Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Presentation
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #1
rocker83

Default Comp Card Tutorial

I suppose the comp/zed card industry doesn't want anyone making money off of them.
Can anyone teach me how to make a basic zed/comp card for a model?!
I understand the basics, 8.5x5.5 document, at least 300 dpi
What I am getting hung up on is resizing the photos.
I place my very high resolution shot into the 8.5x5.5 box and its huge, free transform, size it down....but I am not sure if its sized correctly or if Im distorting it?
Then for the 4 standard photos on the back, how do I resize them equally and leave space at the bottom for model stats?

If anyone could guide me, Id appreciate it. There is no solid literature or tutorials available and after mastering it Id gladly make one so others wouldn't have to search like me, thanks!

Mike
rocker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of December 2011 (Mon)   #2
patliean1

Default Re: Comp Card Tutorial

I'd actually like to know this myself!
patliean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2011 (Thu)   #3
Joergeske

Ok so the firs thing I would do is take a piece of printer paper and tear it in half. This gives you a document the size of the comp card. Then take that and draw out the layout you want, and use a ruler and get some rough dimensions.

Now in PS create a new document. Do 600dpi, no reason not to. Now turn on your rulers and use them to create some guides in the document.

Once you have guides placed you can use these are trim lines for all of your images, or depending on your skill in photoshop and how many times you will be making comp cards you could create a layer mask that wouldn't require you ever trim any images down.

Look up some photoshop tuts on how to create a layer mask, using guides, and some other basic stuff. Also take into consideration how these are being printed and what kind of bleeds you will be working with.
Joergeske is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of December 2011 (Fri)   #4
johnscarbrough

Thanks patliean1 for the link.it is such helpful for me
johnscarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of December 2011 (Sat)   #5
CactusJuice

This is a page layout. I prefer to use CorelDraw for this type of work (llustrator for those who have adobe). I resize my images in my photo editing software and then open them in my CD workspace.
CactusJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2012 (Tue)   #6
ian_socool

Glad I saw this thread, I was just asked if I could make some comp cards today.
60D, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ 30mm 1.4, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 100mm f/2.0 USM, Sigma 50-150 2.8 II APO EX DC HSM, Silk Monopod, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers Plenty-O-Adorama lightsands and Umbrellas.
Ian_socool FlickR
http://ianlynphotography.tumblr.com Facebook fanpage http://ianlynphotography.com
ian_socool is offline   Reply With Quote