Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #1
liehmac

Default Workflow: How long does it take you to edit a wedding?

Hey everyone,

Not sure if any of you are familiar with Tony Hoffer's Genesis workshop, but a recent video he posted showed one of the attendees claiming to reduce her edit time for a wedding to around 4 hours. Since it usually takes me 20+ hours to edit a wedding, I was pretty shocked to hear this. Just wondering how long it takes everyone else and maybe what some tips are to shorten things up.

Thanks!

www.chrisliehmannphotography.com
liehmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #2
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: Workflow: How long does it take you to edit a wedding?

It took me 30 minutes to edit my last wedding. My assistant spent about nine hours on it though.
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3
PeaceFire
Goldmember

I edit in about 3-4 days working 3-4 hours each day. So between 9 and 15 hours. I could do it faster but my computer is slow running LR.
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #4
gotaudi

Sorry if this question is too far from the subject but how many hours does a Photographer usually spend on a wedding all together from Start to finish?
gotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #5
Peacefield
Goldmember

I could probably do it in two 8 hour days start to finish. Unfortunately, it doesn't tend to happen that way; usually an hour here or there over the course of a week.

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #6
tim
Light Bringer

Here's a quick breakdown:
- Meeting customers, prep, site visits (optional), cleaning and charging gear, pre wedding meetings: 6h
- Wedding day: 12h (inc travel, prep, etc)
- Processing: 16h
- Album: 4-16h
- Random stuff that sometimesc omes up, rework, communications, etc: 0-8h.

That makes say 36 hours for a simple CD only package, or 54 hours for an album package. Some photographers might do it in 20 hours, really pushing it, some might do it in 60 hours.

One wedding is a full time job for a week.
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #7
ChadAndreo

iirc, Zach and Jody claim that it only takes them 1-3 hours to edit a wedding. They are able to achieve this by getting as much done as possible in camera.
ChadAndreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #8
omnom

It really depends on how long you were at the wedding, how many photos were taken, how many of those were keepers, how good your photos are straight out of the camera and what kind of edits you do.

I can edit a 6 hour wedding in an hour and a half, but I nail my exposures in camera and dont rely on actions and post processing to begin with.
omnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #9
tim
Light Bringer

I've never taken a single photo that can't be improved with basic post processing - ie just what a raw converter does, brightness, contrast, color temp, etc. To nail every exposure is quite amazing, almost unbelievable.
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #10
snaphappyphotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
I've never taken a single photo that can't be improved with basic post processing - ie just what a raw converter does, brightness, contrast, color temp, etc. To nail every exposure is quite amazing, almost unbelievable.
This kind of honesty is refreshing. I'm really enjoying this forum.
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #11
snaphappyphotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
It took me 30 minutes to edit my last wedding. My assistant spent about nine hours on it though.
Jealous!!
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #12
snaphappyphotography

I could say a lot of things about reducing time, most of them you've probably heard, but I think Fundy software for album design has really helped us decrease our time in post more than anything, perhaps ever. I'm sure there are pros and cons to Fundy vs other techniques, for example we don't own InDesign, but yeah for us, Fundy has helped
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #13
snakeman55

8-16hrs depending on a lot. I did a wedding last year with only 50 guests and no bridal party. I ended up taking way fewer shots than usual and had it finished with like 5 or 6 hours of editing. That was sweet....

Wedding Photographers in Maryland

Gear
snakeman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #14
Peacefield
Goldmember

My breakdown of time works out to something pretty similar to Tim's excepting only the album.

My initial design for the client can take 2 hours or less. The back and forth from there can add as nearly nothing or as much as just about anything. And then another hour or so prepping and placing the order with the supplier.

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #15
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismallet View Post
It really depends on how long you were at the wedding, how many photos were taken, how many of those were keepers, how good your photos are straight out of the camera and what kind of edits you do.

I can edit a 6 hour wedding in an hour and a half, but I nail my exposures in camera and dont rely on actions and post processing to begin with.
There is something to be said for 'getting right in-camera'
the odds of anyone getting a 6 hour wedding all right in-camera are against you...
but even then, things can be improved... eyes can be made to pop... pimples can be removed...

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote