Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 30 Jan 2012 (Monday) 19:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #225: Elements

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Jan 30, 2012 19:37 |  #1

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #225

Elements

Time to warm up the Googleexternal link search or dig out the Dictionary because Elements is the theme, and it can be interpreted many different ways. Show off, get funky, get creative but most importantly have a great experience!

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 6:00 p.m. Pacific time Tuesday, 7 February 2012. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean, and both Family and Work-safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time Tuesday, February 7, 2012.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Previous Winners

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links
Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Jan 31, 2012 06:24 |  #2

Classical Elements...

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6503265723_a060ac140b_b.jpg

7D: 1/13s, f/8.0, ISO1000, 53mm (35mm eq:84.8mm)

kevan's lensexternal link

MSJGD
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Jan 31, 2012 14:40 as a reply to Kevan's post |  #3

At sea, Seychelles

IMAGE: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/jgdphoto/Seychelles-1.jpg

7D
f11
1/320
28mm

Jean-Guy
7D, 17-40 1:4 L, 70-300 1:4-5.6 L, 50mm 1:1.8
photosjgd.caexternal link

N.V.M.
Goldmember
2,185 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010
North Vancouver,Canada
Jan 31, 2012 18:43 as a reply to MSJGD's post |  #4

Beautiful Rain

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,650 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Feb 01, 2012 19:53 as a reply to N.V.M.'s post |  #5

Earth, Wind, Fire & Water

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5DII
70-200mm lens @ 100 mm
f/5.6
1/200
ISO 800

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Feb 02, 2012 16:31 |  #6

Night Snow Motion

Night Snow Motion

IMAGE: http://johnbdigital.com/landscape/night-snow-motion.jpg

Technical Details for
Night Snow Motion

Camera - Canon EOS 60D
Film / Media - SanDisk Extreme HD 8GB
Lens - Tamron EF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3
Shooting Mode - Manual
Tv ( Shutter Speed ) - 1.6 sec
Av ( Aperture Value ) - F/8
Metering Mode - Spot
ISO Speed - 200
Focal Length - 70mm
Flash - Off
White Balance - Tungsten
AF Mode - Manual
Color Space - sRGB
 (external link)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
Seattle, don't move here, it's wet and cold
Feb 04, 2012 22:06 |  #7

Ice Storm!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6727498457_d44db77c3e_b.jpg

Taken on January 18, 2012 at 11.34am PST
Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 100 mm
ISO Speed 800

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

teekay
Goldmember
2,614 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Feb 05, 2012 15:18 as a reply to thatkatmat's post |  #8

Element 79: Au - Gold

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

60D 1/6 sec f/6.3 ISO 200 17mm (Tamron 17-50)

GarryKirsch
283 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Feb 06, 2012 18:02 |  #9

elements of symmetry

elements of symmetry

IMAGE: http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/garrykirsch/Speed/icy_reflection.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Shutter Speed: 1/500
Aperture Value: 6.3
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Focal Length: 84mm

Garry............... May you pack two days of livin' into every day you're given.
Canon EOS 60D, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
www.birdingandmore.comexternal link ../.. www.kirschphotography.​comexternal link

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Feb 07, 2012 21:00 as a reply to GarryKirsch's post |  #10

Thank you all for participating. I was hoping for a some more periodic table action, thanks teekay, but it was just not meant to be. Still, lovely set of images this round.

A word about my Nitpicks: If you have a watermark, I mention it as a Nitpick. I DO NOT PENALIZE for the use of a watermark, however, they annoy me and thus earn the Nitpick mention.

Now for some words:

Kevan:
Several classical elements are represented in your lovely tonal capture. Though there is limited action, there is enough to keep me busy. Meandering dark ripples anchor the image and slowly dissipate moving upward and into warmer tones. Nicely done. Nitpick: though small, the item upper left of frame distracts. Also, there appears to be some orange clipping in the ocean. Not drastic, but I see a little.

Jean-Guy:
Nicely weighted image with wispy clouds, and a treasure hunter seeking the pot of gold (Au) at the end of the nicely arching rainbow. Several classical elements represented here (with the possibility of some Au at rainbow's end and probably some chemical elements in the plane as well) in this well exposed image. Well done. Nitpick: I'd a cropped it a little more on the left and top. Watermark.

N.V.M.:
A very lovely lady enduring a barrage of classical elements, her silver (Ag) earings sway in the wind, pauses briefly left of frame to give this composition a good balance. Lovely colors and exposure, and subject isolation is very good. Well done. Nitpick: No exif; I want to know the details. Border and watermark.

Mo:
Classical elements meet the byproduct of earth in it's internal creation of chemical elements found in the periodic table. The thickness of vapor from this Hawaiian volcano has always fascinated me. Nice composition and exposure. Nitpick: Does not seem as sharp as it could be, and lacks a little punch.

John:
Cold, bleak, austere and nightmarish...classica​l elements represented in this Kafka forest. Well done in going the extra mile for the capture. What I see I like, however see nitpicks. Nitpicks: I really wish this attachment (and the linked image) were larger, both are just too darn small. Watermark.

Matt:
Classical meets chemical in a nicely composed capture that leads one from blur to subject. In this instance, the border does not annoy me. Not much else to say, Matt, except well done. Nitpick: I see this image as b&w, and I wish it were. Watermark.

teekay:
Here we have a human Au display, complete it Au nail polish and Au-ish shag carpet. Isn't shag carpet in the periodic table? Should be. DoF and exposure are spot on. Nice effort. Nitpick: The pose of the young ladies foot just is not doing it for me. And the cloning on the leg and ankle is not desirable at all. Cloning can be real tricky especially if there is a lot to clone out...practice, practice practice.

Garry:
Chilly classical elements are fused and spliced to create the Antarctic Tundra Spider Sub King Crab from Southern Sri Lanka (;))...well, that's what I see. From what I can gather, exposure seems to be very good for this subject matter, with very good DoF. I am both confused AND freaked out by your submission...and that is not a bad thing. Nicely done. Nitpick: I normally dig the unusual, but the 'seam' between both sides coupled with the exact symmetry of both sides tells my brain that this was manipulated this way and not a freak of nature. I also wonder what the original image looks like.

Remember, I am no authority. I'm just a dude with a camera sharing his opinions and views in the above comments.

here we go:

Runner up:
Matt

Winner: Jean-Guy

Well done everyone, and thank you again for submitting. Jean-Guy, it is now your time to shine, and host the Canon DSLR Speed Challenge!

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

N.V.M.
Goldmember
2,185 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010
North Vancouver,Canada
Feb 07, 2012 21:23 as a reply to Jason C's post |  #11

Hi, the EXIF is in all my pics,lol. no worries.

anybody going to mention the "Title" issue..cough...

MSJGD
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Feb 07, 2012 21:33 |  #12

Thanks Jason, I will come up with a new theme very soon.

Jean-Guy
7D, 17-40 1:4 L, 70-300 1:4-5.6 L, 50mm 1:1.8
photosjgd.caexternal link

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
Seattle, don't move here, it's wet and cold
Feb 07, 2012 21:51 |  #13

Wow, thanks for the critique and acknowledgement Jason...I forgot I need to remove the frame and watermark for most these contests.

Here it is in B&W with no watermark...Just for you. :)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6839258999_fcd17fe58d_z.jpg

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Feb 07, 2012 22:05 |  #14

N.V.M. wrote in post #13845936external link
Hi, the EXIF is in all my pics,lol. no worries.

anybody going to mention the "Title" issue..cough...

I'm sure your exif is in your image, but I do not use an exif viewer...:p

Title in title line: Now, I did NOT name the theme "Classical Elements", it is named "only "Elements". The submission you are referring to does state "Re; Classical Elements...", which I interpret AS the image's title. As with another image posted that has the title "Classical Elements", that too is it's own title...

Trust me, I examined all of this...:p

Matt: there is no written nor unwritten law about the use of borders and watermarks in these competitions. Use whatever your heart desires, I only made mention of these things because they really do annoy me (even my own images I put borders on), but I do not penalize for. And yeah, I like the b&w better than the original.

:cool:

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback

GarryKirsch
283 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Feb 07, 2012 22:38 |  #15

Thank you Jason for a very interesting theme, and I also very much enjoyed your comments. I was happy to read that my image left you "confused and freaked out". It was intended to do just that. I hoped it would be attractive visually but also unsettling.
Congrats Jean-Guy and Matt.
Super images everyone!

Garry............... May you pack two days of livin' into every day you're given.
Canon EOS 60D, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
www.birdingandmore.comexternal link ../.. www.kirschphotography.​comexternal link

sponsored links

3,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #225: Elements
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.