Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 03 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 12:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lightroom 4 (LR4) Beta to Begin Jan 10, 2012?

moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008
SoCal
Jan 03, 2012 12:06 |  #1

Noticed on http://lightroomkiller​tips.com/external link that there is an ad stating "Something Special is Coming Jan 10 @ NAPP". If you hover your mouse over it, the tool tip says "lr4 beta teaser - 300 x 250". They probably didn't mean to give it away, but seems pretty reliable.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Numenorean
Goldmember
4,993 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Jan 03, 2012 12:07 |  #2

Don't even need the tooltip to guess that on a site called "lightroomkillertips.c​om"

Gear List

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Toronto, Canada
Jan 03, 2012 13:08 |  #3

Nice catch.

Things I'd like to see in LR4:

1. Book layouts. I absolutely hate having to maintain a copy of Aperture just to use its book feature. Give us the ability to lay out multi-page book spreads and export as PDF, and I'd be thrilled. Perhaps a partnership with one of the online photo book companies, too, to facilitate one-click printing a la Apple.

2. Layers. This one won't happen, since it would cannibalize sales of Photoshop, but it would be oh so nice to have the ability to make adjustments in layers, with proper masking.

3. Ability to invert, copy, and paste adjustment brushes. I often find myself using local adjustment brushes to do one thing (increasing local sharpness or brightness, for instance), and then wanting to make the reciprocal adjustment to the rest of the photo. This currently requires me to create an entirely new adjustment brush and paint in the changes. But what if I could simply copy the mask created by the first brush, paste it to the second brush, invert it, and then simply dial in my settings. This would streamline things greatly for me.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canadaexternal link
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scansexternal link

Digitizing film with a digital cameraexternal link

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Jan 03, 2012 13:38 as a reply to edge100's post |  #4

Sweet. I'd simply like to be able to export directly into an existing catalogue!

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

moeronn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008
SoCal
Jan 03, 2012 13:40 |  #5

Numenorean wrote in post #13639718external link
Don't even need the tooltip to guess that on a site called "lightroomkillertips.c​om"

Well, there are plenty of other things advertized on that site. Granted, something being announced at NAPP would most likely be tied to Photoshop.

flickrexternal link

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Jan 03, 2012 14:26 |  #6
banned

edge100 wrote in post #13639994external link
Nice catch.

2. Layers. This one won't happen, since it would cannibalize sales of Photoshop, but it would be oh so nice to have the ability to make adjustments in layers, with proper masking.

It would probably be a lame excuse to increase the price

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Sacramento, CA
Jan 03, 2012 23:15 |  #7

I think they could add layers if they do not add too much other layer functions you may see in CS5 and Elements. It would be a great way to utilize all the functions that LR3 offers. Additional features to the adjustment brush would be great. I don't see them adding RGB curves for some reason, but it would be nice. I can't think right now, but should be interesting if it does come out soon...Not sure if I would buy the upgrade though since I bought CS5...

Flickrexternal link
Blogexternal link

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jan 03, 2012 23:22 |  #8

edge100 wrote in post #13639994external link
Nice catch.

1. Book layouts. I absolutely hate having to maintain a copy of Aperture just to use its book feature. Give us the ability to lay out multi-page book spreads and export as PDF, and I'd be thrilled. Perhaps a partnership with one of the online photo book companies, too, to facilitate one-click printing a la Apple.

3. Ability to invert, copy, and paste adjustment brushes. I often find myself using local adjustment brushes to do one thing (increasing local sharpness or brightness, for instance), and then wanting to make the reciprocal adjustment to the rest of the photo. This currently requires me to create an entirely new adjustment brush and paint in the changes. But what if I could simply copy the mask created by the first brush, paste it to the second brush, invert it, and then simply dial in my settings. This would streamline things greatly for me.

Take a look at "Perfect Layers" from OnOneSoftware. It's not a bad plug-in for LR. :)

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Jan 04, 2012 00:17 |  #9

jdizzle wrote in post #13643201external link
Take a look at "Perfect Layers" from OnOneSoftware. It's not a bad plug-in for LR. :)

is it slow? or make LR more slow should I say? LR3 has some nice features but damn it's so slow compared to 2 something, which ever was the one before.

http://www.belovedlove​photography.comexternal linkmy websiteexternal link

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jan 04, 2012 00:22 |  #10

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #13643412external link
is it slow? or make LR more slow should I say? LR3 has some nice features but damn it's so slow compared to 2 something, which ever was the one before.

As far as LR3 goes, it's not slow for me even with the plug-in.. My rig specs are i7 965 with 24 GB of RAM.

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Jan 04, 2012 00:24 |  #11

jdizzle wrote in post #13643427external link
As far as LR3 goes, it's not slow for me even with the plug-in.. My rig specs are i7 965 with 24 GB of RAM.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

show off

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Jan 04, 2012 00:25 |  #12

for whatever reason though, my ram isn't the issue it seems it's always the CPU that goes crazy, which I don't completely understand :o The apple "genius" recommended I switch to iphoto, I tried not to giggle

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jan 04, 2012 01:02 |  #13

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #13643435external link
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

show off

I wasn't trying to show off. ;)

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #13643439external link
for whatever reason though, my ram isn't the issue it seems it's always the CPU that goes crazy, which I don't completely understand :o The apple "genius" recommended I switch to iphoto, I tried not to giggle

iPhoto? :lol: Brrrrt! :p

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Jan 04, 2012 01:07 |  #14

[QUOTE=jdizzle;1364353​1]I wasn't trying to show off. ;)

my reply was in the fun sarcastic sense ;)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jan 04, 2012 02:33 |  #15

Good God. I need to get myself a new computer. :p

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

13,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 4 (LR4) Beta to Begin Jan 10, 2012?
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.