Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #1
LucidPhoto70

Default Lightroom export size settings for web, Facebook, Flickr, etc

Lightroom export size settings for web, Facebook, Flickr, etc

I'm trying to find out what the optimum Lightroom export settings are for websites, Facebook, Flickr, etc. I was doing:

-Resize to Fit: Long Edge 1280 pixels
-Sharpen For: Screen / Amount: Standard
-Minimize Embedded Metadata

I used to export at 1024x768 which was a standard resolution for web design years ago but with larger monitors available, I had started doing 1280 width. With so many tablets and netbooks out there now, I think I need to start processing smaller to avoid my images being resized automatically or forcing users to scroll in their browsers to see the image.

So I tried setting my long edge to 1000 pixels. I still think that is too large and am considering dropping down to 960 pixels. I think Facebook's max is 960 pixels wide so I was thinking of adopting that. What do you guys export at?

Speaking of Facebook, I use it a lot for sharing my work since all my friends and family are there. Even if I resized at 960 pixels, it compresses the image so much the pictures are extremely grainy. Are there any optimum settings for Facebook exports to retain image quality?
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #2
John Schell

Default Re: Lightroom export size settings for web, Facebook, Flickr, etc

Save and upload as .png
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #3
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

I Export and upload to my Web host PBase at the POTN limit, 1024 pixels max.

And then, I recently started using the LR Publish utility to upload to Facebook at 720 pixels max.

It works for me. I don't get farther into the whole mobile app stuff because I figure that at those small resolutions image quality really doesn't matter much!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #4
Staszek
Goldmember

My social media exports are at 600px at 85%. Flickr is 1000px at 85%. No sharpening to either.
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #5
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

FB - 720X @ 100% + Watermark
FM / POTN 1024X @ 100% + Watermark
Website - 5000X @ 100% (Watermark generated by website host)

All of the above are sRGB JPEG
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #6
nathancarter
Goldmember

For web display, I almost always resize to 1024px on the long edge, and use 90% quality. For web sharing purposes, I publish to my Flickr account, and share from there. Sometimes I use a larger size if I have a specific need, most of the time it's 1024px on the long edge.

For my website, the size depends on the project, but again it's usually 1024px and 90%.

For a long time, Facebook limited files to 720px on the longest side; if you uploaded something larger than that, Facebook would happily resize and compress it for you. Recently, they've allowed larger photos (2048px?) to be uploaded, but I think that size is only for downloading purposes, and (I think) photos are still DISPLAYED at 720px.

So, like Tony, I use LR3's publish-to-Facebook service, and upload at 720px on the long side, and 85% quality. I think FB still compresses them even more, sometimes the compression artifacts are just outright terrible.

Maybe I'll try publishing to Facebook with several different compression percentages, and see which one is optimal. I don't think the compression artifacts I'm seeing in my FB images are from my compression to 85%, so I suspect that FB is compressing it again after upload. And if that's the case, perhaps I should just leave my Lightroom settings at 100% quality, so it's only compressed once by FB, instead of compressed once by LR3 and then compressed a second time by FB.

Some 'sperimentation is in order.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #7
LucidPhoto70

Thank you so much guys. This has been really informative.

I did a little bit of experimenting on Facebook last night. I uploaded an image at 1280 px, 1024 px, and 960 px on the long edge at 100%. I used a black and white high contrast macro shot with text so I could see the difference easily. The 1280 and 1024 are both compressed and resized down to 960. They look horrible, very grainy and unsharp. I can barely read the text. Almost all the tiny details that make a macro shot so nice to look at are lost in the conversion.

The 960 I uploaded seems to be largely untouched by Facebook. I can't distinguish any loss in quality from the original 960 px image to the displayed 960 px image. I used the High Quality option when uploading it.

So I think I will stick with 960 px for Facebook at this rate. For my website and Flickr, I'm going with 1024 as several of you have recommended.

Jay, I love your work. I have begun watermarking all my photos as well recently. A small unobtrusive one in the corner. Not for copyright but more for exposure. I've read several pros and cons in threads and blogs all over but ultimately decided I would rather have my name out there than potentially ruining the impact of a shot with a watermark. If someone really liked one of my shots and found it displayed somewhere on the web, I'd like them to track it back to me if they needed to. I also recently started adding my website and copyright link to my IPTC metadata using an import pre-set in Lightroom. There is a very good tutorial here on creating one:

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/index.php...-in-lightroom/
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #8
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Thanks very much for the nice feedback...
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #9
tonylong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidPhoto70 View Post
The 960 I uploaded seems to be largely untouched by Facebook. I can't distinguish any loss in quality from the original 960 px image to the displayed 960 px image. I used the High Quality option when uploading it.

So I think I will stick with 960 px for Facebook at this rate. For my website and Flickr, I'm going with 1024 as several of you have recommended.
I'm curious about this. I'm not a "big" Facebook user but I've been under the impression that even if you upload a bigger pic, the "normal" display will still be 720 pixels at the maximum dimension. Whenever I right-click on an image and look at the Properties (Windows) it always shows 720 pixels or less. So are you saying that there is an option to display larger images, or just to download them?

If you are displaying larger, could post a link?
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #10
tonylong

OK, my mistake -- I just saw one that is 855 pixels, so I guess the option is there if I ever care enough about Facebook images to post larger ones! I've been content with my PBase site being there for those who want to see "bigger"!
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #11
LucidPhoto70

Hey Tony, yes Facebook switched from 720px to 960px max display size this past August. When you click the Download link though, you can download the image in whatever resolution you originally uploaded it at.

I don't have a public Facebook but here on Canon's Facebook page, click on the black and white butterfly with the green background. It should display in 960 x 640. When you click Download, the original image is also the same size so the user likely saved it as this resolution. I'll try and find one at a higher res:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CANON/...3812?sk=photos
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #12
LucidPhoto70

Found one, the Foo dog statue on the 5th row at the same link. Here is the direct link to it:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5103812&type=3

When you click Download, you get the full resolution file at 2048 x 1411.
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #13
tonylong

Got it, thanks!
Old 20th of December 2011 (Tue)   #14
FLiPMaRC

When uploading to Facebook, you have a choice between "Standard" or "High Quality". If you keep it at standard, FB will automatically resize your pictures to 960 pixels. If you choose High Quality, it will resize and display the picture at 960 pix, but you will be able to download the original size.