Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #31
stevewf1

Default Re: Canon T3i Lenses?

Please remember - no, you must understand - that a "better" lens won't make you a "better" photographer...
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #32
peeaanuut
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewf1 View Post
Please remember - no, you must understand - that a "better" lens won't make you a "better" photographer...
oh great, now you tell me.
peeaanuut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #33
Brandon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
Several people recommended the 55-250mm. Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm...9950168&sr=8-1
I don't know why people are suggesting another lens right now. The image quality here is not an issue of the lens but an issue of not knowing how to use the camera itself properly. The lens you have is in fact capable of producing very sharp images. A cheap 55-250 zoom is not going to improve your image quality... in fact it will likely be softer. Your picture turned out the way it did purely and simply because you missed focus and it's underexposed.
Brandon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #34
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I have an opportunity to purchase a 55-250 IS from a seller on CL for $150, which includes the original box, both caps, lens hood and polarizing filter. The seller says he only used it with the polarizing filter and has taken about 500 shots. He said he purchased it new in November 2009.

Do you think this is a pretty good deal? Has the 55-250 IS changed any from late 2009 to now or is it the same product Canon is selling now? How dependable are these lenses? In other words, would having a new one with warranty be important?

Thanks!
you can buy off CL but you can also get the 55-250IS cheaper - Adorama and others have it 'refurbished' for $185 or less and that includes a one year warranty. Most say the refurbished look and act like new
http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSR.html
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #35
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon72 View Post
I don't know why people are suggesting another lens right now. The image quality here is not an issue of the lens but an issue of not knowing how to use the camera itself properly. The lens you have is in fact capable of producing very sharp images. A cheap 55-250 zoom is not going to improve your image quality... in fact it will likely be softer. Your picture turned out the way it did purely and simply because you missed focus and it's underexposed.
actually the ability to zoom (longer focal length) would have helped which is what the OP wanted to do but his 18-55 limited this.

Surprisingly a cheap 55-250IS improves images!
(along with good light!)

XSi (450D) with Canon 55-250IS
185mm - cropped)

Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #36
RTPVid
Goldmember

Quote:
I have an opportunity to purchase a 55-250 IS from a seller on CL for $150, which includes the original box, both caps, lens hood and polarizing filter. The seller says he only used it with the polarizing filter and has taken about 500 shots. He said he purchased it new in November 2009.

Do you think this is a pretty good deal? Has the 55-250 IS changed any from late 2009 to now or is it the same product Canon is selling now? How dependable are these lenses? In other words, would having a new one with warranty be important?

Thanks!
That is a decent price, but not a screaming deal.

The 55-250 is very good optically, but it is lightly built. IOW, it won't stand much abuse, so if you buy used from a private seller, be aware of that. Things like whether the IS is working properly may be hard to judge. Take your camera along and mount the lens and take a few shots before you buy. (I'm assuming since you said CL that the seller is local.)

The polarizing filter should be a circular polarizer... if so, and if a good brand, that can add to the value of the purchase. If it is not a circular polarizer, or it is a cheap brand, it really adds nothing.

If you're not in a rush, the 55-250 is regularly put on sale. Also, the suggestion to buy a refurb is a good one if you want some warranty protection.

There has been a new model of the 55-250; it was introduced last year, IIRC, but the changes were cosmetic and manufacturing related (i.e. lowered the cost of manufacturing) and had no effect on the operation or performance of the lens.
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #37
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

Brandon72 has provided probably the best advice to the OP when he stated "I don't know why people are suggesting another lens right now. The image quality here is not an issue of the lens but an issue of not knowing how to use the camera itself properly." The fact of the matter is that improved knowledge of the camera focusing and metering systems, coupled with a max-resolution RAW image, would likely have yielded an extremely good image.

At this stage, I would not want to scare off the OP with talk of using a cropped body vs. ff. This would be way outside the apparent level of expertise. But to invest now in a 55-250mm lens, with an equivalent field of view of 88mm to 400mm, is just not justified. The 55-250mm will still exist 6 months from now, at the same price range, and well after the OP is up on the learning curve.

One more comment, the OP apparently lives in Williamsburg Virginia, a very photogenic area. The best advice would be to go out and shoot, shoot, shoot and use the Canon provided software and learn, learn, learn.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #38
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

kcrossley, you might also want to pop over to http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galle...utorials.shtml. These are tutorials specific to the 60D but most have good content about using the 60D features, many of which are shared with the T3i. There are about 7 to 8 tutorials, I suggest you scroll left/right and pick the one called "Basic" as a start.
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #39
Brandon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt100 View Post
actually the ability to zoom (longer focal length) would have helped which is what the OP wanted to do but his 18-55 limited this.
What? The OP simply said the following about his image: "hen I zoomed in to photograph the crane (bird) on the very top I thought I had taken a pretty good shot. When I got home and viewed it on my Mac it was grainy. "

In other words, he was happy with the framing. He was not happy with the quality of the resulting image. He said it looked grainy.

If he wants more reach as well, that's fine, but his issue of "graininess" with the original image is not a result of the lens. It's a result of not exposing properly, using automatic settings and not understanding how the camera meters and determines exposure... and missing focus of the main subject. Having a longer focal length would have provided him with a bigger underexposed, grainy and out of focus statue.
Brandon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #40
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from PA View Post
One more comment, the OP apparently lives in Williamsburg Virginia, a very photogenic area. The best advice would be to go out and shoot, shoot, shoot and use the Canon provided software and learn, learn, learn.

I didn't notice, OP - get the 55-250IS - image quality, more reach, you will be satisfied

One from your hometown with the 55-250IS

Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #41
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

Some key differences, the picture by watt100 is done in sunlight at a horizontal vantage point, NOT pointing up trying to get detail in an object silhouetted against a cloudy sky. So...in making a comparison, is the lens the shortcoming or the OP's knowledge level?
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #42
kcrossley

Again, thanks everyone. Great advice. Clearly I need to better educate myself on photography and yes, Williamsburg is a great area to learn.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #43
kcrossley

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt100 View Post

Surprisingly a cheap 55-250IS improves images!
(along with good light!)

XSi (450D) with Canon 55-250IS
185mm - cropped)

This is a beautiful photo. Well done and timely with Easter approaching.
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #44
ahendarman

Had the OP used the 55-250mm lens zoomed to just the crane on the frame, then the camera would have metered the crane properly and landed the focus on the crane resulting in better picture. So in this case, the longer lens would, in theory, help.

Last edited by ahendarman : 23rd of February 2012 (Thu) at 13:12.
ahendarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2012 (Thu)   #45
kcrossley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
That is a decent price, but not a screaming deal.

The 55-250 is very good optically, but it is lightly built. IOW, it won't stand much abuse, so if you buy used from a private seller, be aware of that. Things like whether the IS is working properly may be hard to judge. Take your camera along and mount the lens and take a few shots before you buy. (I'm assuming since you said CL that the seller is local.)

The polarizing filter should be a circular polarizer... if so, and if a good brand, that can add to the value of the purchase. If it is not a circular polarizer, or it is a cheap brand, it really adds nothing.

If you're not in a rush, the 55-250 is regularly put on sale. Also, the suggestion to buy a refurb is a good one if you want some warranty protection.

There has been a new model of the 55-250; it was introduced last year, IIRC, but the changes were cosmetic and manufacturing related (i.e. lowered the cost of manufacturing) and had no effect on the operation or performance of the lens.
I think I'll wait for the next sale. Unfortunately, the price has gone up to $249. I should have jumped when I had the opportunity.