Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 12:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Natural Looking HDR

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by kirkt. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 17, 2017 08:47 |  #2506

Luminosity masking is a powerful approach to compositing exposures for sure. One of the major issues with it is the lack of physical reality it often introduces into the tones of the composite image. Usually, the artist will decide that the sky from one exposure will look good with the foreground from another exposure, etc. and mask the one into the other to get pleasing exposures for each element. However, while this may produce technically noise free and pleasing color for each part of the composite, the relative exposures may not be realistically or visually compatible compared to how our visual system would interpret the scene.

This is obviously an artistic choice, but I often look at images that have been produced with luminosity masking and get an impression of the scene that is "not quite right" visually. Again, just an observation.

HDR merging adds light linearly, in a physically correct way, to produce the reference 32bit file. Various tone mappers try to compress the tonal range while preserving the perceptual contrast of our visual system. Sometimes I will tone map an HDR dataset to get an impression of the relative exposures of various areas or features in an HDR scene and then use that result as a guide to a luminosity mask composite, where I can manually do a better job of deghosting or compositing than the more automated HDR merger.

Learning the concepts behind Adams' zone system and trying to establish a visual impression of various zones in a scene will also help in the preparation of the composite image when using luminosity masks. While observing the scene, the photographer can make some notes about their impression of the relative exposure of the sky versus the foreground, etc. and then attempt to preserve this relationship in the luminosity masked composite.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
woollyback
Joined Oct 2005
Aug 17, 2017 11:26 as a reply to post 18429673 |  #2507

Fantastic image

woollyback
Joined Oct 2005
Aug 17, 2017 11:28 |  #2508

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18429772 (external link)
Nice!
Where?

Looks like Adirondack guide boats.

CDS - from Derwentwater in the English Lake District

You can hire these rowing boats and go for an excursion around the lake or alternatively you can be guided in one of the tourist boats

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Bianchi.
Aug 17, 2017 11:36 |  #2509

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18429772 (external link)
Nice!
Where?

Looks like Adirondack guide boats.

I'm not answering for Woolly, but I think he's from Scotland.. So they may be from there.

I was admiring the boats also. However, I do enjoy the Adirondacks, spend lots of time in those Mts.

**Edit** I see Woolly has replied

My Gear flickrexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,712 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 17, 2017 11:44 |  #2510

woollyback wrote in post #18430043 (external link)
CDS - from Derwentwater in the English Lake District

You can hire these rowing boats and go for an excursion around the lake or alternatively you can be guided in one of the tourist boats

Thanks for your reply.
My father has an affinity for the mentioned guide boats, i will be pointing him towards your image. i wonder if he knows from whence they derived their design. (assuming the old world had them first ;) )
The local boats were lighter, and have a taller bow then your boats, but truly do look similar in construction.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Aug 17, 2017 12:07 |  #2511

J-Blake wrote in post #18429731 (external link)
There is no comparison IMHO between this technique and the others you posted a couple days. Very natural and a great image! (watch the slit halo on the top of the big rock)

Thanks Blake you are on point about the slight Halo, I was on my early learning process into the world of Luminosity masks at the time. Since then I have learned how to easily remove them, using a couple different methods.

ejenner wrote in post #18429771 (external link)
Agree. When you use Lum Masks, you sometimes will still bleed into other areas (assuming you are brushing in the effect). You can either amend the mask, or remove the halo afterwards. Either way you will need something else to select on. In this case (and most cases in landscapes) the magic wand will do the job. For instance the sky around the rock is a distinctive hue. Using the MW with a small tolerance to build up a selection and then with the black brush erase the lightening you used for the rock in the sky.

If the halo is due to the HDR itself, then you will need to use a light mask, maybe adjust it with a curves adjustment and then darken carefully around the rock to reduce the halo.

The very upper edge of the rock looks like possibly a sharpening aritfact. There are two options here, either don't apply sharpening, or reduce it significantly on that edge, or go over it carefully with a clone tool.

I think this image is worth the extra effort to get it 'perfect'. It's actually pretty quick with this image. This took me just a few mins.

Thanks ejenner for also shinning in, agree, and you are on point like Blake.. See the comment I left for him

Stiga wrote in post #18429836 (external link)
Thank you so much :-)

Yeas, the clean air (and plenty of exercise) has a lot to do with it - but I could do with quite a few spare body parts now :rolleyes:

Yes clean air is definitely one of the components, also the higher in elevation the better. Exercise most important as well.. I thinks in years to come science will progress to the point the body parts factor wont even be in the equation, unfortunately not in yours or my time on the planet.

woollyback wrote in post #18430040 (external link)
Fantastic image

Thanks Woolly :-)

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Aug 17, 2017 12:15 |  #2512

kirkt wrote in post #18429929 (external link)
Luminosity masking is a powerful approach to compositing exposures for sure. One of the major issues with it is the lack of physical reality it often introduces into the tones of the composite image. Usually, the artist will decide that the sky from one exposure will look good with the foreground from another exposure, etc. and mask the one into the other to get pleasing exposures for each element. However, while this may produce technically noise free and pleasing color for each part of the composite, the relative exposures may not be realistically or visually compatible compared to how our visual system would interpret the scene.

This is obviously an artistic choice, but I often look at images that have been produced with luminosity masking and get an impression of the scene that is "not quite right" visually. Again, just an observation.

HDR merging adds light linearly, in a physically correct way, to produce the reference 32bit file. Various tone mappers try to compress the tonal range while preserving the perceptual contrast of our visual system. Sometimes I will tone map an HDR dataset to get an impression of the relative exposures of various areas or features in an HDR scene and then use that result as a guide to a luminosity mask composite, where I can manually do a better job of deghosting or compositing than the more automated HDR merger.

Learning the concepts behind Adams' zone system and trying to establish a visual impression of various zones in a scene will also help in the preparation of the composite image when using luminosity masks. While observing the scene, the photographer can make some notes about their impression of the relative exposure of the sky versus the foreground, etc. and then attempt to preserve this relationship in the luminosity masked composite.

kirk

Good point, to have in your arsenal first, a tone mapped image before creating the luminosity masks.

russellsnr2
968 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Aug 17, 2017 14:20 as a reply to post 18429590 |  #2513

Will look into it deeper any glitches using ML?
I have used ML for around 3 years or more, started on the 600D, to date never had a problem, I think people worry to much about ML but on a user ratio basis I would think only 1% have had big problems. I only use it for stills photography as have no interest in video, Dual ISO with moving subjects is good as is the fact that you can extend the Canons option of only 3 bracketed shots on a lot of cameras, Focus stacking again I have used with good results but my advice would be as it is free try it on the 7D if you don't like it there is an option to remove it from the sd card and revert back to Canon only options. Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
East Texas
Aug 17, 2017 18:19 |  #2514

Bianchi wrote in post #18429673 (external link)
My usual work flow for merging layers is Luminosity masks
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Bianchi in
./showthread.php?p=184​29673&i=i249218878
forum: HDR Creation

Much more natural!

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Technique is so secondary to ideas." Rick Wright - Pink Floyd

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Aug 18, 2017 05:45 |  #2515

Victoria Street, Edinburgh

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

h14nha
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
South Wales, UK
Aug 18, 2017 16:11 |  #2516

Stiga wrote in post #18417492 (external link)
A couple from a holiday 7 years ago.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Stiga in
./showthread.php?p=184​17492&i=i223078161

./showthread.php?p=184​17492&i=i75570901

That Panasonic was my first try at a 'better' camera. In good light it produced quite nice pics.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / :D Fuji X Pro1 / XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Stiga.
Aug 19, 2017 04:20 |  #2517

h14nha wrote in post #18431176 (external link)
That Panasonic was my first try at a 'better' camera. In good light it produced quite nice pics.

Hi Ian :-)

It was my second Panasonic bridge camera, I started with the FZ5 - superb but no RAW. The FZ28 did not take such good shots, the resolution at infinity was poor -?

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Aug 19, 2017 07:55 |  #2518

Dusk last night outside my apartment window.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4337/36667980555_7514b7e1c7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XSdZ​8i] (external link)OG1A4247_HDR (external link) by dabronxbomber (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

UK_MARK
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Portsmouth UK
Aug 19, 2017 14:57 |  #2519

woollyback wrote in post #18429498 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by woollyback in
./showthread.php?p=184​29498&i=i91986615

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by woollyback in
./showthread.php?p=184​29498&i=i131085101

Great work buddy.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear- - Canon 7d mk2 - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sigma 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA 70 F2.8 EX DG Macro - Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM - Sigma TC 1401- Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod - Sigma 580 EX II - Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Flash - Lee Filter system - Lowepro Trekker AW II.

UK_MARK
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Portsmouth UK
Aug 19, 2017 14:59 |  #2520

Stiga wrote in post #18428111 (external link)
Near Arisaig, NW Scotland

./showthread.php?p=184​28111&i=i33225608
./showthread.php?p=184​28111&i=i247686058

Very nice Martin.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear- - Canon 7d mk2 - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sigma 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA 70 F2.8 EX DG Macro - Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM - Sigma TC 1401- Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod - Sigma 580 EX II - Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Flash - Lee Filter system - Lowepro Trekker AW II.

sponsored links

479,164 views & 2211 likes for this thread
Natural Looking HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.