I have a EOS 550D and it says Busy lots

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 02:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

pinkdaisy
Joined Jan 2012
104 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi, when I am taking quite a few photos, the camera comes up Busy, and when in a photo shoot this
can be very annoying as then I miss great shots :-( sometimes the best ones grrr
Is there anything I can do to make the busy less or?

I am a newbe so dont know lots about my camera I just have a good eye on taking photos.. need to learn lot's.

Post #1, Jan 26, 2012 02:52:08

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kurt ­ segers
Joined Aug 2011
52 posts
Belgium
[MORE/SHARE]

Never encountered this with my 550D, does this happen when you are taking burst series photographs? What speed of memory card do you have in there?
A slow memory card could cause this when taking burst shots as it can't write the data away fast enough causing the camera buffer to get full.
edit: especially when you are shooting RAW as opposed to jpg due to the extra filesizes of RAW images

That's all I can think of to be honest, maybe others will chip in with other suggestions or fixes if they have experience with this issue.

Post #2, Jan 26, 2012 02:58:40

Canon 550D / 18-135 kit lens / nifty fifty
A few photos on Flickrexternal link

pinkdaisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
104 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I changed my memory card from a sandisk 8gb to a 16gb but it is still doing it, some times it does burts of photos, can I ask about the RAW ? can I change this to see if it helps or see if it is on or not?

Post #3, Jan 26, 2012 03:06:21

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

How fast is your new sd card? Usually there is a number indicating the speed -- typically something between >0 to 10.

What mode are you shooting in?

Post #4, Jan 26, 2012 09:36:40 as a reply to pinkdaisy's post 6 hours earlier.

Donate if you love POTN

pinkdaisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
104 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

There is a number 10 in a circle on the card is that it? I have been shooting on portrait or automatic at the minute untill I get used to the shutter speeds etc etc.

Post #5, Jan 26, 2012 09:48:17

sponsored links
Sorarse
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
2,193 posts
Kent, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Have you got the noise reduction function switched on, as this can slow your camera down if you are taking a lot of continuous shots or long exposures?

Post #6, Jan 26, 2012 09:49:00

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.comexternal link
Canon PowerShot G2

dexy101
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
1,710 posts
Aberdeen, Scotland.
[MORE/SHARE]

I had this a lot with using the flash a lot on my 550D but it may also be your card.

Post #7, Jan 26, 2012 09:51:36

Flickrexternal link
Gear List

pinkdaisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
104 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

can you tell me how to check this Sorarse?

Post #8, Jan 26, 2012 09:58:26

pinkdaisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
104 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

my memory disc is a exsteme hd video 8 and a 16mg san disk they both ahve number 10's in cirlcles on the front cant see anything on the back

Post #9, Jan 26, 2012 09:59:40

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

pinkdaisy wrote in post #13771736external link
There is a number 10 in a circle on the card is that it? I have been shooting on portrait or automatic

This is a fast card and the mode you're in does not produce any raw files. So, I don't think it is the card. It might be that you are too fast for the camera?

Somebody with a 550D might chime in - I personally never had the problem with the 450D. But I am also a slow shooter:lol:

Post #10, Jan 26, 2012 10:01:09

Donate if you love POTN

highergr0und
Joined Aug 2011
545 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You are probably just filling the buffer..... If you take a bunch of shots then look down at the camera, it will say busy because it's trying to complete the writing process. I notice it on my t3i from time to time, but I shoot RAW. JPG will produce many more shots, but the buffer still needs to clear.

What are you shooting so rapidly?

Post #11, Jan 26, 2012 10:32:41

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

sponsored links
pinkdaisy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
104 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Can I ask what the difrence in RAW and JPG? and how do I change this on my camera?

Post #12, Jan 26, 2012 10:41:13

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
404 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

A raw file is an other file format for pictures. Check out ...
http://photography-on-the.net ...546&highlight=what+​is+raw

You can set that in the setting - there you usually can choose the jpeg resolution (quality) and if you would like to have raw or raw + jpeg. Check out the manual.

You only get raw files when you shoot in P, M, Av, or Tv, .....

By the way: When you do decrease the jpeg quality then you actually will get less 'busy' signs. The price you pay are pictures with lesser quality. But you might want to go for this trade off?

Post #13, Jan 26, 2012 11:39:08 as a reply to pinkdaisy's post 57 minutes earlier.

Donate if you love POTN

RTPVid
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
3,365 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you shooting in burst mode or not? Do you have noise reduction enabled or not? Are you shooting with the flash or not? (I can't see where you answered any of these questions).

(Don't get sidetracked on RAW v JPEG. That is unlikely to be pertinent unless you are also shooting in burst mode).

Post #14, Jan 26, 2012 11:54:08

Tom

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2010
15,984 posts
Nelson, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

pinkdaisy wrote in post #13772061external link
Can I ask what the difrence in RAW and JPG? and how do I change this on my camera?

Read the manual?

Take the advice that said turn off noise reduction if it's on, and any other presets that may slow the thing down.

Are you shooting multiple shots? And if so, is it very necessary? What kind of subjects are you shooting?

I use "one shot" most of the time....

Many of the questions you are asking a VERY basic...just sit down with your manual or with someone who knows and learn the basics at least...you'll find that it makes photography much more fun!

Post #15, Jan 26, 2012 12:04:05

Growing old disgracefully!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have a EOS 550D and it says Busy lots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES