Thread started 13 Nov 2005 (Sunday) 08:51   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Becca
Lady in Red
Joined Apr 2005
7,155 posts
Glendale, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

I am considering joining a local photography club, but I'm having a bit of anxiety about it because I'm not a very good photographer. I looked at their website and it appears that a lot of their meetings revolve around competitions, which I definately do not have the talent for (yet!). My main reason for joining would be to learn more about this hobby of mine.

Has anyone else had experience with photography clubs (good or bad) that they could share to help me decide if this is a direction that I want to take?

Thanks!

Post #1, Nov 13, 2005 08:51:35

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
alfa1six4
Joined Jan 2005
397 posts
Newnan, GA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't be so critical of yourself, your're probably better than you think! As for the photo club, maybe you could goto one meeting before joining and see if you like it. Most of the photo clubs in my area also seem geared towards competitions and having guest speakers talk($$). I chose to join just a local artists association, which includes mostly painters, sculpters, etc. There's only 3 photographers there, myself included. There's alot you can learn from hanging out with artists that use other types of media. We are also involved with local buisness's and county government buildings where our works can be displayed for the public to see. That's useful to me, because I can get feedback from people that know nothing about photography.

Post #2, Nov 13, 2005 09:49:16

Gary C.
Canon EOS 20D

My Smugmugexternal link

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
Joined Feb 2005
6,593 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I'm a member of a local San Diego club.

Once a month, there's a "group shoot" scheduled; we just did one yesterday. It's nice to get out and meet others of a like mind, talk about whatever, and just get out there and shoot. They seem geared more towards actually going out somewhere for a group shoot than attending seminars.

Our club doesn't charge any membership fees or anything, but they do accept donations for maintaining the website.

I think the biggest upside to it is the education that happens. I've only been on three group shoots, and I've learned a tremendous amount about photography, equipment, etc., than I ever would've imagined.

If they charge a membership fee, and it's not exhorbidant, give it a shot. Hell, even enter the competions. If your photos don't win, ask some of the "old timers" why they think you didn't; what can you do to improve? I've yet to run into a photographer who isn't willing to share expertise to help someone else progress.

Give it a shot!

Steve

Post #3, Nov 13, 2005 11:58:48 as a reply to alfa1six4's post 2 hours earlier.

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photographyexternal link

Pyromaniac
Joined Dec 2004
539 posts
Mt Washington in Cincinnati, Oh
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with Steve, give it a shot. Most clubs that charge membership fee's will let you come to a few meetings before they make you pay so you can see if you like the club before shelling out cash. As for entering the competions, aspecially if you don't win you can get some good feedback on why people didn't like it as much as the ones that did win. You just have to remember not to take it personally, odds are that they don't know you very well and it won't be personal on they're part either. So I say what have you got to lose other than maybe a little or your time for going to a few meetings, but you could gain a lot of good knowledge and experiance.

Post #4, Nov 13, 2005 12:54:12

www.actionstills.comexternal link | Ohio POTN Google Calendarexternal link | Blogexternal link

IndyJeff
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

Becca if you don't consider yourself to be very good with a camera then that is the best reason why you should join a camera club.
If they meet once a month and have a monthly contest look at it this way, you enter and expect to finish dead last. If you do, then you did just what you expected. Now as months go by and your dead last each month it becomes the norm for you. Then one month you place 10th out of 13 members. WOW you have improved. Now each month your goal is to be in the top 10. As time goes by you may score a top 5, then a top 3 and maybe someday you will win one. The point being, each month if you can score higher in the finishing you will be improving.
By not joining you are limiting your exposure to technics and composure to what you already know. That is not learning. In a club you can see other examples and that alone will give you ideas.
Join the club, you won't regret it.

Post #5, Nov 13, 2005 13:28:31 as a reply to Pyromaniac's post 34 minutes earlier.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

sponsored links
Becca
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lady in Red
Joined Apr 2005
7,155 posts
Glendale, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks everyone for the good advice and encouragement. I have been telling myself all of these same things trying to get the courage to give it a try. They have a meeting tomorrow night and I think I'm going to try to get up there and check it out.

Post #6, Nov 13, 2005 19:15:23

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
Joined Nov 2003
12,842 posts
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I really should do the same, especially since photography in the winter is almost non-existent for me. The knowledge sharing and socialization would probably be a good thing.

Then again I'd never belong to any club that would have me as a member. :-)

Post #7, Nov 13, 2005 20:09:21

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

bolantej
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
3,774 posts
CAlifornia
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree Becca. it would be worth a try.

Post #8, Nov 13, 2005 21:48:49

JOHN ­ HEPBURN
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2006
1 post
Phoenix, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

BeccaNH wrote in post #919630external link
I am considering joining a local photography club, but I'm having a bit of anxiety about it because I'm not a very good photographer. I looked at their website and it appears that a lot of their meetings revolve around competitions, which I definately do not have the talent for (yet!). My main reason for joining would be to learn more about this hobby of mine.

Has anyone else had experience with photography clubs (good or bad) that they could share to help me decide if this is a direction that I want to take?

Thanks!

Most camera clubs have contests and do judging. To see one that does not, and what a camera club really should be, go to: http://fhphotoclub.orgexternal link. The Fountain Hills, AZ club encourages beginners to join.

Post #9, Sep 26, 2006 23:30:27

tlc
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,782 posts
a texan living in london!
[MORE/SHARE]

you'd be surprised how much you can learn from hanging around people who are more advanced. having someone explain your question in person vs. getting info off a board like this, can really help you.

Post #10, Sep 27, 2006 00:27:37 as a reply to JOHN HEPBURN's post 57 minutes earlier.

http://www.tamicurtis.​comexternal link

WxGuesser
Joined Jul 2006
630 posts
Vacaville, Ca
[MORE/SHARE]

You gotta start somewhere... i'm sure you'll make some friends and they'd probably be more than willing to take you under your wing.... i wonder if there are any clubs in my town?

Post #11, Sep 27, 2006 01:28:39

Canon 350D | EF 17-40 f4 L | EF 50 f1.8 | "Kit Lens" | EF 70-200 f2.8 L on order | Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro | EF 1.4x II L
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

sponsored links
tweatherred
Joined May 2005
476 posts
Augusta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

It you don't think you have talent, read this:

http://www.radiantvist​a.com/archive/articles​/1/external link

I agree with the others who think getting into a club is a good idea; I have not found a club near me to join and am not sure if I have the time, but would like to do so myself.

Post #12, Sep 27, 2006 08:11:12

Gear List

tlc
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,782 posts
a texan living in london!
[MORE/SHARE]

tweatherred wrote in post #2043750external link
It you don't think you have talent, read this:

http://www.radiantvist​a.com/archive/articles​/1/external link

I agree with the others who think getting into a club is a good idea; I have not found a club near me to join and am not sure if I have the time, but would like to do so myself.

wow. that was an excellent story!

Post #13, Sep 27, 2006 08:20:41

http://www.tamicurtis.​comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography Clubs
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES