Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 22:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Struggling for Creativity

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Dec 12, 2011 22:10 |  #1

Do these three pictures do anything for anyone? I kinda like them and then I kinda don't and I really can't decide. I won't be offended if you think there is nothing special/interesting/wo​rthwhile about them. I'm struggling with being creative here at school, I don't get the opportunity to shoot much and when I do I have trouble finding things I find interesting.

The two pictures with the light in the middle is a train coming towards me. Don't worry, I am standing on a bridge over the track. :)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6503232683_e4ce95e902_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../61875474@N06/65032​32683/] (external link)
20111208-IMG_1988.jpg (external link) by imsellingmyfoot (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6503232167_352cd4702e_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../61875474@N06/65032​32167/] (external link)
20111208-IMG_1984.jpg (external link) by imsellingmyfoot (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6503231597_629819c55a_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../61875474@N06/65032​31597/] (external link)
20111208-IMG_1983.jpg (external link) by imsellingmyfoot (external link), on Flickr

This last one is black and white because there was a horrendous color cast from a streetlight that I couldn't get rid of without turning the sky neon blue. I was trying to capture the movement of the clouds.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011
NJ
Dec 12, 2011 22:21 |  #2
banned

Honestly, no not at all. How about you make a simple homemade light box and mess around in your room.

Will: flickrexternal link
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Dec 12, 2011 22:23 |  #3

The second one is pretty decent. The other two don't work for me. The flare kills the first one and the third one just doesnt have anything if interest.

Have you tried playing games with your shooting? Pick an aperture or a shutter speed and only shoot using that. Do the same with a lens. Force yourself to shoot unusual things in an unusual fashion to help get some juices flowing break the rut.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Dec 12, 2011 22:24 |  #4

Here's the real deal. If you like them, that is literally all that matters.

I actually like them, if that counts.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Dec 12, 2011 22:28 |  #5

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13535943external link
Honestly, no not at all. How about you make a simple homemade light box and mess around in your room.

That's a good idea, and I would like to build something, but I have played with my flash and radio triggers and I never really enjoyed it for some reason. Maybe a light box will change that.

Todd Lambert wrote in post #13535957external link
The second one is pretty decent. The other two don't work for me. The flare kills the first one and the third one just doesnt have anything if interest.

Have you tried playing games with your shooting? Pick an aperture or a shutter speed and only shoot using that. Do the same with a lens. Force yourself to shoot unusual things in an unusual fashion to help get some juices flowing break the rut.

That game sounds neat. I'll definitely try that out. It will most likely be at night which would make it even more fun.

Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Dec 12, 2011 22:59 |  #6

S.Horton wrote in post #13535960external link
Here's the real deal. If you like them, that is literally all that matters.

I actually like them, if that counts.

Thanks. Definitely a different take on things too.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009
West Marin
Dec 12, 2011 23:34 |  #7

One thing to consider is that the most significant draw to the eye is a white blob of the locomotive headlight. Not much to be drawn to in terms of detail or subject interest. What does provide content is somewhat obliterated by this significant draw to the white blob headlight. So what is the subject? The headlight? The train we can't see? The trees and track leading up to the white blob headlight and train we can't see?

For creativity I recommend taking 1/2 days and traveling around with a camera and get out and shoot. Most often the best imagery is found and you can't do that on a computer.

Mtn4Mike
116 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Dec 13, 2011 09:50 as a reply to jetcode's post |  #8

In #2 there is some light coming from the left creating shadows and bands of color across the tracks. I wonder what that would have looked like without the train, or with the train way far off in the distance? Maybe nothing...but I wonder ;)

Mike
7D, 10-22mm | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.8 | 430EX II x2| 580EX II | Modifiers

sponsored links

513 views & 0 likes for this thread
Struggling for Creativity
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.