FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 13:06   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mr2step
Joined Sep 2008
416 posts
Ocala, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi everybody. I am curious if anyone knows how difficult it is to move an OS to a SSD drive on windows 7. I have a new gateway but want to upgrade to a SSD at some point. The issue I am having is that I've been told ( by company IT guy) that since my computer came "pre packaged" with no install cd, that it MIGHT not boot up onto the SSD. I am a total computer NOOB but have been learning a lot over the last few weeks researching computers. My new setup consists of Intel i5 2300 Hz, 8 gigs RAM, 1tb HD, dual monitors. I have already installed LR3 and PSE10 on it but not run either app yet. My problem is, I want to know if I will be able to move over all the OS to another drive once I get one to optimize LR3 for speed. I'm presently stuck with one drive and don't want to do anything just yet in case I can move it over without hassle. Thanks

Post #1, Nov 30, 2011 13:06:47

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
www.Brettmissick.comexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phyexternal linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phyexternal linkhttp://www.brettmissic​k.wordpress.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
muskyhunter
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,119 posts
Toronto
[MORE/SHARE]

you'll need a clean install to work properly.

Post #2, Nov 30, 2011 13:31:17

Canon 60D w/ BG-E9 | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm ƒ/2.8 VC | Σ 30mm ƒ/1.4 EX DG HSM | Canon 85mm ƒ/1.8 USM | Canon 70-200mm ƒ4L IS | Σ 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 EX OS DG HSM | Canon 430EX II | Kenko 1.4x + 2x | Think Tank Sreetwalker HardDrive | Vanguard UP-Rise 38 |Flickrexternal link|

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
416 posts
Ocala, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess my question is IF it will work with computer that came w/o boot cd. Yes I made a backup copy first thing but wasn't sure if it could read it off that.

Post #3, Nov 30, 2011 14:08:22

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
www.Brettmissick.comexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phyexternal linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phyexternal linkhttp://www.brettmissic​k.wordpress.comexternal link

CactusJuice
Joined Jan 2010
851 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Obviously a clean install is preferred, but yes migration will work. However, I would recommend only if you should be comfortable with comfortable with terms and tasks such as "backup", "defragmenting", "ghosting" and "partitions", for example. Migrating is time consuming. Plan to spend an entire afternoon from start to finsih. While not overly complicated, probably not for the faint of heart. There might be extra risk in your case if you're not able to obtain your original installation software.

Keep in mind with SSD you are usually going from big to small. That is, your SSD holds less data than is (possible) on your current hard drive. If that's the case then you first will want to get your current drive's used size down so it will fit on your SSD. This includes defragmenting. Think about it, you could have a 360 GB drive currently. Even if you're not usuing the entire 360 GB, there still might be data written way out there. So first shink and defrag. Then you can ghost and restore onto the SSD. I'm oversimplifying but that's the general process. Your SSD might come with software to help with this.

There are many articles online that go over the steps in detail.
http://lifehacker.com ...hout-reinstalling-windowsexternal link

Post #4, Nov 30, 2011 14:58:09

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I suggest a clean install. Go into the BIOS and set the hard drives to AHCI (not IDE) first.

When install Win7 to an SSD sometimes it hangs for a half hour early on in the install process. Just let it go for up to an hour or two and it'll probably recover.

Post #5, Nov 30, 2011 15:42:48

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
gotaudi
Joined Jan 2010
716 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

I would also suggest a clean install, some have run into alignment issues with cloning software. Windows is also better when it installs itself in the correct mode such as IDE vs. AHCI. if you clone the a system from an IDE to AHCI you have to do some extra steps to get it to work in that particular mode.

Post #6, Nov 30, 2011 16:49:45

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,095 posts
Southern CT
[MORE/SHARE]

not saying this is right for everyone, but I put intel SSDs in both my desktop (win 7 pro) and my notebook (win 7 home premium) earlier this year. I did a clean install on the notebook, and used the migration software on the desktop. I havent had any problems with either.

Post #7, Nov 30, 2011 19:33:49

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Galleryexternal link :: My Flickrexternal link :: http://photos.kodanja.​netexternal link

sbattey
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
1,250 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Some SSDs come with software to do this for you. My father just bought one that came with norton ghost, it worked fine but I ran into boot record issues and had some trouble. For a computer "noob" I would suggest paying someone to do it. Getting a boot CD is only the start of the journey, you have to hope there are drivers for your hardware on the CD as well. Windows 7 is better with drivers than vista and XP were, but there can still be trouble.

Post #8, Dec 01, 2011 01:07:35

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blogexternal link

cccc
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,720 posts
Rocklin, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Clean install is the best way. Make sure the drive is large enough, I tried doing it on a 64GB "boot drive" that held all of my programs as well... terrible idea. It died on me.

Reinstalling everything and reimporting lightroom settings and libraries was the hardest thing for me...

If I could do it again, I would I'd have ponied up for a large SSD and a proper RAID setup for all the media.

Post #9, Dec 01, 2011 02:15:23 as a reply to sbattey's post 1 hour earlier.

www.chaddavies.comexternal link

PaulSoebekti
Joined Dec 2002
108 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi there.

It's possible, here's a link for more detailed steps.

http://www.sevenforums​.com ...fer-operating-system.htmlexternal link

Paul

Post #10, Dec 01, 2011 11:02:29

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
6,135 posts
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
[MORE/SHARE]

I see both of you guys suggested the opposite settings for the same type install. Which is which for which situation (i.e. clean install or migration etc.)?

tim wrote in post #13475500external link
I suggest a clean install. Go into the BIOS and set the hard drives to AHCI (not IDE) first.

When install Win7 to an SSD sometimes it hangs for a half hour early on in the install process. Just let it go for up to an hour or two and it'll probably recover.

gotaudi wrote in post #13475818external link
I would also suggest a clean install, some have run into alignment issues with cloning software. Windows is also better when it installs itself in the correct mode such as IDE vs. AHCI. if you clone the a system from an IDE to AHCI you have to do some extra steps to get it to work in that particular mode.

Post #11, Dec 02, 2011 02:33:12 as a reply to PaulSoebekti's post 15 hours earlier.

Li'l bit of this, Li'l bit of that
MethodicalImagesexternal link
Flickrexternal link
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
EvilXSI
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2011
4 posts
South Georgia...for now.
[MORE/SHARE]

Use AHCI for either install. IDE does not support TRIM, which is important for the SSD's performance. Also, if for some reason you need to switch to IDE you can just change the BIOS setting. Going from IDE to AHCI, however, requires a registry edit.

Post #12, Dec 07, 2011 21:25:09 as a reply to Methodical's post 5 days earlier.

Canon 450d, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S, 50mm 1.8 Pentax Takumar, m42 to EOS mount adapter
Canon AE-1 circa 1979, 50mm 1.8 FD

Numenorean
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
4,954 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Clean install is preferred but you can get imaging software which will copy over to the SSD assuming there is enough space.

Post #13, Dec 07, 2011 21:36:48

Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I've used Acronis to clone to my SSDs twice now. Takes just over an hour, unattended, to copy the OS drive to the SSD in an eSATA docking station. A fresh install would take around three days (finding the various serial numbers and installing all the different software).

Post #14, Dec 08, 2011 07:44:21

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

EvilXSI
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2011
4 posts
South Georgia...for now.
[MORE/SHARE]

A fresh install shouldn't take more than a few hours. I just did a fresh install on a new SSD this week, windows 7 Ultimate, CS5 master collection and MS Office 2010 took three hours tops.

Post #15, Dec 08, 2011 09:40:26

Canon 450d, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S, 50mm 1.8 Pentax Takumar, m42 to EOS mount adapter
Canon AE-1 circa 1979, 50mm 1.8 FD

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,336 views & 0 likes for this thread
Putting OS onto a new SSD drive on WIndows 7
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES