Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 08 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 08:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Photo of " Nothing " .

fotodof
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 08, 2012 19:47 |  #16

Thanks guys, got a lot of ideas, will post pictures during the weekend and see what you think of them, thanks again.
Love the enthusiasm ..........

Canon 5DMK III ,Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip, Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens , Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM ,Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM ,Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM , Tokina AF 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro SD FX (EOS) - Full Format- , Sniper "Steel" Camera Strap .Canon EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera with 22mm and 18-55mm Lenses.

sponsored links
icopus
She'll catch me when I least expect her.
2,215 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 08, 2012 20:27 |  #17

gjl711 wrote in post #14050072 (external link)
I have another idea. So many good ideas here but none are "nothing". They are all something that we are trying to pretend are nothing or more accurately, they are representations of emptiness. So in actuality, there is only one thing to do.

Turn in NOTHING.

When the teacher asks where your assignment is you can simply proclaim...

"I turned in nothing, therefore I am the only one in the class to have done so. All others turned in something which is not nothing. i am waiting for my A++ as I am the only one who understood the assignment."

Case closed. :):)

I seriously doubt the teacher of a photography class will appreciate this kind of response. And wouldn't you be retarding your photography skills by not taking part in this assignment? Finally, you would be wasting your time and money taking the class if you take this route.

But I like this concept. You could begin explaining all this to your teacher to get his reaction, then shove your work at him and say, "Psych!"

Camera hit me in the face, now I have a bokeh eye.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Tragic_Golfer
400 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 08, 2012 22:58 |  #18

Go to the beach. Get a stick and write "NOTHING" in the sand and take some creative pictures of it. Once "Nothing is in the photo, you can add whatever you like.

Canon 5D mkII - BG-E6 Grip, Canon 40D Gripped, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 550EX, Canon 430EXII.

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2012 05:40 |  #19

Take a screen shot of the forum debate about whether people are going to change camera system so they can have the Nikon D800, that's is a whole lot of nothing.
Whoops, wrong forum

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Gryphes
335 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 09, 2012 05:59 |  #20

Empty out you bank account and spend it on gear. Then go to a atm request your bank balance, which will be nothing and snap a picture of it with your new gear lol.

flickr (external link)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 100L | 16-35L | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Gitzo 3542LS | Arca-Swiss Z1 DP | RRS plates | 430EXII | Lee Filters

fotodof
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 09, 2012 06:02 |  #21

A colleague of mine he is a " nikon man " , was trying to be funny and said " I will take a shot of a Canon camera to represent nothing " , my reply to him " If you wanna take a shot of a Canon camera, Two things are for sure, -1- The Canon camera is there to take a shot at and second you still need a camera to take the shot with ".

Canon 5DMK III ,Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip, Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens , Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM ,Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM ,Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM , Tokina AF 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro SD FX (EOS) - Full Format- , Sniper "Steel" Camera Strap .Canon EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera with 22mm and 18-55mm Lenses.

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 11, 2012 01:53 |  #22

A person meditating on white seamless, add a shadow under them as if to suggest levitation, a skinny old bald guy would be ideal.
A sheet of white paper with "Ideas for "Nothing" photography 101 (or whatever the class name is) assignment" with nothing else on the paper.
A photo essay of the old riddle; What is greater than God, More evil than the devil, The poor have it,
The rich want it, And if you eat it, you'll die?
Or maybe even just a guy who looks rich and is holding a sign that reads "I want..."

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

aSalazarPhoto
147 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 11, 2012 03:03 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Time for me to get weird, here it goes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunami's, earthquakes, fires, flat tires, overinflated tires, or gas, old house, new house, no house, a ripped blouse, a mouse, a body louse, sunburns, finger nails clipped to short, pimples, burnt BBQ, one meal a day, warm water, melted ice cream, working all day long, all night long, are mere nothing when holding a newborn life! all can be contested but, I say, it's nothing xD

tylerpaulphoto
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2012 04:17 |  #24

What photo school area you at?

Gear

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 11, 2012 09:06 |  #25

Think air guitar. People miming instruments or tools in dilapidated buildings?

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

Noitca
487 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 12, 2012 14:23 |  #26

Maybe shoot a silouhette? One way to think of nothing is to have zero light... so push the light to the background, maybe?

Take a high iso shot with the lens cap on?

Could also do a picture of...
...your TV when Seinfeld is on?
...an American dollar bill.

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

MrSo0h0o
118 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2012 19:44 |  #27

maybe spell out the word NOTHING with different objects. that way, you are portraying nothing with something

I Gripped 60D I Canon 50mm f1.8 I Canon 55-250mm I Canon 18-55mm IS I Tamron 28-75 f2.8 I Sigma 30mm f1.4 I

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2012 02:11 |  #28

take a picture of my bank account.

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

drmaxx
906 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 06, 2012 16:15 as a reply to  @ post 14050369 |  #29

One of the most impressive photos I've seen of 'nothing' were whiteouts taken in snow blizzards. I can not remember the artist name anymore, sorry about that.

I found the name:
Geert Goiris, The pic (actually a tryptichon) I am talking about is Whiteout 4 (Crown Bay), 2008 - 2009

Donate if you love POTN

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2012 00:48 |  #30

You can get away with pretty much anything with this kind of assignment. Just shoot something meaningful to you.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

8,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Photo of " Nothing " .
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.