Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 19 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 19:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

17TSE or 24TSEII

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Jan 19, 2012 19:08 |  #1

Plan A was to add a 5D2 or switch to 5D3 and get a 24tse as the primary quality landscape lens.

I shoot most of my landscapes with 17-55 at 17 on 7D, sometimes use my 10-20 (when 17 isnt wide enough) but it lacks quality IMO and isnt so sharp on the RHS and corners ( I could get a better UWA but not bothered if I go FF I will add 17-40L).

Now I am being tempted with a 17tse and it can work well on both crop and ff. I can tilt stitch for up to 8mm or so! Downsides is filters and f4 (no biggie there) - and tricky to use on flash bodies.

Not likely to be enough money for both... :( (for now!).

But I have seen results with the 1.4TC also which look impressive too! (23.6mm or so)

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Australia
Jan 19, 2012 21:42 |  #2

I have a TS-E 24 II and I use it both on 5D and 7D and the results are impressive. Many people, me included, debated at some stage whether to get the 17 or 24 mm. I went with 24 and it is 95% of times the best FL for me. I suspect 17 mm would have been a bit too wide for me most of times. I'm starting to believe that one TS-E is not enough. :-(

24 II takes filters and has a conventional lens cap.

Shift-stitch is really handy.

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto ON
Jan 19, 2012 22:30 |  #3

I tested my 17 tse + 1.4x Mk3 against a friend's 24 tse Mk2. Mine was sharper - see the lens archive for the furore that created :D
It is quite easy to make an adapter that allows the 17 tse to accept Lee filters (4x4 and 4x6), so that doesn't really count as an issue.

Finally - I think you're mistaken over the maximum width - you can produce an image that's 60x24 mm or 48x36 mm (both sizes calculated for ff sensor.) It's incorrect to think of this as a 10 or 13 mm equivalent (but I'll admit that it is helpful to do so.) The image scale still corresponds to a 17mm lens so that you get resolution that is somewhat better than a 10 or 13mm lens would deliver.

Using a 1.6 crop, the maximum image dimensions are different - iirc roughly 46x15 mm and 39x22.5 mm. You need to make quite a few more images to overlap them properly.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickrexternal link

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Australia
Jan 19, 2012 22:56 |  #4

noisejammer wrote in post #13735645external link
I tested my 17 tse + 1.4x Mk3 against a friend's 24 tse Mk2. Mine was sharper

I don't think so mate. ;-)a

17 going against 24 II, maybe, but 17+TC, I find it hard to accept.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jan 20, 2012 00:23 |  #5

I own both but, the differences are of obvious when used. If I had to pick one it would be the 24 bcoz' it could take filters. Although, I'm in the middle of making a rig for my 17 TS so it can take filters.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Jan 20, 2012 09:23 |  #6

Rob, just an fyi. The only problem you'll encounter with your 7D and a TS lens is shifting up. It will hit the pop up flash thingy. Know what I mean?

Numenorean
Goldmember
4,994 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Jan 20, 2012 09:39 |  #7

actprivate wrote in post #13735745external link
I don't think so mate. ;-)a

17 going against 24 II, maybe, but 17+TC, I find it hard to accept.

Could be more the user of the 24 than the lens.

Every reliable source I've seen has the 24TSEII as the sharpest Canon lens they have ever touched.

Gear List

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto ON
Jan 20, 2012 13:09 |  #8

Numenorean wrote in post #13737368external link
Could be more the user of the 24 than the lens.

Um... no - with respect, I think I did this test with reasonable care and based on the accepted wisdon, was quite (read very) surprised at the result.

Technique - The camera was mounted on a heavy tripod and ballhead. I used magnified live view and a 3x loupe to focus, I released the shutter from MLU using a cable. The comparison was done at f/8.

Test 1 - I focused at the centre on a glint, shot 3 images (refocusing each time) and compared the best. Result they were essentially indistinguishable.

Test 2 - I then attempted to compensate for field curvature - I focused a corner of the frame on a glint, shot 3 images (refocusing each time) and compared the best. Result was that the 17+1.4 Mk3 was obviously sharper.

My conclusion was that since I usually use TS-E lenses at f/8 or f/11, the TS-E 17 + 1.4x Mk3 is a more than adequate alternative for me.... I make no comment on whether it's good enough for anybody else...

Caveats
1. It was one 17+1.4 tested against a borrowed 24 Mk2.
2. The light was changing - it happens
3. The centre of the field was about 1.5 - 2 km away.
4. I only checked one corner - time and light constraints.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
17TSE or 24TSEII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.