Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 14 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 00:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Second outing with my 7D + 400 5.6

Itsed65
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
Hercules, CA
Jan 14, 2012 00:16 |  #1

I think this is a northern harrier, but that is just my best guess using my ipad bird app :)
These were taken at Coyote Hills regional park on the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay. He or she was crusing over the marsh looking for supper I think. I am still trying to get the hang of the right settings with this camera both for shooting and post as you can really tell from the noise in the 3rd shot. Some of that is pollen floating in the air too however. The bottom line is that I'm having fun though, and that's what matters!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6664350657_c3dbf7a018_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7009/6664350563_a4b2c73ec0_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6664349869_7fbfcd5c6e_b.jpg

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 and a Sony RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
MATT0404
485 posts
Joined Nov 2006
NW PA
Jan 14, 2012 00:23 |  #2

Great work so far!

flickrexternal link
500pxexternal link

No ­ Angle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Socal, CA
Jan 14, 2012 00:26 |  #3

I think they look pretty nice. Looks like you are shooting around sun down or golden hour which I find is tough to get Birds to look right since the angle of the sun is so low that they get washed out with that golden light or there is a ton of shadow. I tried today since I rented the 400 5.6 and that golden light I think makes things look soft since it is a softer light I guess. Maybe some have good luck at that time of day like you did but I dont seem to. Yours look nice though and you got close enough to get the detail. I posted a thread a few hours ago with the birds I got and I am wondering if the 400 I got is a lemon, but then again every lens I put on my T2i seems to not produce sharp pics consistantly like others get. I shot in continous mode to have a better chance at sharp pics. The T2i just cant handle the AF needed it seems.

That 7D seems to be key in geting good shots like yours with BIF. I had a hell of time today getting in focus sharp shots today with the Vulture that was circling overhead watching my dog. I had to add a highpass layer to sharpen them up enough but the eyes stil were not as clear as I would like. Your shots the birds eyes look to be in focus and sharp.

7D / 70-200 F4L IS / 400 5.6L / 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 Kit / CS5 plus other software.
My Smugmugexternal link

txcanon
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
Kerrville, Texas
Jan 14, 2012 00:28 |  #4

Nicely done so far. It's indeed a Harrier and looks to be a female. I don't see any noise in the third picture at all. :confused: Photographing birds is fun and can be addictive. :)

Brad
My SmugMug Galleryexternal link

No ­ Angle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Socal, CA
Jan 14, 2012 00:40 |  #5

You know what he may be seeing is the same thing I am seeing. I see some pixelation as far as the transition between pixels being blocky looking but that usually has more to do with the quality of the monitor being able to display pixels properly. My monitors are junk TN panels and sometimes I see this with my photos, but it could also be the compression into a jpeg was not at the highest quality. I see this in my monitor at work since it is a cheap POS Viewsonic and it has no ability to display pictures properly and the pixels are very blocky looking if the compression is poor. I would say that a simple redo of the photo and saving into a tiff that is cropped to reduce file size would solve it. I got around the quality degrade with jpeg compression that way a few times. I turned what would of been 30mb tiff into a 3mb tiff that way.

txcanon wrote in post #13701924external link
Nicely done so far. It's indeed a Harrier and looks to be a female. I don't see any noise in the third picture at all. :confused: Photographing birds is fun and can be addictive. :)

7D / 70-200 F4L IS / 400 5.6L / 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 Kit / CS5 plus other software.
My Smugmugexternal link

Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,439 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Tol Eressea
Jan 14, 2012 06:45 |  #6

You got it right,, Have fun, you (me) learn better that way, Well done!

1DX, 400/f2.8 and other Canon gear
The shadow of a feather is one of the goals

CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Lilburn, GA
Jan 14, 2012 06:48 as a reply to No Angle's post |  #7

Fun is what it's all about itsed, and you should be having fun as you're doing an admirable job with those captures.
I'm w/Brad i.e. I don't see any terrible level of noise in the 3rd shot either....does that mean I have a "high-end" monitor? ;)

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links

696 views & 0 likes for this thread
Second outing with my 7D + 400 5.6
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.