyhunter

Default Re: Putting OS onto a new SSD drive on WIndows 7

you'll need a clean install to work properly.
Canon 60D w/ BG-E9 | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm /2.8 VC | Σ 30mm /1.4 EX DG HSM | Canon 85mm /1.8 USM | Canon 70-200mm 4L IS | Σ 70-200mm /2.8 EX OS DG HSM | Canon 430EX II | Kenko 1.4x + 2x | Think Tank Sreetwalker HardDrive | Vanguard UP-Rise 38 | Flickr |
muskyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #3
mr2step

I guess my question is IF it will work with computer that came w/o boot cd. Yes I made a backup copy first thing but wasn't sure if it could read it off that.

http://www.facebook.com/brettmissickphotography

mr2step is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #4
CactusJuice

Obviously a clean install is preferred, but yes migration will work. However, I would recommend only if you should be comfortable with comfortable with terms and tasks such as "backup", "defragmenting", "ghosting" and "partitions", for example. Migrating is time consuming. Plan to spend an entire afternoon from start to finsih. While not overly complicated, probably not for the faint of heart. There might be extra risk in your case if you're not able to obtain your original installation software.

Keep in mind with SSD you are usually going from big to small. That is, your SSD holds less data than is (possible) on your current hard drive. If that's the case then you first will want to get your current drive's used size down so it will fit on your SSD. This includes defragmenting. Think about it, you could have a 360 GB drive currently. Even if you're not usuing the entire 360 GB, there still might be data written way out there. So first shink and defrag. Then you can ghost and restore onto the SSD. I'm oversimplifying but that's the general process. Your SSD might come with software to help with this.

There are many articles online that go over the steps in detail.
http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to...alling-windows
CactusJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #5
tim
Light Bringer

I suggest a clean install. Go into the BIOS and set the hard drives to AHCI (not IDE) first.

When install Win7 to an SSD sometimes it hangs for a half hour early on in the install process. Just let it go for up to an hour or two and it'll probably recover.
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #6
gotaudi

I would also suggest a clean install, some have run into alignment issues with cloning software. Windows is also better when it installs itself in the correct mode such as IDE vs. AHCI. if you clone the a system from an IDE to AHCI you have to do some extra steps to get it to work in that particular mode.
gotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #7
BluewookieJim

not saying this is right for everyone, but I put intel SSDs in both my desktop (win 7 pro) and my notebook (win 7 home premium) earlier this year. I did a clean install on the notebook, and used the migration software on the desktop. I havent had any problems with either.
Old 1st of December 2011 (Thu)   #8
sbattey
User is banned from forums

Some SSDs come with software to do this for you. My father just bought one that came with norton ghost, it worked fine but I ran into boot record issues and had some trouble. For a computer "noob" I would suggest paying someone to do it. Getting a boot CD is only the start of the journey, you have to hope there are drivers for your hardware on the CD as well. Windows 7 is better with drivers than vista and XP were, but there can still be trouble.

Last edited by sbattey : 1st of December 2011 (Thu) at 01:09.
sbattey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of December 2011 (Thu)   #9
cccc

Clean install is the best way. Make sure the drive is large enough, I tried doing it on a 64GB "boot drive" that held all of my programs as well... terrible idea. It died on me.

Reinstalling everything and reimporting lightroom settings and libraries was the hardest thing for me...

If I could do it again, I would I'd have ponied up for a large SSD and a proper RAID setup for all the media.
Old 1st of December 2011 (Thu)   #10
PaulSoebekti

Hi there.

It's possible, here's a link for more detailed steps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ng-system.html

Paul
PaulSoebekti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2011 (Fri)   #11
Methodical
Cream of the Crop

I see both of you guys suggested the opposite settings for the same type install. Which is which for which situation (i.e. clean install or migration etc.)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
I suggest a clean install. Go into the BIOS and set the hard drives to AHCI (not IDE) first.

When install Win7 to an SSD sometimes it hangs for a half hour early on in the install process. Just let it go for up to an hour or two and it'll probably recover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotaudi View Post
I would also suggest a clean install, some have run into alignment issues with cloning software. Windows is also better when it installs itself in the correct mode such as IDE vs. AHCI. if you clone the a system from an IDE to AHCI you have to do some extra steps to get it to work in that particular mode.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
Methodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2011 (Wed)   #12
EvilXSI

Use AHCI for either install. IDE does not support TRIM, which is important for the SSD's performance. Also, if for some reason you need to switch to IDE you can just change the BIOS setting. Going from IDE to AHCI, however, requires a registry edit.

Canon AE-1 circa 1979, 50mm 1.8 FD
EvilXSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2011 (Wed)   #13
Numenorean
Goldmember

Clean install is preferred but you can get imaging software which will copy over to the SSD assuming there is enough space.
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of December 2011 (Thu)   #14
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

I've used Acronis to clone to my SSDs twice now. Takes just over an hour, unattended, to copy the OS drive to the SSD in an eSATA docking station. A fresh install would take around three days (finding the various serial numbers and installing all the different software).
hollis_f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of December 2011 (Thu)   #15
EvilXSI

A fresh install shouldn't take more than a few hours. I just did a fresh install on a new SSD this week, windows 7 Ultimate, CS5 master collection and MS Office 2010 took three hours tops.

Canon AE-1 circa 1979, 50mm 1.8 FD
EvilXSI is offline   Reply With Quote