Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jan 10, 2013 22:06 |  #1096

Mookalafalas wrote in post #15473304external link
Up to you. However, you can save a lot by getting an EPL5 or EPM2 instead of the OMD--same sensor and focusing and ISO, but less extensive IS, no viewfinder, no weather proofings. Still--same picture quality for $499? (Amazon special right now). I'm sorely tempted myself right now...

Yep I've looked at those two. The kicker for me are the two $150 rebates on the 12/2 and 45/1.8 if you buy them together with the EM-5. I know the Panny 14mm is quite a bit cheaper than the 12, but the qualities of that 12 are just so damn attractive.

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Jan 10, 2013 22:07 |  #1097

B&H just released a rebate with the OMD and up to three lenses. I'm pretty sure the three you want are on the list. It's $100 for the body and $150 for each lens (up to three lenses max):
http://newschoolofphot​ography.com ...up-three-via-rebates.htmlexternal link

so you'd basically get $550 off your OMD with those 3 lenses if I'm reading it right?
actually, reading what's on there the 12-50 is in both the body section and the lens section, so you can get $400 off ($150 + $150 + $100) if you get it as a kit lens and then get the 12 and 45 as the 2 others or you can get $550 off if you get the body only and then the three lenses on their own. I'm not sure how much they knock off the price of the 12-50 in kits but I'd bet it's about the same either way...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jan 10, 2013 22:09 |  #1098

jacobsen1 wrote in post #15473342external link
B&H just released a rebate with the OMD and up to three lenses. I'm pretty sure the three you want are on the list. It's $100 for the body and $150 for each lens (up to three lenses max):
http://newschoolofphot​ography.com ...up-three-via-rebates.htmlexternal link

so you'd basically get $550 off your OMD with those 3 lenses if I'm reading it right?
actually, reading what's on there the 12-50 is in both the body section and the lens section, so you can get $400 off ($150 + $150 + $100) if you get it as a kit lens and then get the 12 and 45 as the 2 others or you can get $550 off if you get the body only and then the three lenses on their own. I'm not sure how much they knock off the price of the 12-50 in kits but I'd bet it's about the same either way...

Total it would run $2398 - $300 rebate = $2098, plus another 3% with Amazon Visa and 2% with rewards. OK, I need to empty my cart before I do something irrational.

Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Southern Taiwan
Jan 10, 2013 23:18 |  #1099

EPL5 from Amazon for $600, a 14mm for $160 and a 45mm for $320 (both used) and you are at less than $1100. BTW, Markitos is here at POTN selling an OMD for $960 or so.

Call me Al Gear Flickrexternal link
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Jan 11, 2013 06:29 |  #1100

yeah, I switched to the EMP2 over the OMD a month ago. Yes you get the IQ and focus and brains of the OMD in a smaller package but the smaller bodies just feel like toys. I also have a GX1, but it's logic (especially for auto ISO) is just terrible making it no fun to shoot with. If oly made either the epl5 or emp2 in the body of the GX1 it'd be a massive hit IMHO. Not everyone wants/needs/can afford the EVF in the OMD and it also is a LOT bigger which meant I couldn't fit it in my pelican case to go sailing. A bigger case (which I bought) made it significantly harder to take it and get it out quickly so that doesn't work either. I shot with my NEX in the small box all summer...

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Southern Taiwan
Jan 11, 2013 08:34 |  #1101

Yeah, I bought a GX1 last year, but it didn't do it for me either. I just ordered a PL5 though. I want that awesome sensor and high ISO in a little body with a fold-out screen. This will be the fifth time I've gotten a 4/3 body. I hope this is the one!

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mississippi
Jan 11, 2013 09:32 |  #1102

Mookalafalas wrote in post #15474477external link
Yeah, I bought a GX1 last year, but it didn't do it for me either. I just ordered a PL5 though. I want that awesome sensor and high ISO in a little body with a fold-out screen. This will be the fifth time I've gotten a 4/3 body. I hope this is the one!

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,693 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Durt Burg, WV
Jan 11, 2013 11:32 |  #1103

Damn. I wouldn't mind having the 12 and the 75 to compliment my panny 20 and Oly 45

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Jan 11, 2013 15:12 |  #1104

If you don't have PL 25 you're not there yet :).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Southern Taiwan
Jan 11, 2013 22:13 |  #1105

DarthVader wrote in post #15475974external link
If you don't have PL 25 you're not there yet :).

Now why would you want to go and say a thing like that?:mad: I'm trying to stop buying stuff...

My thinking is if you are using the M4/3 to supplement a Canon lineup, then you don't want to get the bulkier lenses--you can just use your Canon with a 50 on it.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Jan 11, 2013 22:34 |  #1106

but I don't want to bring both SLR and MFT at the same time :).

Mookalafalas wrote in post #15477401external link
Now why would you want to go and say a thing like that?:mad: I'm trying to stop buying stuff...

My thinking is if you are using the M4/3 to supplement a Canon lineup, then you don't want to get the bulkier lenses--you can just use your Canon with a 50 on it.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mississippi
Jan 12, 2013 10:44 |  #1107

Bah, 50mm equivalent--boring lens for boring people :D I keed, I keed. Very very nice lens, but just a tiny bit too bulky for me too. Having said that if I were a heavy 50mm user I'd get the 25mm f/1.4, no question.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Jan 12, 2013 11:14 |  #1108

Mookalafalas wrote in post #15477401 (external link)

even the OMD with the 25mm is MUCH smaller than a canon DSLR with a 50mm equivalent:

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://i.imgur.com/Ps0​IB.png
Click here to see our image rules.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/5CgUD.png
http://camerasize.com ....368,154.368,312.30​5,wa,b (external link)

but I tend to agree the 25mm is too big for a MFT system. I prefer the 20mm even with it's slower AF (but I'm moving to a 17mm 1.8).

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Jan 12, 2013 11:43 as a reply to jacobsen1's post |  #1109

I got into M4/3 two years ago with an E-P1 and a Panny 20/1.7, and expanded with MF glass and CCTV glass. I really enjoyed the form-factor of the E-P1, but I did not like it's files above iso 800, and the live view only composition method grew tiresome.

Sold the E-P1 last year, and moved into a new Panasonic G3, mainly for the EVF. I did not think I'd use the swivel touchscreen, but to my surprise those two features are quite useful and get used a lot. Great files too, from the second gen sensor, and useful files all the way up to it's iso 6400 limit.

What I do not like about the G3 is the lame auto iso setting, 200 to 800 only? Come on! An extremely useless Cfn button and a few other nit picks.

Several months ago I bought a refurbed E-PL1, it was cheap and I wanted to see how the weaker AA filter would affect the files. Great camera! I love it and it's output. Yeah, consumer grade access to camera functions, but I can live with that.

Well, I've been saving up to get me an OM-D, it'll be nice to get back to enthusiast controls and an enthusiast body for a platform I truly enjoy. I've considered the E-PL5, but my god that body is small. Also, add a V-F2 and now the E-PL5 costs nearly the same as an OM-D.

M4/3 has been an enjoyable ride so far, and I feel Olympus has the upper hand in the M4/3 photography department over Panasonic.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Mookalafalas
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Southern Taiwan
Jan 12, 2013 12:14 |  #1110

jacobsen1 wrote in post #15478961external link
even the OMD with the 25mm is MUCH smaller than a canon DSLR with a 50mm equivalent:

Sure, but it's all relative. I want the m4/3 so I don't scare people with a big camera. If you are going to use the omd, you might as well just use a 5d, IMO.

sponsored links

280,011 views & 0 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.