Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #361
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Default Re: DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedojo View Post
I Am loving the m4/3
Starting to take more and more "snap shots", getting a lot more use out of it, but I will be in it as much as my canon setup when im finished lol.

gf2- $150
12mm - 800
45mm - 400
em-5 - 1000
Billingham Hadley - 250
lens hoods 120
total = 2720... yikes!
And i still need to pickup the Pana Leica 25mm!!! for another 550 bucks...
photography sure makes your money evaporate !
Yep. Photography is a huge money pit regardless of your system of choice But with some patience watching the used market like a hawk and a bit of rejigging you can assemble a capable system for much less. Here's what I paid for my setup:

E-P3 + 14-42mm kit (used) - $500
12mm f/2 + 3rd party hood (used) - $670
45mm f/1.8 (eBay from Korea) - $340
20mm f/1.7 (used) - $300
17mm f/2.8 - $300 (can be bought used for around $200)
40-150mm f/4-5.6 (Staples sale) - $110
Domke F-5XC - $85
Optech camera strap - $15

Total: $2320.

The only change I see myself making anytime soon is to upgrade the camera to either an E-M5 or an E-P4 (or whatever it will be called), which is probably around a $400-$500 upgrade, at which point I'll be set for a long time.

I don't have a backup body or the E-M5, don't have hoods for everything, and I don't have that beautiful Billingham bag, but it's a system that covers all my needs and includes some awesome primes. One could even swap out the 20mm and 17mm for a used 25mm for slightly less if desired. The 12mm is the only lens I would consider pricey (although to me it's worth it), and if you swap that out for the miniature 14mm f/2.5 you would save another $470 or so bringing your total down to $1750. Or swap for the 9-18mm for slightly less than the original total. Or grab a used Panasonic 7-14mm for around the same price as the 12mm prime. Or, or, or...

Point is that TANSTAAFL still holds true, but you can assemble an awesome, small, and lightweight m4/3 kit for not a huge amount of money if you don't mind scouring the used market and looking for deals, and the lens selection is getting really good.
Yohan Pamudji is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #362
bedojo

like Yohan showed it can be done for a lot cheaper!
I just went with new, and the newest body, the ep-3 is just as good for half the price :P (it's is a seriously great camera )
I began buying new after a few bad experiences with a used body and used lens. bought a 50D with 15,000 shutter counts,
checked it on my computer when i got it and it was up in the 80K...
and then dusts in and scratches on a 17-40L that I was not told about when I asked :S

but Yohan's kit is every bit as good, even better then mine (more lenses ), and cheaper!

I was torn between the price of the domke and the billingham :/ it came down to the billingham b/c i was reading comparisons and people claimed that the domke isn't rain proof and that rain sometimes leaks in from the top, which pushed me to go with the Billingham.
As I live in oregon and walk in the rain daily during the fall winter seasons, + will be in bangkok for school right durring their rainy season which i was told was like flash hard rain storms then clears up a bit.

and before you compare it to a second hand 5d with a 35mm nonL, the 20mm and 45mm are great lenses and can be had for less then 400 each, the 14 and 17mm are great also. but not quite as good optics as the 12mm or 45mm or 25mm (which is to be expected)
the lenses i bought are their high end lenses. they have plenty of lower cost lenses as well

gf2 is great and can be had for 150 bucks haha

Last edited by bedojo : 11th of April 2012 (Wed) at 12:41.
bedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #363
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedojo View Post
like Yohan showed it can be done for a lot cheaper!
I just went with new, and the newest body, the ep-3 is just as good for half the price :P (it's is a seriously great camera )
It really is--lightning fast AF in good light and still fast in lower light, touchscreen that lets me put the active AF point anywhere in the frame. If the E-P3 had a stop better high ISO performance I would probably keep it for a long time. A stop better high ISO performance would put it very close to the 5D. Oh hey, look: the E-M5 is a stop better than the E-P3 If the E-P4 has the E-M5 sensor + flip screen that would be my preference, but we'll have wait and see.

Quote:
I began buying new after a few bad experiences with a used body and used lens. bought a 50D with 15,000 shutter counts,
checked it on my computer when i got it and it was up in the 80K...
and then dusts in and scratches on a 17-40L that I was not told about when I asked :S
Did you buy here? Isn't there a feedback system? I do most of my used wheeling and dealing at FM where there's a really good feedback system. I haven't been burnt yet.

Quote:
but Yohan's kit is every bit as good, even better then mine (more lenses ), and cheaper!
More lenses but giving up ground in other areas. We'll call it a tie

Quote:
I was torn between the price of the domke and the billingham :/ it came down to the billingham b/c i was reading comparisons and people claimed that the domke isn't rain proof and that rain sometimes leaks in from the top, which pushed me to go with the Billingham.
As I live in oregon and walk in the rain daily during the fall winter seasons, + will be in bangkok for school right durring their rainy season which i was told was like flash hard rain storms then clears up a bit.
I'm not sure I'd trust either bag during monsoon season in South East Asia. The Billingham just has a flap cover up top and not a zipper? Not that zippers are water proof, but I'm thinking the zipper on the Domke might help prevent some splash leakage. With either bag I'd bring a plastic bag to cover with though, and that's in fact what I do with the Domke--always have a plastic trash bag handy.

Quote:
and before you compare it to a second hand 5d with a 35mm nonL, the 20mm and 45mm are great lenses and can be had for less then 400 each, the 14 and 17mm are great also. but not quite as good optics as the 12mm or 45mm or 25mm (which is to be expected)
the lenses i bought are their high end lenses. they have plenty of lower cost lenses as well
Yeah, 14mm + 20mm + 45mm (28mm, 40mm, 90mm equivalent) makes a nice setup too for about $850. And the 14mm and 20mm are pancake lenses! Add a camera and it's still lighter and (I think) smaller than a 5D + 35mm f/2; definitely more versatile in a small package in any case. Given the choice between the 2 and no other cameras and lenses I'd personally still go with the 5D + 35mm since that's my favorite focal length, but the m4/3 system is no slouch and can fit some users' needs better than a big DSLR if they'd give it a chance. There's still lots of FUD out there about m4/3, but hopefully the more people take a serious look at it the more they'll realize just how capable it is.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #364
Charlie
Cream of the Crop

How would the video compare with like a 5d2 + 35F2? It's been a real treat using this smaller combo. I wouldnt mind smaller, but perfectly happy with the size TBH. I'm know I'm getting top notch quality every time I hit the shutter, though I'm sure that using M4/3rds with a nice pp workflow would even the score in a hurry.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #365
dino8031

All of this discussion illustrates that there are a lot of great choices out there in the m4/3 world at all sorts of price points, but mostly at expensive price points, of course.

As the system matures I expect to see a lot of great stuff in the future.

I think it's time for some relatively fast f/4 or f/2.8 zooms. I'm guessing there are engineering issues with producing fast zooms in very small form factors.

I'd also love to see Canon get into the game. It'd be very cool to see tiny little red-ringed m4/3 L lenses.

We could have endless discussions of the 12-52.5 vs the 12-35.
dino8031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #366
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
How would the video compare with like a 5d2 + 35F2? It's been a real treat using this smaller combo. I wouldnt mind smaller, but perfectly happy with the size TBH. I'm know I'm getting top notch quality every time I hit the shutter, though I'm sure that using M4/3rds with a nice pp workflow would even the score in a hurry.
Honestly if the size doesn't bother you I wouldn't give up the 5DII + 35mm f/2. For me the only really compelling reason to go m4/3 is smaller size and less weight. If that isn't even a consideration then no point giving up image quality.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #367
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino8031 View Post
I'd also love to see Canon get into the game. It'd be very cool to see tiny little red-ringed m4/3 L lenses.
I used to think about that too, but I fear with Canon trying to protect their DSLR cash cow that their mirrorless offering would be similar to Nikon's--an even smaller sensor and boring lenses.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #368
Charlie
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan Pamudji View Post
Honestly if the size doesn't bother you I wouldn't give up the 5DII + 35mm f/2. For me the only really compelling reason to go m4/3 is smaller size and less weight. If that isn't even a consideration then no point giving up image quality.
The new olympus has pretty stellar image stabilization. I definitely dont see a 35mm F2 IS in the works.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #369
Yohan Pamudji
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The new olympus has pretty stellar image stabilization. I definitely dont see a 35mm F2 IS in the works.
Well yeah, there is that I'm an Olympus camera user instead of Panasonic because of in-body stabilization, so I use it all the time and appreciate having it, but I didn't consider it a huge selling point over a DSLR. Maybe I underestimated the attraction of having IS with all lenses.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #370
bedojo

I wish i had IS on the gf2, low light it would be awesome! XP
fedex just dropped of the bag... and omg it is nice.
If you are happy with the 5d2 setup i wouldn't switch, I loved mine for studio shoots, and for paid gigs, tried out the gf2 in studio and got good enough images for what I like to do.

here is a sensor size comparison, very close to aps-c.
Basically if aps-c is good enough for someone m4/3 should be as well
except they don't have the lens choice of canikon, they got great lenses, but not all the variety, and lacking the constant f2.8 zooms,

But I don't think a f2.8 zoom would fit well with the minimalist, small sized system :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
When you get into the Four-Thirds lenses, definitely pick up the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD. You won't find another lens like it in the Micro Four-Thirds lineup yet, at least not this year for sure. It's a really good balance between easy-to-wield size, relatively fast speed, and wonderful sharp resolving power.

When you pick up a Four-Thirds mount adapter, get the new MMF-3 which is weather sealed. That way, if you upgrade to or purchase an OM-D body (you haven't said which body you're getting), the entire system will be weather sealed as long as you stick with High Grade or Super High Grade Zuiko lenses. There's not much point in adapting Standard Grade Zuiko lenses anyways, since you will be able to find Micro Four-Thirds equivalents to all of them.

Definitely pick up the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. It's the lens that suits your criteria the most out of what lenses are currently available. You seem to like the long focal lengths, as do I. Unfortunately, most of the longer lenses are still waiting for arrival later this year, such as the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro, and Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8. I think the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 would be right up your alley, but you'll have to wait on that one... If you don't mind manual focus though, then you might want to look at the Rokinon/Samyang/Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 for Four-Thirds mount.

PS, when you're comparing focal lengths you can pretty much pick the same focal lengths you were using on your APS-C system. APS-C (especially Canon's version) gives you about the same view as Four-Thirds except extended on the long ends because of the wider aspect ratio. The difference in vertical height and image magnification is unnoticeable.

APS-C crop:

Four-Thirds crop:

Notice how you see more of the bee's legs in the APS-C image, but it seems to be just as "close" as the Four-Thirds image? You will have to learn to adjust yourself to the new aspect ratio, but don't worry about the changing the focal lengths from what you're used to.

If you're one of those who shoots in APS-C then crops your image to 8x10 before exporting it... then you'll get nearly the exact same framing natively from Four-Thirds.

not trying to convert any one, but I love the system :P

oh btw, fedex just dropped off the billingham hadley pro! it smells so good lol.
Seems nice and strong. I like the size of the pro, fits ipad and a small textboox & notebook for school with my gf2 and 2 lenses. with room to spare

Last edited by bedojo : 11th of April 2012 (Wed) at 15:09.
bedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #371
jubilatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommydigi View Post
The more I read this thread the more I realize bigger really is better :-}
9 months ago, as a tired 50d owner, i would disagree. But now, as a frustrated NEX owner (with no good native lenses) and with 5d2 at so low prices...
I like BOKEH, i shot at f1.4 with the nex and i love it, but i am drooling thinking about how the background could look with a FF at f1.4...
Never have a FF and i am thinking that they will have a good resale value after a year or two (compared with MFT that is bringing 4-8 new cameras/year), so, if i will get tyred again, there will be no problems switching.
jubilatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #372
Charlie
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilatu View Post
9 months ago, as a tired 50d owner, i would disagree. But now, as a frustrated NEX owner (with no good native lenses) and with 5d2 at so low prices...
I like BOKEH, i shot at f1.4 with the nex and i love it, but i am drooling thinking about how the background could look with a FF at f1.4...
Never have a FF and i am thinking that they will have a good resale value after a year or two (compared with MFT that is bringing 4-8 new cameras/year), so, if i will get tyred again, there will be no problems switching.
if you're a bokeholic, FF is the way to go. Even with the 50 1.8, your bokeh will be even creamier than 35 1.4 on the NEX. It can be a curse as well, shooting that thin DOF will cause more missed shots.
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #373
bedojo

Yes there will be shallower dof on a full frame, also it is because there a 35mm is a 35mm on any system, may have the same fov as a 50mm, but it is still a 35mm :P

but the 45mm f 1.8 (i posted a few pics above) pretty darn good bokeh! but yeah it would be better on a 50 1.8 & full frame :P
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #374
jubilatu

regarding the lens, i have to 2 problems:
1) Pro MFT - all the lens are telecentric (rays of light are perpendicular on the sensor) - that, theoretically, could improve the corners image quality.
2) Pro 5d2 - MFT lenses are, apparently, not well designed and need firmware update/intervention - even the raw files are modified.

How much affect these the quality of a monitor viewing/ large print - maybe some of the switchers could tell.
jubilatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #375
bedojo

I do recall my ep-1 and 20mm f1.7 needing a firmware update to play along better.

But i haven't noticed anything with my gf2 and oly 45 1.8 and 12 2.0.
I think the firmware update was an old issue (correct me if im wrong), two different manufactures making lenses to be compatible with eachothers cameras, bound to run into issues.

for example some sigma lenses needed updating on canon cameras (i believe it was the 70-200 and 7D)
I will send off some photos for 8x10 test prints at millers (haven't signed up for them yet), once i get my em-5