Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of February 2012 (Fri)   #1
Vixen89
Goldmember

Default Targus Ramsees TG-RABK60 Backpack Review - Lowepro Flipside 300 Alternative

Hello POTN, I was just surfing Amazon for backpacks like usual and I saw this little guy for $32.62 w/ Amazon Prime eligible so I was like hey what the heck I'll try it out. What I liked most about it was that it resembles a lot of the Lowepro Flipside 300 Backpack which I love to death by the way. I couldn't find a review ANYWHERE on the internet for this backpack so I figured I'd help out someone. Here's the link for the item:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Ramsees...501760&sr=8-16

First off, I didn't like the gray "TARGUS" on the front of the bag so I took a sharpie marker to my bag and liked it a lot better when it was semi-black. The bag shares similar dimensions to the Flipside model see here:

Flipside 300 Product Dimensions: 6.9 x 10.2 x 17.5 inches ; 2.7 pounds
Targus Product Dimensions: 11 x 7.5 x 16 inches ; 6.6 ounces (.41 pounds according to Google)

The bag is extremely light just like the Flipside and if not lighter. I noticed the side zippers / pockets are on opposite sides of the bag which is no big deal since they both function the same way - one zipper and one pouch for a water bottle or whatever. The Targus does have a front zipper pocket on the bottom. The Targus also comes with padded waist straps as you can see as well. The Flipside just exhibits straps mostly. I dumped most of my gear in it and they carry the same stuff as my daily go-to stuff. The straps feel almost identical, the padding inside the bag is near identical, heck, even the gray looks similar in color! LOL

Daily Items:
1 DSLR w/ Grip w/ lens attached hood in shoot mode
1-2 lenses w/ both caps on
1 External Flash
Pack of Eneloops, microfiber cloth, rocket blower, and other misc.

Oh and yes it does have the same bump on the backside if you use a battery grip (I don't even feel it so I'm not sure what most complaints are about when a battery grip is mounted on the camera). Now I will say this the thing I love most about the Flipside 300 is the front handle to quickly grab the bag but Targus does have the loop on top of the bag. Both bags as you know do NOT have an AW cover. Other than that I'll stop talking and let you guys ask questions if you have any, but I think this is a great alternative to the Flipside 300 since it's almost the same at half the cost right now. I'm not sure if it will rise but even retail it's cheaper than the Flipside 300.

Flipside 300 Retail: $109.99
Price: $84.95
You Save: $25.04 (23%)
On eBay: $58 shipped

Targus Ramsees Retail: $69.00
Price: $32.62
You Save: $36.38 (53%)
On eBay: Not even found on there!

Old 17th of February 2012 (Fri)   #2
acousticdank

Default Re: Targus Ramsees TG-RABK60 Backpack Review - Lowepro Flipside 300 Alternative

Nice writeup and pics. I'd definitely look into it if I didn't have a 300 already. I also don't like the big ass logo though.
acousticdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of February 2012 (Fri)   #3
lannes
Goldmember

Default Re: Targus Ramsees TG-RABK60 Backpack Review - Lowepro Flipside 300 Alternative

I like the padded waist belt with pockets on the targus, always thought the Flipside could do with a more padded waist strap to support the bag on the hips better and take the pressure off the shoulders
Old 18th of February 2012 (Sat)   #4
Vixen89
Goldmember

hehe yep yep I was just amazed how much it was similar but minor differences and pricing.
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #5
acousticdank

One question I had is, how does the "lid" open. Does it automatically try to close? Sometimes that is annoying on the 300, for me anyway.

In the pic it seems to stay open easier?
acousticdank is offline   Reply With Quote