Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #1
Becca
Lady in Red

Default Photography Clubs

I am considering joining a local photography club, but I'm having a bit of anxiety about it because I'm not a very good photographer. I looked at their website and it appears that a lot of their meetings revolve around competitions, which I definately do not have the talent for (yet!). My main reason for joining would be to learn more about this hobby of mine.

Has anyone else had experience with photography clubs (good or bad) that they could share to help me decide if this is a direction that I want to take?

Thanks!
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #2
alfa1six4

Default Re: Photography Clubs

Don't be so critical of yourself, your're probably better than you think! As for the photo club, maybe you could goto one meeting before joining and see if you like it. Most of the photo clubs in my area also seem geared towards competitions and having guest speakers talk($$). I chose to join just a local artists association, which includes mostly painters, sculpters, etc. There's only 3 photographers there, myself included. There's alot you can learn from hanging out with artists that use other types of media. We are also involved with local buisness's and county government buildings where our works can be displayed for the public to see. That's useful to me, because I can get feedback from people that know nothing about photography.

My Smugmug

alfa1six4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #3
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice

I'm a member of a local San Diego club.

Once a month, there's a "group shoot" scheduled; we just did one yesterday. It's nice to get out and meet others of a like mind, talk about whatever, and just get out there and shoot. They seem geared more towards actually going out somewhere for a group shoot than attending seminars.

Our club doesn't charge any membership fees or anything, but they do accept donations for maintaining the website.

I think the biggest upside to it is the education that happens. I've only been on three group shoots, and I've learned a tremendous amount about photography, equipment, etc., than I ever would've imagined.

If they charge a membership fee, and it's not exhorbidant, give it a shot. Hell, even enter the competions. If your photos don't win, ask some of the "old timers" why they think you didn't; what can you do to improve? I've yet to run into a photographer who isn't willing to share expertise to help someone else progress.

Give it a shot!

Steve
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #4
Pyromaniac

I agree with Steve, give it a shot. Most clubs that charge membership fee's will let you come to a few meetings before they make you pay so you can see if you like the club before shelling out cash. As for entering the competions, aspecially if you don't win you can get some good feedback on why people didn't like it as much as the ones that did win. You just have to remember not to take it personally, odds are that they don't know you very well and it won't be personal on they're part either. So I say what have you got to lose other than maybe a little or your time for going to a few meetings, but you could gain a lot of good knowledge and experiance.
Pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #5
IndyJeff

Becca if you don't consider yourself to be very good with a camera then that is the best reason why you should join a camera club.
If they meet once a month and have a monthly contest look at it this way, you enter and expect to finish dead last. If you do, then you did just what you expected. Now as months go by and your dead last each month it becomes the norm for you. Then one month you place 10th out of 13 members. WOW you have improved. Now each month your goal is to be in the top 10. As time goes by you may score a top 5, then a top 3 and maybe someday you will win one. The point being, each month if you can score higher in the finishing you will be improving.
By not joining you are limiting your exposure to technics and composure to what you already know. That is not learning. In a club you can see other examples and that alone will give you ideas.
Join the club, you won't regret it.
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #6
Becca
Lady in Red

Thanks everyone for the good advice and encouragement. I have been telling myself all of these same things trying to get the courage to give it a try. They have a meeting tomorrow night and I think I'm going to try to get up there and check it out.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #7
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired

I really should do the same, especially since photography in the winter is almost non-existent for me. The knowledge sharing and socialization would probably be a good thing.

Then again I'd never belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2005 (Sun)   #8
bolantej
Goldmember

I agree Becca. it would be worth a try.
bolantej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of September 2006 (Tue)   #9
JOHN HEPBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaNH View Post
I am considering joining a local photography club, but I'm having a bit of anxiety about it because I'm not a very good photographer. I looked at their website and it appears that a lot of their meetings revolve around competitions, which I definately do not have the talent for (yet!). My main reason for joining would be to learn more about this hobby of mine.

Has anyone else had experience with photography clubs (good or bad) that they could share to help me decide if this is a direction that I want to take?

Thanks!
Most camera clubs have contests and do judging. To see one that does not, and what a camera club really should be, go to: http://fhphotoclub.org. The Fountain Hills, AZ club encourages beginners to join.
JOHN HEPBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2006 (Wed)   #10
tlc

you'd be surprised how much you can learn from hanging around people who are more advanced. having someone explain your question in person vs. getting info off a board like this, can really help you.
Old 27th of September 2006 (Wed)   #11
WxGuesser

You gotta start somewhere... i'm sure you'll make some friends and they'd probably be more than willing to take you under your wing.... i wonder if there are any clubs in my town?

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
WxGuesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2006 (Wed)   #12
tweatherred

It you don't think you have talent, read this:

http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/articles/1/

I agree with the others who think getting into a club is a good idea; I have not found a club near me to join and am not sure if I have the time, but would like to do so myself.
Old 27th of September 2006 (Wed)   #13
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweatherred View Post
It you don't think you have talent, read this:

http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/articles/1/

I agree with the others who think getting into a club is a good idea; I have not found a club near me to join and am not sure if I have the time, but would like to do so myself.
wow. that was an excellent story!