Thread started 30 Jan 2012 (Monday) 10:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

syborgis
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2012
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi everybody,
I am thinking of buying a new DSLR camera and I had an offer of my friend to buy his old Canon 5D Mark I. Then I searched on internet and have found that a new body of 600D is at the same price.
I don't need built-in flash and possibility to shoot movies, so now I wonder which camera: 5D or 600D would produce the better quality of image with the same lens?
Thanks for your advices!

Post #1, Jan 30, 2012 10:49:26

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
5,594 posts
Canada, Ontario, Milton
[MORE/SHARE]

Rebel with kit lens? Which lens 5d comes with?
If none, you'll need at least 400$ for couple of primes or zoom lens.

Post #2, Jan 30, 2012 11:06:59

Siteexternal link. Flickrexternal link. DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
5,394 posts
Dallas TX
[MORE/SHARE]

They are very different cameras. If photos were the ONLY purpose, particularly portraits, landscapes, or "studio" type work, I'd go 5d. Anything else and I'd go 600d (you could get a 60d thru CLP for less than the price of a new 600d)

Post #3, Jan 30, 2012 11:33:32

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2011
2,551 posts
rural Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]

I went and looked up the 5D specs vs. 600D. From the looks of the specs, the 5D has an older processor (Digic II vs Digic IV), an older autofocus system and an older exposure metering system for starters. The 600D also offers remote flash control, etc. I believe the 600D actually has a slightly faster FPS burst rate, though a smaller buffer so it can't sustain it as long.

I haven't shot either camera. The 5D is full-frame, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has more noise issues at lower ISO than the 600D just because of the advances in noise control over the years - you could probably verify that through reviews - maybe dpreview? If it were me, I'd probably lean towards the 600D even though it is a Rebel and a crop sensor because of the newer technology and the warranty (I have a thing about at least a year of protection when spending that kind of money.

Post #4, Jan 30, 2012 11:42:27

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

mickeyb105
Joined Dec 2011
969 posts
Vero Beach, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

syborgis wrote in post #13794243external link
Hi everybody,
I am thinking of buying a new DSLR camera and I had an offer of my friend to buy his old Canon 5D Mark I. Then I searched on internet and have found that a new body of 600D is at the same price.
I don't need built-in flash and possibility to shoot movies, so now I wonder which camera: 5D or 600D would produce the better quality of image with the same lens?
Thanks for your advices!

Coming from a guy who is very, very happy with his new 60D, I have no problem saying that the 5Dc takes landscape pictures to die for. It will be my second camera as soon as I can justify one. If you are shopping cameras purely for specs, you probably wouldn't give the 5Dc a second look compared to either the 600D or 60D . . . but the information isn't complete.

You need to figure out what kind of photography you are going to do with your camera before you buy one. The 600D is a great all-purpose tool for pretty much anything you need—the 60D is simply a better all-around version of the 600D. As one poster mentioned, you can get a refurbished 60D for about the price of the 600D. Also, check into the Canon Loyalty Program.

If you are going to do portrait and landscape photography, the 5Dc is a the best bargain out there. Lenses won't be cheap, but a 50mm 1.8 will get you started for under $100.

Check out the pics here: this

. . . before you rush to any conclusions on what kind of pictures the 5Dc is capable of taking. In fact, do as much research as you can! If you are shooting fast-moving subjects or sports, then the 5Dc isn't for you. Same if you want to shoot movies.

Post #5, Jan 30, 2012 13:05:22

6D, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 17-40 L Canon 135 L,Canon 200 2.8 L ii, Canon 580 ex II, Canon Pixma Pro-100
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
TweakMDS
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
2,242 posts
Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the 5D would offer a much better image quality. I use mine a lot and absolutely love it. Of course the 60D has some advantages, but the 5D is still a real "photographers' camera" and the end result will most likely be much, much better. Full frame will give you a much shallower depth of field, even with mediocre lenses.

I'd definitely go for the 5D, provided it doesn't have too many actuations on it. Used 5d's also often come with an extra battery if people move up to a 5DII.
Pair it with a Tamron 28-75, or score an old 28-135 + 50 1.8 and you'll have yourself a great system.

Post #6, Jan 30, 2012 13:11:11

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickrexternal link
"My featured shots"external link

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
1,795 posts
too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a T3i (600D) and a 5D. The former rarely leaves the bag.

Post #7, Jan 30, 2012 13:16:44

Phase One 645DF+/P45+, Canon 5DIII
http://www.foton-foto.com/external link
https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFotoexternal link

bfleck51
Joined Jan 2009
400 posts
Chicago,southside
[MORE/SHARE]

5d for sure...these 2 bodys are not even in the same league. The new 5dll has the same focus system as the 5d. No matter what lens you put on the 5d the IQ is going to be much better. And yes you can shoot birds and sports with it also. As long as you keep your iso under 1600 your going to have prety clean images....it may not have the faster frame rate as some of the others but if you work on your timming some your gonna get great shots!

Post #8, Jan 30, 2012 13:21:04

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/external link
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

RhysPhotograph.Me
Joined Nov 2011
504 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Another 5D classic vote.

Post #9, Jan 30, 2012 13:24:08

Wedding photographyexternal link

BuckyN8
Joined Oct 2010
352 posts
Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I would go with the T3i, it will carry its resale value a little longer since it was just introduced to the market not too long ago if you decide to upgrade anytime soon.

Post #10, Jan 30, 2012 13:50:12

RhysPhotograph.Me
Joined Nov 2011
504 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

BuckyN8 wrote in post #13795259external link
I would go with the T3i, it will carry its resale value a little longer since it was just introduced to the market not too long ago if you decide to upgrade anytime soon.

Complete opposite. New Rebel bodies have lost much more value than used 5D bodies. The 5D is the better camera... simples...

Post #11, Jan 30, 2012 14:00:35

Wedding photographyexternal link

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2007
5,335 posts
Silicon Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

The 5D is going to be the clear winner here for everything other than the screen and sheer resolution (but see below).

The fact that it's full frame means you get more depth of field flexibility -- you can go shallower than you can with a crop camera.

The autofocus system, while older, is still better than what's in the current generation Rebels except for its layout. The 5D center point has hidden expansion points around it that help it for low light as well as for servo tracking. The downside is its layout -- the focus points are clustered around the center, so you have no "rule of thirds" coverage with it. You will be doing the "focus-recompose" dance more than with the Rebel.

Based on what's been reported around here, the image quality will be roughly equivalent at high ISOs, and better at low ISOs. In fact, some regard the 5D's low ISO image quality as nearly the best that's out there -- even better than that of the 5D2. The antialiasing filter is very weak, so images look very sharp and detailed. That will partially offset the real resolution difference. The larger size of the sensor, combined with its lower resolution, means the 5D isn't going to be nearly as demanding of glass resolving power as the 600D. The 600D's ultra-high-resolution crop sensor is extremely demanding of glass, and only the best is capable of resolving well enough to match the capabilities of its sensor.

The 5D has already seen the bulk of its depreciation, and while it will probably continue to lose value, it will do so at a substantially lower rate than the 600D would.

No, in this case, if it were me, I'd be going with the 5D for sure. There may be an apparent difference in the price of glass, but it is apparent only. There does exist very inexpensive glass for the 5D that is nonetheless still good, such as the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, or the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS.

Post #12, Jan 30, 2012 15:11:36

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

mystik610
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
1,253 posts
Houston, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13795326external link
Complete opposite. New Rebel bodies have lost much more value than used 5D bodies. The 5D is the better camera... simples...

New rebels are released on a yearly basis….sometimes more often than that….plus the used market is flooded with rebels from people who eventually upgrade to a xxD or xD series camera. I made a point to sell my T2i before the T4i is announced.

Post #13, Jan 30, 2012 15:42:00

5DIII - a7r - ∑35A - ∑50A - 85L - 135L - 16-35 F4 IS - 24-70 F2.8II - 70-200 F2.8 ISII

watt100
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
13,790 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

mickeyb105 wrote in post #13795033external link
If you are going to do portrait and landscape photography, the 5Dc is a the best bargain out there. Lenses won't be cheap, but a 50mm 1.8 will get you started for under $100.

I agree with the others, the 5D wins on image quality but check the condition, if something goes wrong on this oldie model it can get expensive to fix!

Post #14, Jan 31, 2012 06:04:47

MGiddings ­ Photography
Joined Mar 2010
953 posts
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I just bought a 5D and to be honest it is just fantastic. Been using Mk2s for ages and needed another back up. It has its bad points re the LCD screen but I would pick it up against any Canon crop sensor camera out there.

Post #15, Jan 31, 2012 06:26:48

www.mgiddings.comexternal link
Photography Blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D vs. 600D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES