Thanks to the newly released RAW files from Imaging Resource, we can now do direct comparisons between the 5D3 and D800.
Here is a quick and straightforward test:
- These came from ISO 25600 RAW files, taken from http://www.imaging-resource.com/
- Used dcraw to convert to 16-bit TIFF before JPEG.
- No sharpening, No NR.
- Downsized both to 8 megapixels (PS Bicubic).
- 5D3 exposure is much longer than D800. We will ignore because testers admitted that light source changes between tests.
- The 100% Crops of 8 megapixels.
So to summarize:
- D800 has 63% more pixels
- D800 has at least 2 stops more dynamic range at ISO 100
- D800 looks equal or better than the 5D3 at ISO 25600
Sooo... exactly what did Canon gain by staying at 22 megapixels?