Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of February 2012 (Fri)   #1
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Default The Best 17" Laptop for Photography?

I need to get a 17" laptop for both my wife's needs (mostly watching movies, so the larger screen) and my photography and simple video editing needs. I currently use Adobe PS4 for photography editing and Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate for video editing. Any recommendations very much appreciated. Because of our portable needs, we can't go desktop.

EDIT: Is 17.3" Toshiba Satellite Laptop sufficient with the following spec?:

AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M Accelerated Processor
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
6GB DDR3 1333MHz memory
AMD Radeon™ HD 6520G
16:9 aspect ratio, 1600x900, Supports 720p content

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe

Last edited by SYS : 10th of February 2012 (Fri) at 15:05.
SYS is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #2
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: The Best 17" Laptop for Photography?

Anyone?

-Goethe
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #3
Brandon72

I have a Toshiba Satellite and the screen is useless for editing. Laptops aren't ideal for editing to begin with, so if you're getting one for that purpose, I would be going with a Macbook Pro.

Also, Toshiba's are notorious for overheating. I had only had mine for a year and was having problems with it majorly overheating and just dying especially when exporting in Lightroom. I needed to clean the fan out properly, not just compressed air from the outside. What a PITA. I had unscrew the entire base, pry off the top top, remove the keyboard tray, just to blow the fan out (which collected more dust than any other laptop or hard drive I've ever seen).

Oh, and? The adapter, where it plugs into the laptop, caught on fire and burnt a hole through the side when it was in sleep mode one night. There's a new recall notice about this on their website.

Get the best you can, don't skimp on the laptop. :0
Brandon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #4
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon72 View Post
I have a Toshiba Satellite and the screen is useless for editing. Laptops aren't ideal for editing to begin with, so if you're getting one for that purpose, I would be going with a Macbook Pro.

Also, Toshiba's are notorious for overheating. I had only had mine for a year and was having problems with it majorly overheating and just dying especially when exporting in Lightroom. I needed to clean the fan out properly, not just compressed air from the outside. What a PITA. I had unscrew the entire base, pry off the top top, remove the keyboard tray, just to blow the fan out (which collected more dust than any other laptop or hard drive I've ever seen).

Oh, and? The adapter, where it plugs into the laptop, caught on fire and burnt a hole through the side when it was in sleep mode one night. There's a new recall notice about this on their website.

Get the best you can, don't skimp on the laptop. :0
That's good to know... Let's then forget about the brand and advise me whether the spec's themselves are roughly okay for photo/video editing softwares?

-Goethe
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #5
DBNissan

What is your budget?

I have an ASUS G53 and absolutely love it. They have a 17.3" version, the G73. It has an efficient cooling system, 1080p native screen, Bluray player and 2GHz Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core with 8gb ram. It has the best base warranty with 2 years global and 1 year accidental. You usually have to pay $200-300 more for that. They also come with a matching backpack and high dpi mouse.

You can buy a stock built model here (read the reviews): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html

You can also have one custom built with many upgrades. I had my G53 custom built with a 120gb SSD and a 750gb HDD with 8gb ram by Power Notebooks. It will take up to 32gb ram. A 3D screen is also available.

I ordered mine from here: http://www.powernotebooks.com/ASUS-C...ks-cat-65.html
DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #6
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNissan View Post
What is your budget?

I have an ASUS G53 and absolutely love it. They have a 17.3" version, the G73. It has an efficient cooling system, 1080p native screen, Bluray player and 2GHz Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core with 8gb ram. It has the best base warranty with 2 years global and 1 year accidental. You usually have to pay $200-300 more for that. They also come with a matching backpack and high dpi mouse.

You can buy a stock built model here (read the reviews): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html

You can also have one custom built with many upgrades. I had my G53 custom built with a 120gb SSD and a 750gb HDD with 8gb ram by Power Notebooks. It will take up to 32gb ram. A 3D screen is also available.

I ordered mine from here: http://www.powernotebooks.com/ASUS-C...ks-cat-65.html
That looks very promising and within my budget. Thanks for recommending this!

-Goethe
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #7
DBNissan

Donald, the owner at powernotebooks.com, is a great guy to deal with should you custom order one.
DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #8
pcunite

The only laptops worth buying:

From laptopreviews.com:
Lenovo ThinkPad X220 (12.5″, 1366768, IPS, matte)
HP EliteBook 8560w (15.6″, 19201080, IPS, matte)
HP EliteBook 8760w (17.3″, 1920-1080, IPS, matte)
Dell Precision M4600 (15.6″, 19201080, IPS, matte)
Dell Precision M6600 (17.3, 19201080,IPS, matte)
HP Envy 15 (15.6 screen, 19201080, IPS, glossy with anti-glare coating)
LG XNote P330 (13.3, 1366 x 768, IPS, matte) not available in USA
pcunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #9
S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds

If you have the budget, MacBook/pro and use VMWare Fusion to run the image of your existing Windows system on it when you want to. (Sounds more complicated than it is. Backup PC, install VMWare on the Mac, restore PC inside the Mac. When you open VMWare you'll be using your old PC).

That is basically my setup for my iMac. They're pricey if you just look at specs. But I have never seen machines built that well, and in particular with an AppleCare plan, you won't get better service. Put plainly, they fly and they are tanks.

I'm in the software business. I have owned a lot of PCs.

The Toshibas we switched to last year run like watches. Excellent keyboards, good screens, and stable. Custom built satellites with i7 and 8 GB RAM. I run CS5 on it just fine.

HP has been total junk. All gone now. Keys falling off, batteries getting permanently stuck, poor repairs. About two years ago, their printers all fell apart, too. I think only the brand name keeps them going now. By the way, we did find out that they run some kind of OEM modified Windows. The Windows updates would freeze and lock the machines as a result. Nice. Thanks for wasting a ton of time and money, HP.

Sony we had as well. Keyboards just wear out. Darnedest thing. A bit pricey, but no other issues, other than all of the junk software installed, some of which it does take a true geek to uninstall. Never understood why any manufacturer did that to customers. Don't install it, just give us the disks. To this day Apple does that.

Lenovo is the old IBM ThinkPad line. My clients complained about performance, but they are built like tanks, still. Keyboard is tight but very firm, screen is good for the business user. Passed because of tight keyboards and what appear to be screens which lose brightness over time. The screens also just don't seem quite sharp enough for editing photos. I could never quite put my finger on it, but I think they just cut a few corners.

By the way, watch out for all online reviews now, including PC Mag and other names you might remeber from the old days. I suspect they are all paid cheerleaders because what they compare is what manufacturers send to them on paper. I listen to other business owners, customers and learn by making mistakes. It is just too bad there is no longer an objective source for reviews.

Last edited by S.Horton : 11th of February 2012 (Sat) at 21:59.
S.Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #10
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Horton View Post
If you have the budget, MacBook/pro and use VMWare Fusion to run the image of your existing Windows system on it when you want to. (Sounds more complicated than it is. Backup PC, install VMWare on the Mac, restore PC inside the Mac. When you open VMWare you'll be using your old PC).

That is basically my setup for my iMac. They're pricey if you just look at specs. But I have never seen machines built that well, and in particular with an AppleCare plan, you won't get better service. Put plainly, they fly and they are tanks.

I'm in the software business. I have owned a lot of PCs.

The Toshibas we switched to last year run like watches. Excellent keyboards, good screens, and stable. Custom built satellites with i7 and 8 GB RAM. I run CS5 on it just fine.

HP has been total junk. All gone now. Keys falling off, batteries getting permanently stuck, poor repairs. About two years ago, their printers all fell apart, too. I think only the brand name keeps them going now. By the way, we did find out that they run some kind of OEM modified Windows. The Windows updates would freeze and lock the machines as a result. Nice. Thanks for wasting a ton of time and money, HP.

Sony we had as well. Keyboards just wear out. Darnedest thing. A bit pricey, but no other issues, other than all of the junk software installed, some of which it does take a true geek to uninstall. Never understood why any manufacturer did that to customers. Don't install it, just give us the disks. To this day Apple does that.

Lenovo is the old IBM ThinkPad line. My clients complained about performance, but they are built like tanks, still. Keyboard is tight but very firm, screen is good for the business user. Passed because of tight keyboards and what appear to be screens which lose brightness over time. The screens also just don't seem quite sharp enough for editing photos. I could never quite put my finger on it, but I think they just cut a few corners.

By the way, watch out for all online reviews now, including PC Mag and other names you might remeber from the old days. I suspect they are all paid cheerleaders because what they compare is what manufacturers send to them on paper. I listen to other business owners, customers and learn by making mistakes. It is just too bad there is no longer an objective source for reviews.
Thank you, Sam, for your thoughtful response! I very much appreciate your perspectives and advice...

-Goethe
Old 11th of February 2012 (Sat)   #11
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcunite View Post

From laptopreviews.com:
Thank you for your response and suggestions!

-Goethe
Old 12th of February 2012 (Sun)   #12
oldtimingman

I have the ASUS 73 series mentioned in post 5 and like it very much. I have ps9 on it and use it mainly for photos my wife and I take around the homestead (s100/7d). It's attached to a wireless HP Photo-whatever printer and does a credible job of creating what you saw in minimum amount of effort. I also have a loaded up desktop in the cave for more serious endeavors so there's no pressure on the laptop to create 'lab type' results. The limiting factor on laptops would probably be the monitor but you can still do well with a decent photo printer and photo editing program. The man that build my desk top used to build laptops and when I asked him to build me one he suggested ASUS. I was shopping for an HP or Dell at the time and he sold me on the ASUS based on his experience with them compared to what I was looking at. He has pretty much stopped building laptops because of the feature set and reliability or the ASUS line. fwiw....

....old
Old 4th of June 2013 (Tue)   #13
oharing

which one did you get? Any recommendation for the new Samsung 9 Series?
Old 8th of June 2013 (Sat)   #14
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"

I am still happy with my so old laptop which is Macbook Pro 17", matte screen, upgraded the HDD to SSD and i can't upgrade the RAM more than 4GB if that is possible, still strong and amazing colors i can get.
Tareq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of June 2013 (Thu)   #15
Bianchi
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcunite View Post

From laptopreviews.com:
This is correct, you want a laptop with an IPS screen