FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 30 Jan 2012 (Monday) 13:27   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

omarsultan
Joined Dec 2011
34 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

I was intrigued by the article on the coming annular eclipse in the Feb '12 edition of Sky and Telescope since it will be in my neighborhood. So, two newbie questions:

• Do I simply need a solar filter for my telescope--is there any particular kind of solar filter?
  • Any hints on exposure?

Thanks,

Omar

Post #1, Jan 30, 2012 13:27:21

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,423 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

omarsultan wrote in post #13795141external link
I was intrigued by the article on the coming annular eclipse in the Feb '12 edition of Sky and Telescope since it will be in my neighborhood. So, two newbie questions:

Do I simply need a solar filter for my telescope--is there any particular kind of solar filter?
Any hints on exposure?

Thanks,

Omar

You want to make a filter from Baader AstroSolar Film to fit over the front of your 70-200 with the 1.4 attached. There's a guide here. Make sure the filter cannot be knocked from the lens by accident - use a lot of tape. Do not be tempted to use mylar, welding glass or ND filters. There's a good chance that they'll block the visible light but pass the IR. If you're lucky it'll just fry your sensor, if you're unlucky it'll fry your retina.

You really want a longer lens than the 70-200, even with a 1.4x. To fill the frame you'd need something like 1500mm on an APS-C, so 280mm will make for a small image.

For exposure - try it on the sun before the eclipse. About 1/400s; f8; ISO200 will be a good starting point.

Post #2, Jan 31, 2012 07:00:01

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

omarsultan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
34 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks! ( Again :) )

Post #3, Jan 31, 2012 18:35:21 as a reply to hollis_f's post 11 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting the Annular Eclipse
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES