Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 20 Feb 2012 (Monday) 01:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Pocketwizard PlusIII

patliean1
381 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Feb 20, 2012 16:13 |  #31

Does this mean the Sigma 85 is NOT a professional grade lens because it's not an L lens??? It's "cheaper" than the 85L right??

This is just for the sake of argument but really, who determines "professional" grade?

I mean only own L lenes....but still LoL

...BECAUSE SEEKING VALIDATION FROM ANOTHER PHOTOGRAPHER IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE OPINIONS OF PAID CLIENTS.
www.patrolind.comexternal link
www.vimeo.com/25753524 <------Behind the scenes video of my photoshoots! (Featured on FStoppers)

sponsored links
imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined May 2008
odessa tx
Feb 20, 2012 16:20 |  #32

its all about personal preferance if you take pictures for magazines or for even bands like i do you only usually have about a 5-15 minute time slot to shoot in and you dont want to have to worry about if its going to trigger all your flashes everytime consitantly. so i like stuff that is a proven performer time after time thats why i use pocketwizards or well used to then went to cybersyncs and now im going to preorder these when i get my cybersyncs and commander sold tonight

im by no means a pro i just do some shoots for magazines and bands

5Dmkii bge6 x2
Σ 35 ART | Σ 50 ART | Σ 85mm | 135mm f/2L
Leica m6ttl | voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 | pentax 6x7 | 105MM F2.4

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Feb 20, 2012 16:21 |  #33

patliean1 wrote in post #13930973external link
Does this mean the Sigma 85 is NOT a professional grade lens because it's not an L lens??? It's "cheaper" than the 85L right??

This is just for the sake of argument but really, who determines "professional" grade?

I mean only own L lenes....but still LoL

Durability, reliability, ease of use (try hooking any other brand of trigger up to an arena's strobe system), availability everywhere. They invented the radio trigger for off-camera lighting purposes, and are still really the most reliable solution for large applications of lighting systems. They're ubiquitous, and you can get them in any major city across the country at the drop of a hat if something goes wrong.

Nearly every major studio light company has PocketWizard capability built in:

Sekonic
Norman
Dynalite
Profoto
Photogenic
Normans
Paul C Buff
Elinchrom

I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting. Hopefully this clears it up a bit. Sure, you can create professional work with other triggers, but it's the above factors that make them the industry standard. I would put money on 99.5% of commercial studios using PocketWizard products. The other .5% shoots with natural light ;)

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture
My Fine Art Galleries
My articles at Fstoppers.comexternal link

patliean1
381 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Feb 20, 2012 16:35 |  #34

mikekelley wrote in post #13931010external link
Durability, reliability, ease of use (try hooking any other brand of trigger up to an arena's strobe system), availability everywhere. They invented the radio trigger for off-camera lighting purposes, and are still really the most reliable solution for large applications of lighting systems. They're ubiquitous, and you can get them in any major city across the country at the drop of a hat if something goes wrong.

Nearly every major studio light company has PocketWizard capability built in:

Sekonic
Norman
Dynalite
Profoto
Photogenic
Normans
Paul C Buff
Elinchrom

I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting. Hopefully this clears it up a bit. Sure, you can create professional work with other triggers, but it's the above factors that make them the industry standard. I would put money on 99.5% of commercial studios using PocketWizard products. The other .5% shoots with natural light ;)

DULY NOTED! All very good points and I can't debate that. Thank you kind sir!

...BECAUSE SEEKING VALIDATION FROM ANOTHER PHOTOGRAPHER IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE OPINIONS OF PAID CLIENTS.
www.patrolind.comexternal link
www.vimeo.com/25753524 <------Behind the scenes video of my photoshoots! (Featured on FStoppers)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Valencia, CA
Feb 20, 2012 17:25 |  #35

gintasr wrote in post #13930809external link
Thats the mindset I just dont understand... why MUST you get the PW when it does the same exact thing as another alternative? Sounds like bad business to me. Do you think your client really cares how you trigger your strobes? I'm all for haveing great camera or lenses, but a basic dumb trigger...

If PW created a trigger that was truely 'professional" with metal foot and sturdier plastic components I would not argue... Also, why the dumb triggers, I see no innovation from PW. Give me a good quality trigger that also does ETTL AND can communicate with my strobes via camera menu like the Pixel Kings... thats innovation.

I was like you too... buying good affordable stuff. Then I decided to do it as a source of livelihood...shooting at professional studios....meeting professional photographers, lighting techs, directors, you know... people in the industry. Then .. you see stuff that they will only use... Seconics, Profotos, Pocket Wizards, and more. It's easier to use PWs if you shoot and rent other studios with their pro light setup. Clients who know photography also look at your equipment and judge you by it.... sad but true.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

hammer2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
353 posts
Joined Mar 2009
West TN
Feb 20, 2012 17:40 |  #36

mikekelley wrote in post #13929691external link
I've had the great fortune of being able to play with these for awhile now. They are awesome--to be honest - I've got to chuckle at anyone thinking that a cactus is 1/5th the trigger that this is. They just aren't even in the same league.

Just wondering if you tested the range of the PlusIII's. Are they better than the PlusII's. I found it laughable that PW advertised the range of the Plus IIs at 1600ft. Yea, they have a disclaimer that states for the PlusIIIs, "Up to 500 meters (1600 feet) (actual range is dependent on multiple factors including equipment, mode, environment, positioning, orientation and interference)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Feb 20, 2012 17:57 |  #37

Check this out - David Hobby did a range test and got over 3 football fields away without a single misfire

http://www.strobist.bl​ogspot.com/external link

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photographyexternal link
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture
My Fine Art Galleries
My articles at Fstoppers.comexternal link

hammer2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
353 posts
Joined Mar 2009
West TN
Feb 20, 2012 19:02 |  #38

mikekelley wrote in post #13931523external link
Check this out - David Hobby did a range test and got over 3 football fields away without a single misfire

http://www.strobist.bl​ogspot.com/external link

Very nice range. One feature that I am glad to see is the USB port. The port makes the unit easy to update the firmware and maybe even add more features in the future.

puggle
Joined Jun 2008
New Jersey, USA
Feb 20, 2012 19:51 |  #39

Very nice upgrade to the Plus II's, but too bad they still can't control the power output.

I'm holding out to see what Canon may offer in their next Speedlites. Rumor has it they will include radio control with TTL.

Puggle
---------
Canon 1DXmkII, 5DmkIII & 7Dmk1, Sony A7rII, PhaseOne 645DF+D

stevetran23
Joined Jul 2010
Feb 20, 2012 21:27 |  #40

Does that mean a drop price on Plus II?

FLICKrexternal link

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Muscat, Oman
Feb 20, 2012 21:49 |  #41

stevetran23 wrote in post #13932915external link
Does that mean a drop price on Plus II?

Not just yet, should probably happen after the P3's go on sale and a bit after...

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.comexternal link
facebookexternal link | twitterexternal link | flickrexternal link | Google+external link | GearList

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Feb 20, 2012 22:53 |  #42

So, for those who already have PW Plus II's, do you think the III's are worth dumping the II's for?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Muscat, Oman
Feb 20, 2012 23:16 |  #43

check the specs and see if there's something in there you need. If you're using the basic features of the Plus II's I see no reason for an upgrade, nor for basic users to buy the Plus 3's over the Plus 2's (obviously once the price goes down)

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.comexternal link
facebookexternal link | twitterexternal link | flickrexternal link | Google+external link | GearList

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Frisco, TX
Feb 20, 2012 23:17 |  #44

I don't think so. If you didn't have it or needed to replace a damage unit, yes.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Valencia, CA
Feb 20, 2012 23:34 |  #45

SYS wrote in post #13933601external link
So, for those who already have PW Plus II's, do you think the III's are worth dumping the II's for?

I will be slowly upgrading.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

sponsored links

13,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Pocketwizard PlusIII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.