Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #121
John from PA
Goldmember

Default Re: Canon T3i Lenses?

I believe that technically speaking the warranty on a Canon product is not transferable. That being said some people have said that isn't alsways a concern so long as you have the original receipt. Not ever having had to need a Canon warranty, I do not speak from experience.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #122
Keyan
Goldmember

If you have the receipt and it hasn't been registered to a different person then Canon can't prove that you weren't the original purchaser and has no choice but to honor it....

However if it has been registered under a different person or they have had it serviced before I think that will show up in the system.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #123
kcrossley

Ace, where was your refurbished lens manufactured? Why should you toss the filter?

Thanks,
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace and Deuce View Post
I just received my refurb 55-250 from Adorama and it looks like brand new. Paid $185 for it, got a cool cleaning kit and such, and a filter (which everyone here says I should toss is the garbage, lol). I was reluctant to buy a refurb, but after reading about it, seemed like a good deal to me.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #124
kcrossley

I think the lens was part of a camera kit and I'm pretty sure the camera has been registered. Do you register lenses separately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
If you have the receipt and it hasn't been registered to a different person then Canon can't prove that you weren't the original purchaser and has no choice but to honor it....

However if it has been registered under a different person or they have had it serviced before I think that will show up in the system.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #125
Keyan
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
I think the lens was part of a camera kit and I'm pretty sure the camera has been registered. Do you register lenses separately?
My kit came with the 18-135 and I had two warranty cards, one for the body and one for the lens...

Usually when the 55-250 is called part of the "kit" it is still seperate from the actual camera and kit lens, it's more like a bundle, and it should have it's own card and registration I believe. I bought mine retail and then price matched it twice I think as the price dropped.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #126
RTPVid
Goldmember

Quote:
...Why should you toss the filter?

Thanks,
Kelly
Cheap filters do more harm than good.

There is no photographic reason for a UV filter on a DSLR. It is used by some to protect the front element from, well, the elements and minor damage, but doing that with a cheap filter can affect your IQ (e.g. induce flare).

But, using ANY filter for protection violates the religious views of many members!
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #127
cacawcacaw
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post

That's a reasonable assumption but from what I've read Canon does absolutely nothing with the warranty registration other than use it to compile a contact list for marketing.

Like John, I am not speaking from a position of expertise or of personal experience but I've read enough to convince me that Canon doesn't do any cross-checking of names and that the original receipt from an authorized dealer is all that is necessary to qualify for service.

The specifics of gray market lenses is another issue but I assume that any receipt qualifies the lens owner for the non-USA warranty. And, since some authorized dealers sell gray market lenses, there must be some identifying feature on the lens (such as a different serial number) that disqualifies the lens from the US warranty.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #128
Yogi Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacawcacaw View Post

Like John, I am not speaking from a position of expertise or of personal experience but I've read enough to convince me that Canon doesn't do any cross-checking of names and that the original receipt from an authorized dealer is all that is necessary to qualify for service.
I can confirm this from personal experience.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #129
John from PA
Goldmember

kcrossly, you asked of "Ace, where was your refurbished lens manufactured? Why should you toss the filter?"

You will find that an extremely high percentage of lens are manuafactured in Japan. I in fact of never seen one made elsewhere although I'm told they exist. As to why the filter should be tossed, many people feel it detrimental to add more glass of unknown origin to the front of the lens. It does introduce another surface that may or may not control reflections, flare etc. as well as the front element of the lens. It also can increase what is called vignetting, the dark shadows that occur in the corners of an image. On some lenses, and depending on how they are used (aperture and field of view) basicallly the filter can be in the picture. Since it is so close, it will be fuzzy as it is out of focus.

I suggest you end this thread and get on with the purchase of the lens. 9+ pages is definitely "analysis paralysis". Once you get taking pictures and learning, then introduce a new topic based on the future question.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #130
kcrossley

I couldn't agree more. The reason I asked the question above was because the CL Canon lens I'm considering is made in Malaysia, and I hadn't seen that before. If you don't think the country of origin is an issue, then I'll probably move forward with the purchase. Thanks John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from PA View Post
I suggest you end this thread and get on with the purchase of the lens. 9+ pages is definitely "analysis paralysis". Once you get taking pictures and learning, then introduce a new topic based on the future question.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #131
John from PA
Goldmember

Malaysia doesn't surprise me given the low end price of about $250 new. There is also a 55-250mm IS that came out last year, slightly higher price range of $300 new. As you look at the front of the lens there will be a Roman numeral "II" at the end of the lens name. It is similar in quality to the 55-250mm and is essentially made as a kit lens for bundled packages.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #132
Lbsimon

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. The reason I asked the question above was because the CL Canon lens I'm considering is made in Malaysia, and I hadn't seen that before. If you don't think the country of origin is an issue, then I'll probably move forward with the purchase. Thanks John.
My Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 is made in Taiwan.
The Canon EF-S 18-200 is made in Malaysia.
Tamron 70-300mm VC Di 4.0-5.6 is made in China
The other three lenses that I own are made in Japan.