Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of February 2012 (Sat)   #1
brighambartol

Default "Recording Stopped Automatically" - help?

First off, I'm a bit of a camera noob, but I'm a musician and I saved up for a camera that I could shoot HD videos of my music with (plus I wanted to take up photography as well), so I picked up a Canon Rebel T3i.

The problem is, half the time when I record video the camera stops about a minute in and says "recording stopped automatically". I've seen a couple threads of people with this same problem, but no very helpful responses. I have a class 10 memory card that I bought from Henry's, so I'm pretty sure the card isn't the issue.

So far as I can tell after searching, this has something to do with overheating. Is there any way to solve/combat this issue? I feel kind of ripped of having bought and expensive (by my standards) piece of equipment that I can't use half the time....
brighambartol is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of February 2012 (Sat)   #2
lannes
Goldmember

Default Re: "Recording Stopped Automatically" - help?

Usually with recording problems it is the card speed, what brand is your card, some don't perform to their stated class.
Something like a genuine Sandisk extreme pro SDHC card, would guarrantee you have the card performance.
Also try reformatting the card in the camera.

what settings are using for video ?

Last edited by lannes : 18th of February 2012 (Sat) at 19:48.
lannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of February 2012 (Sat)   #3
brighambartol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannes View Post
Usually with recording problems it is the card speed, what brand is your card, some don't perform to their stated class.
Also try reformatting the card in the camera
It's a "Lexar Professional" 16GB, class 10
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of February 2012 (Sat)   #4
lannes
Goldmember

I'm assuming you have enough spare space on the card for the video file, it will be using about 330mb per minute.
I'd try another card to discount a card problem, Lexar and Sandisk have been the target of fakes.

At 1080p trying using a lower frame rate like 24fps, or even try 720p

Does the red temperature icon appear on the LCD before the movie stops, this indicates heat is a problem ?
Old 18th of February 2012 (Sat)   #5
pkilla
Goldmember

Its the card I had the same problem get a Sandisk extreme pro SDHC
And u should be good with over heating and your
Recording stopping
pkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #6
brighambartol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannes View Post
I'm assuming you have enough spare space on the card for the video file, it will be using about 330mb per minute.
I'd try another card to discount a card problem, Lexar and Sandisk have been the target of fakes.

At 1080p trying using a lower frame rate like 24fps, or even try 720p

Does the red temperature icon appear on the LCD before the movie stops, this indicates heat is a problem ?
I haven't seen the temperature icon on the screen. Although if I let the camera rest for a while before shooting it seems to start working again, which suggests to me that it is a temperature problem and that it just needs to cool down.... maybe I'm just not noticing the icon. I'll fool around with it tomorrow and try to notice
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #7
brighambartol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkilla View Post
Its the card I had the same problem get a Sandisk extreme pro SDHC
And u should be good with over heating and your
Recording stopping
I may try that out. Thanks.
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #8
kawi_200

Cameras are limited to record only 29min 59sec of video before auto stopping. This has to do with a tax that goes on cameras recording 30min or longer. Are you recording for 30min or more? Or is it stopping less than 30min?

70-200 IS, 400mm DO For Sale
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1380154
kawi_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #9
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

OP stated "The problem is, half the time when I record video the camera stops about a minute in and says "recording stopped automatically"." This should not be an overheating issue.

As others have pointed out, it is likely the card. Also, be aware there are some limitations on how much you can record, even with the best of memory cards. More than 12 minutes can be recorded but there are some limitations. When the file size reaches 4 GB, recording will automatically stop. That means that at 1920x1080 dpi and 1280x720 dpi the maximum recording time of a single movie clip is about 12 minutes. At 640x480 dpi it is about 24 minutes. I think there is also an auto-restart function in the 60D so it will start again and you loose only a few seconds of video.

The capacity of the card differs in recorded time; at 1920x1080 dpi or 1280x720 dpi you can stuff 44 minutes total of video onto a 16 gig card. At 640x480 dpi or crop 640x480 dpi this goes up to 1 hour 32 minutes. However, the 60D English manual movie section states "The maximum recording time of one movie clip is 29 min. 59 sec. Depending on the subject and the increase in the camera's internal temperature, the movie shooting might stop sooner than 29 min. 59 sec.' [60D manual, page 181]

This is not just the Canon line, Pentax for instance states "Like competing DSLRs, the Pentax K-5 also monitors sensor temperature during recording, and will halt capture if the temperature rises beyond a certain threshold." A reputable source also states "This limitation is due to the different (European) import duty rates for still and video cameras." There is no reference made to differing duty rates of product entering the United States however. So there may really be two limitations, one the 29 min 59 seconds limitation imposed legally, and a sensor temperature issue that might also be reached in some rare circumstance.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #10
-dave-m-

Not all Class 10 cards are equal. A C10 card must maintain a minimum write speed of 10 MB/s which is too slow for 1080p recording. Under the C10 umbrella speeds can go from 10 MB/s on the cheap side up to 90 MB/s on the high end. I'm guessing the Lexar card you have is a C10 133x or 20 MB/s, barely enough and only if the card can actually meet it's claims(rarely do they). For video I would spend a little more and get an SD Card up to the task. A SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s will fit your needs quite well.
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #11
RTPVid
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dave-m- View Post
...a minimum write speed of 10 MB/s which is too slow for 1080p recording. ...20 MB/s, barely enough....
Wrong, wrong, all wrong.

Contrary to the apparent consensus belief on this board, HD video recording is not very demanding of card performance at all. Check your manual, or just do the math.

The 60D, at the highest definition video setting, only requires 5.5MB/s, and, as the manual states, a Class 6 card will suffice.

Now, does the card itself actually perform up to its class designation? That's another question, but there is no need to overpay for the high-zoot SD cards merely to record video. You only need one that performs as labeled.

To the OP: It certainly sounds like your card is not performing properly. Stopping after a few seconds indicates a card that is too slow. A few minutes? That means it did record longer than it takes to merely fill the buffer, so there may be something else going on. The fact that it records sometimes and not other times means it may be something else as well ... perhaps a loose connection, or the card does not seat properly?

Last edited by RTPVid : 19th of February 2012 (Sun) at 11:48.
RTPVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #12
-dave-m-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Wrong, wrong, all wrong.

Contrary to the apparent consensus belief on this board, HD video recording is not very demanding of card performance at all. Check your manual, or just do the math.

The 60D, at the highest definition video setting, only requires 5.5MB/s, and, as the manual states, a Class 6 card will suffice.

Now, does the card itself actually perform up to its class designation? That's another question, but there is no need to overpay for the high-zoot SD cards merely to record video. You only need one that performs as labeled.

To the OP: It certainly sounds like your card is not performing properly. Stopping after a few seconds indicates a card that is too slow. A few minutes? That means it did record longer than it takes to merely fill the buffer, so there may be something else going on. The fact that it records sometimes and not other times means it may be something else as well ... perhaps a loose connection, or the card does not seat properly?
I am talking real world performance and what the cards have printed on them. I have yet to use a card listed at 10 MB/s or 20 MB/s that will reliably keep up with 1080p recording. In theory they should, I guess if I wanted to make a theoritcal movie they would be OK. In the real world, they haven't worked in my experience, but I haven't had a problem with a SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/s.

My experience was with a 60D I had rented(prior to buying a 5D MkII), I tried all my SD cards, ranging from a Class 6(in theory fast enough) to a Lexar Professional Class 10 133x 32G(20MB/s). Each one of them failed to keep up, recording shut down automatically when the buffer was full.

I went back to the camera store to have them check the camera, camera worked fine. The manager suggested I try the SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/s card and said she would give me a refund on the card and rental if it didn't work out. Camera recorded 1080p without a problem.

Bottom line is most cards do not have the performance they say they do and theoritical speeds are meaningless in the real world.

Last edited by -dave-m- : 19th of February 2012 (Sun) at 12:27.
-dave-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #13
aquaforester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Wrong, wrong, all wrong.

Agree. I had same issue with a PNY 16g class 10 card 20mb. I swamped out a old 1g card class 4 and it recorded fine.
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #14
-dave-m-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaforester View Post
Agree. I had same issue with a PNY 16g class 10 card 20mb. I swamped out a old 1g card class 4 and it recorded fine.
I should have worded my original post a little different, but we are basically saying the same thing. Not all cards are equal and not all cards perform as they are listed. Nor will they perform the same in all bodies. Buying a quality card that performs at it's listed speed is more important than buying a cheap "fast" card.
Old 19th of February 2012 (Sun)   #15
RTPVid
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dave-m- View Post
I am talking real world performance and what the cards have printed on them. ....
And I was talking about specifically what I quoted., namely your statements that
Quote:
...a minimum write speed of 10 MB/s which is too slow for 1080p recording. ...20 MB/s, barely enough....
These statements are false, wrong, incorrect, balderdash, etc.

As I also said, the issue of whether a card performs as marked is a separate issue, but the 60D does NOT produce a video bit stream any faster than 5.5MB/s.