CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 18:38   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Tommydigi
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,883 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

If you don't like it don't buy it, why bother wasting any energy complaining?

Post #61, Feb 17, 2012 10:29:18

Websiteexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Blogexternal link
Canon 5D2/60D/G15 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 17-40L • 70-300L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Houston1863
Joined Jul 2009
729 posts
South East UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't mind either way since I'm unlikely to buy the G1X anyway.... I think :rolleyes:

I can understand that the cost of producing a manual can be rather high so an online or disc copy will be fine. A printed quick guide would suffice I imagine.

Post #62, Feb 17, 2012 10:32:15 as a reply to post 13914302

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.netexternal link
www.picturing-u.blogspot.comexternal link

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
696 posts
Cumbria + Wigan
[MORE/SHARE]

I,ve just received my G1x, the quick start up guide was all I needed to get going. Trolling through the manual off the CD, I read it for about 10 mins then thought I would work out the menus and settings by just using the camera. Lots to learn, too many options at the moment so starting from basics.

Post #63, Feb 17, 2012 14:08:44

Canon 5D mk3, Canon 70D, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 300L, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.mala-rise.comexternal link www.flickr.com/photos/​georgehopkins/external link

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

nonick
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
1,582 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Tommydigi wrote in post #13914598external link
If you don't like it don't buy it, why bother wasting any energy complaining?

.. because this is the canon G forum and this forum welcomes positive and negative comments about the G system. I dont see nothing wrong with that.

Post #64, Feb 17, 2012 23:53:07

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

nonick
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
1,582 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Judder Man wrote in post #13915761external link
I,ve just received my G1x, the quick start up guide was all I needed to get going. Trolling through the manual off the CD, I read it for about 10 mins then thought I would work out the menus and settings by just using the camera. Lots to learn, too many options at the moment so starting from basics.

Wow, that's fast. BH is still only accepting pre-order. Can't wait to hear your comments.

Post #65, Feb 17, 2012 23:55:38

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links
speedync
Joined May 2011
931 posts
Geelong, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Okay, how about this for logic. If you're buying a digital camera, it stands to reason that you WILL have a computer, so you can actually view/process/print the pickies you've taken. No problems so far.
Next, try to think of someone with a computer, that doesn't have a printer. I've racked my brain, but I can't come up with a single person. Still no problems that I can see.
Next. How many pages of the manual do you actually ever read? Personally, it would be lucky if it were 10. How much will it cost you to print those 10 pages? A few cents at most.
Next. Which is easier, shuffling through the whole 200 odd pages of a manual for the info you require, or flicking through the 10 relevant pages you have printed? I know which is easier for me.
I suggest you take a good look at yourself, and see if discover that you might just be over reacting a smidge, before ranting on an internet forum.:p:p

Post #66, Feb 18, 2012 01:26:06 as a reply to nonick's post 1 hour earlier.

Logicus
Joined Nov 2010
783 posts
Independence, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

Man, my second digital camera was an Olympus Zoom-3000 and it had a 200-page manual that I had to print out as well.

It's ok man, give me the camera and I'll print your next camera's manual out for you. ;)

Post #67, Feb 18, 2012 02:39:22 as a reply to post 13875802

My Gear List
My flickrexternal link
My flickr photos organized by Lens Usedexternal link

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
696 posts
Cumbria + Wigan
[MORE/SHARE]

speedync wrote in post #13918449external link
Okay, how about this for logic. If you're buying a digital camera, it stands to reason that you WILL have a computer, so you can actually view/process/print the pickies you've taken. No problems so far.
Next, try to think of someone with a computer, that doesn't have a printer. I've racked my brain, but I can't come up with a single person. Still no problems that I can see.
Next. How many pages of the manual do you actually ever read? Personally, it would be lucky if it were 10. How much will it cost you to print those 10 pages? A few cents at most.
Next. Which is easier, shuffling through the whole 200 odd pages of a manual for the info you require, or flicking through the 10 relevant pages you have printed? I know which is easier for me.
I suggest you take a good look at yourself, and see if discover that you might just be over reacting a smidge, before ranting on an internet forum.:p:p

Exactly, just after playing around with the controls in what is my first G camera I have already eliminated about 25% of the manual straight away. There is a couple of chapters on scene modes special effects which I probably not use so much, then we have pages non camera related and accessories etc. Probably will need about 50 pages to reference so will probably put these on my iPhone.
So I would say if you already have a canon SLR or a G camera you will quickly eliminate the pages to reference, the only time you will need a full manual if this is your very first digital camera and you are complete novice, if this is the case for the original poster then perhaps the thread title still stands.

Post #68, Feb 18, 2012 02:46:00

Canon 5D mk3, Canon 70D, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 300L, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.mala-rise.comexternal link www.flickr.com/photos/​georgehopkins/external link

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Logicus
Joined Nov 2010
783 posts
Independence, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

speedync wrote in post #13918449external link

I read every single page of manual for my Olympus. I read pretty close to every page of the manuals for my Canon S3IS, xSI, 40D, and for the 5d MarkII I actually bought David Bursch's 400+ page 5d MkII guide for $30 to read in conjunction with the supplied manual as well as several hundred posts and links to websites all garnering information about the camera. Not only is there good information in each of those manuals relating solely to common photography in general, but also how the camera's functionality and results individually affect what your shots will come out like in relation to the camera itself. If I take a shot at 1/200 sec, f/4, ISO1600, 5200k WB on each of the aforementioned cameras, they are all going to have different characteristics based on each of the used cameras.

If I picked up a new G1X, after having used all the cameras I've used in the past, I'd certainly print the manual out, even if it meant emailing it to kinko's. 250 pages printed printed at $0.07 cents a copy is $17.50 - hardly a drop considering the price of the camera, and the price of the memory cards you'll buy, and the case you'll put it in, etc...

If I were going to rant about anything Canon does that is a "ripoff" it would be the fact that you have to spend $25-$60 to get a freaking lens hood for every lens you get from them!

I'm not trying to be bitchy or anything, just saying, that's the way everyone is going, especially with revisions, etc... that happen to manuals. I'd **** about the price of the camera before the cost of having to print a copy of the manual. What is that thing, $800? DSLR kit territory.

Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve.
:oops:

Post #69, Feb 18, 2012 03:08:48

My Gear List
My flickrexternal link
My flickr photos organized by Lens Usedexternal link

N.V.M.
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
1,881 posts
North Vancouver,Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

my iPad is a rip off, no manual either.

Post #70, Feb 18, 2012 08:52:47 as a reply to Logicus's post 5 hours earlier.

Hivoltage
Joined Oct 2007
312 posts
Newark, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Clever them Ipads....the manual is inside it!

Post #71, Feb 18, 2012 08:56:30

Just got me a G7 X on order:)

sponsored links
Tommydigi
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,883 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

nonick wrote in post #13918201external link
.. because this is the canon G forum and this forum welcomes positive and negative comments about the G system. I dont see nothing wrong with that.

Not that its wrong but why waste the time, if you feel its a ripoff just look elsewhere, there are lots of camera options. Also is this thing even out yet?

Post #72, Feb 18, 2012 09:41:31

denncald
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,063 posts
Marquette, MI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tommydigi wrote in post #13919478external link
Not that its wrong but why waste the time, if you feel its a ripoff just look elsewhere, there are lots of camera options. Also is this thing even out yet?

Yes, some folks have managed to get their hands on the new model. I believe some purchased from overseas sources.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/members/3107257588/g​alleriesexternal link

Dennis

Post #73, Feb 18, 2012 12:31:02

Tommydigi
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,883 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Its looks kinda cool and all but I wonder how this thing compares to a rebel with a kit lens in size and image quality. I would think a rebel with a small prime would be a better choice but I guess there is a market for such a camera.

Post #74, Feb 18, 2012 13:45:10

denncald
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,063 posts
Marquette, MI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tommydigi wrote in post #13920436external link
Its looks kinda cool and all but I wonder how this thing compares to a rebel with a kit lens in size and image quality. I would think a rebel with a small prime would be a better choice but I guess there is a market for such a camera.

This link shows the G1 X next to a T3i with the 18-55mm kit lens.

http://camerasize.com/​compact/#257,99.23,ha,​texternal link

This link will let you compare image quality for the G1 X, T3i, and two other cameras of your choice. It shows JPEGs, and you can view RAW images on the next page in the preview series.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/canong1x/pa​ge6.aspexternal link

Dennis

Post #75, Feb 18, 2012 14:38:06

LIST NEARBY THREADS
12,981 views & 0 likes for this thread
CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES