Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of March 2012 (Wed)   #1
InterMurph

Default Can I monitor my 5D Mark II/Mark III video recording on an iPad?

I will (hopefully) be receiving my Canon 5D Mark III in enough time to record a school play.

I understand that the 5D Mark III will not auto-focus during video recording, so it's up to me to get the focus right. I don't want to rely on the small LCD screen on the camera, so I plan to bring a monitor with me.

Can I use an iPad for this? I see that the iPad has an AV adapter with HDMI:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...V_Adapter.html

But this appears to be for output only.

Is it possible to monitor the video being recorded on a 5D Mark II or Mark III on an iPad?

Thanks.
InterMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of March 2012 (Wed)   #2
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Default Re: Can I monitor my 5D Mark II/Mark III video recording on an iPad?

There is no video in on the ipads that I know of. So unless there is some remote view app I dont think there is a way to do it.
Old 14th of March 2012 (Wed)   #3
InterMurph

My Google searches have turned up a lot of references to wireless tethering, but those solutions seem to require a jailbroken iPad, and an EyeFi card.

Looks like I'll have to lug a monitor to the school, along with all of my other gear.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #4
laselvasurf

There is currently not way to do this. I would recommend getting a nice production monitor (marshall, tv logic, smallhd). Though they are atleast $500 for something decent.
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #5
InterMurph

Alas, my budget for this is $0.

I tested my 5D Mark III and my Dell 24-inch monitor, and it works. The resolution is pretty crappy, but at least I can get a decent feel for the focus.

I am tempted to curse Apple's obstinacy on such things, but I don't think there is an Android table that does this either.
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #6
laselvasurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
Alas, my budget for this is $0.

I tested my 5D Mark III and my Dell 24-inch monitor, and it works. The resolution is pretty crappy, but at least I can get a decent feel for the focus.
This may be the best way to do it. If you were using a 7D, the resolution would remain higher resolution, even during record mode. Did you just use the HDMI input on your Dell?
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #7
InterMurph

Yes, I connected the HDMI output on the camera to the HDMI input on my Dell.

I hope to get my 5D Mark III before the shows (March 29th). Is there any reason to believe that the Mark III will output the full HD resolution to this monitor?

Thanks.
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #8
ben_r_

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
Yes, I connected the HDMI output on the camera to the HDMI input on my Dell.

I hope to get my 5D Mark III before the shows (March 29th). Is there any reason to believe that the Mark III will output the full HD resolution to this monitor?

Thanks.
Do some research online about it. Rumor is that it will. All the bodies since the 5D2 have I believe.
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #9
laselvasurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
Do some research online about it. Rumor is that it will. All the bodies since the 5D2 have I believe.
The only Canon body that does that you can purchase right now is the 7D. The 60D, t2i/t3i, 5dmk2 all only do the 480i res once you're recording. It seems that the 5D MK3 will have the capabilities to send atleast a 720 signal through hdmi while recording, should be the same as the 7D actually. So, you should be able to get a nice sharp image on your Dell with that camera.
Old 15th of March 2012 (Thu)   #10
InterMurph

From the 5D Mark II manual (http://www.canonrumors.com/files/eos...-im-c-en.pdf):

Quote:
If you have a High-Definition TV set and connect your camera with an HDMI cable, you can watch Full High-Definition (FULL HD: 1920x1080) and High-Definition (HD: 1280x720) movies with higher image quality
This passage is in reference to watching an already-recorded movie on TV. I assume that it also applies to the signal passed during the recording, but I can't be sure.
Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #11
ChasWG
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
There is no video in on the ipads that I know of. So unless there is some remote view app I dont think there is a way to do it.
Sorry Ben, I just picked your response because it was first. Others said the same thing, but you guys are wrong. There is a way to view video and audio on an iPad. I work with a guy that has a system to do this with his iPad as a producer monitor. It works very well, but again, I work at a pro level so my fix isn't going to be cheap, but it works! We us it with a Panasonic HDX-900 and transmit HD video via Wifi.

Look into the Teradek Cube.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

http://www.teradek.com/gallery/img_1.png

It's a Wifi encoder and if you have a iPad with Wifi abilities you have the receiver and monitor built into one. There is a very slight delay (1/4 second or less), but it actually is very clean and solid if you have it set up properly.

This is all predicated on the 5D III can output a signal while recording.
http://vimeo.com/user9461302/videos

Last edited by ChasWG : 16th of March 2012 (Fri) at 15:54.
ChasWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #12
ben_r_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasWG View Post
Sorry Ben, I just picked your response because it was first. Others said the same thing, but you guys are wrong. There is a way to view video and audio on an iPad. I work with a guy that has a system to do this with his iPad as a producer monitor. It works very well, but again, I work at a pro level so my fix isn't going to be cheap, but it works! We us it with a Panasonic HDX-900 and transmit HD video via Wifi.

Look into the Teradek Cube.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

http://www.teradek.com/gallery/img_1.png

It's a Wifi encoder and if you have a iPad with Wifi abilities you have the receiver and monitor built into one. There is a very slight delay (1/4 second or less), but it actually is very clean and solid if you have it set up properly.

This is all predicated on the 5D III can output a signal while recording.

Crap... Youre right, and I KNEW about that box too, which makes it worse. I was thinking like HDMI in or analog video in when I said no. But thats unit utilizes an entirely different route. Probably out of OPs price range though...
Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #13
InterMurph

The OP doesn't want to buy a third device to get the first two to talk to each other.

I think I will just use my monitor.
Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #14
ben_r_

When youre ready, I have and highly recommend a SmallHD monitor. I use the DP6 with my 5D2 and 60D and love it. Its pretty much the industry standard for DSLRs. You can find used DP1x models too for great prices some times. They dont have all the features but are still great monitors that handle the up scaling well.
Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #15
ChasWG
Goldmember

I did say it was expensive. Oh well, just pointing it out as an option. people always want everything on the cheap around here. Problem is, video and audio isn't exactly cheap really.
http://vimeo.com/user9461302/videos
ChasWG is offline   Reply With Quote