FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 22 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 17:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ErnieT
Joined Jan 2009
711 posts
Melbourne VIC
[MORE/SHARE]

How do you travel from country to country with your Super-tele's when you are over the carry-on baggage limit? Here was my situation.

When i was moving from Melbourne back to Vancouver, we stopped off in Hong Kong for a bit, and some other places but that's not important. When we got to the airport and we checked in our luggage they asked me to weigh my camera backpack and i had my 7D, 500L, 17-40, 70-200 2.8, laptop and a tripod all in the backpack (but the tripod on the outside of course). I had no other way to transport this back because we were moving. Of course it was WAY over the 5kg limit for carry-on, not to mention our checked luggage because when moving home you have two full suitcases of stuff. So they gave us an exemption for our suitcases (very nice, thank you) but they charged me for my back-pack, about $550!!! That's basically the price of the ticket to Hong Kong, just for my back-pack. Then traveling the rest of the way back, no one checked the weight of my back-pack no where and no one made a fuss, even though it was still the same weight. Frustrating! On the way over to Melbourne from Vancouver when i moved there, no one noticed or said a thing either. Just carried it on.

So my question, how do YOU travel with your super heavy back-packs when there isn't another option? Do you have to pay? What can i do about this situation? I've e-mailed Malaysian Airline and they said basically, too bad, that's the regulation. Regulations are fine when they are consistent all the way. I sorta feel that if they didn't see my back-pack at the beginning, no one would have even noticed?

Opinions?

Thanks for reading my long post!

Post #1, Feb 22, 2012 17:50:03

Canon 7D - Gripped, Canon 17-40 F4L, Canon 70-200mm F2.8L non-is, Canon 500mm F4L IS, other photographic odds and ends that i use sometimes

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
musashi
Joined Jul 2010
795 posts
Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Look at it this way, you didnt get screwed coz u were charged $550, u got lucky coz u didnt get charged $550 for all the other times. ;)

Post #2, Feb 22, 2012 18:16:22

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

huntersdad
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
3,777 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Never been asked to weigh mine. It would way surpass your's.

You could have opened taken a few things out and put them in pockets and moved on couldn't you have?

Post #3, Feb 22, 2012 18:20:21

WEBSITEexternal link / Facebookexternal link

1Dx, 1D4, 24-70 f/4, 70-200II, 100-400II, 600II, 1.4x/2x III, 600 EX-Rt, St-E3

ErnieT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
711 posts
Melbourne VIC
[MORE/SHARE]

huntersdad wrote in post #13946500external link
Never been asked to weigh mine. It would way surpass your's.

You could have opened taken a few things out and put them in pockets and moved on couldn't you have?

Yes, but even then. The only thing that i could checked is my tripod and that wouldn't have put me down 10kg.

Post #4, Feb 22, 2012 18:29:58

Canon 7D - Gripped, Canon 17-40 F4L, Canon 70-200mm F2.8L non-is, Canon 500mm F4L IS, other photographic odds and ends that i use sometimes

Keebert
Joined Feb 2011
612 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Depends on the airline. It's important to read the small print which you can often find on the website. For example, I fly Continental a lot and they say:

Personal items
In addition to the one carry-on item, you may bring one personal item such as a large shoulder bag, large backpack, laptop bag or an item of similar size.
The following items are not counted toward your one bag and one personal item limit: (long list including) Camera

Hence I've never had any trouble with them. Other airlines may have different rules. When I went to Tanzania on Safari, I had two cameras and 4 lenses all in my backpack and never had any problems with any of the airlines I flew (3 of them). I did check very thoroughly before booking with each though - often it may pay to spend $50 more on a ticket and save the $500 excess bag fee!

PS, I worked for 5 years in Malaysia and flew MH an awful lot. I never had a problem in Malaysia but often did out of country. They generally don't have that many of their own staff at airports outside Malaysia and use contract service providers like SwissPort. They are instructed to follow the letter of the rules and have no flexibility. There are two ways around this: find the MH supervisor and check-in at their desk as they are usually more flexible or [cheeky]leave your hand-luggage out of sight when you check-in so you never get asked the question to have it weighed.[/cheeky]

Post #5, Feb 22, 2012 20:02:20

5D3, 50/1.4, 40/2.8, 24-105L, 100L, 70-200L II, 400/5.6L, 600EX-RT, Zuiko 28/2.8, flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Keebert wrote in post #13947245external link
Depends on the airline. It's important to read the small print which you can often find on the website.

^^^

flying from USA to New Zealand, Air New Zealand had a 7Kg limit for a single carry on, and I had to off load items from the camera bag into checked luggage at the check in counter...they granted a bit of leeway, with 7.5Kg in my camera bag.

flying within Australia, Qantas was a size sticker...because I could not lower my overnight carry on into the size checking frame without tilting the bag just a few degrees to clear the plastic feet (the bag itself fit fine, if the feet were not there), I had to check that bag.

In previous 30 years of extensive flying, I never had an issue with any other airline!

Post #6, Feb 23, 2012 11:13:15

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

LIST NEARBY THREADS
740 views & 0 likes for this thread
Super-tele international traveling
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES