Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 27 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 14:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Copy digital video

Arte ­ Automobilistica
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Devon UK
Dec 27, 2011 14:54 |  #1

Hi

I have recorded a digital video and wanted to copy it to a DVD. It is 9.41G and 59min long and 1280x720 pixels . If a "Hollywood" movie that runs for 90 min fits on a DVD how do I fit my 59min on a DVD?

How badly will this IQ?

Thanks

NelPhotos.co.uk (external link)
Work: 7D + Sigma 100-300 4
Play: Kiss X4 + 15-85 IS + 10-22 + 50 1.8 II + Vivitar 1 70-210 3.5
EOS-M + 18-55 + FD 50 1.4 + FD 135 2.8 + Tamron 35-80 1A
G9, SX280 HS + CHDK, Casio EX-FH 100, Toshiba L505-144 & iPad 2

mguffin
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Allendale, NJ
Dec 27, 2011 15:01 |  #2

When you export your movie, depending on the software, you can set the target size so it will fit on your Single Layer or Double Layer DVD... Quality is reduced to get the movie to fit. The longer the movie, the more the compression. You should not see much of a reduction in IQ, since you are not very far from the 8.4GB of a dual layer DVD. Of course if you are going to have menus they will take up space as well.

Hollywood usually uses dual layer DVD's and compression to fit.

Mike
5D Mark II ~ 35 f/2 IS ~ Sigma 50 f/1.4 ~ 85 f/1.8

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Montreal, QC
Dec 27, 2011 15:01 |  #3

You can do DVD that does HD, but bluray is much better suited.

To burn to DVD I would recommend down converting to SD and choose a bit rate accordingly. My practice is to use the highest bit rate before it hits the size limits.

As a rule of thumb though, no higher than 6.5MB/s as some DVD players will have playback issues starting at around 6.8-7MBPS. Keep it around 6MB/s as audio increases that bit rate further.

450 views & 0 likes for this thread
Copy digital video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.