would you trade the IQ of a FF with...

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 16 Mar 2012 (Friday) 11:23   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jubilatu
Joined Jul 2009
78 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

would you trade the IQ (and superiorAF, and the bulkiness, and...) of a FF DSLR for the size and stealthiness of a micro43, NEX, x-100, and so on? the question is strictly regarding documentary and street photography.
i started the thread because i went from a 50d +17-55 to NEX and manual focus and now, with 5d2 beeing so cheap... i cannot decide about trade offs

Post #1, Mar 16, 2012 11:23:21

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2010
10,448 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

If size was the most important thing, yes. I don't believe the IQ difference is noticeable at all unless you are printing or viewing at very large sizes, much more depends on the photographer and of course the light.

Personally though, no. I don't like the way non-DSLR cameras handle, I like having an OVF, I like the control layout etc... That is more important to me than anything.

Post #2, Mar 16, 2012 12:44:28

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Xymnslot
Joined Dec 2010
49 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jubilatu wrote in post #14097272external link
would you trade the IQ (and superiorAF, and the bulkiness, and...) of a FF DSLR for the size and stealthiness of a micro43, NEX, x-100, and so on? the question is strictly regarding documentary and street photography.
i started the thread because i went from a 50d +17-55 to NEX and manual focus and now, with 5d2 beeing so cheap... i cannot decide about trade offs

Personally, no. I'm using the T2i and 17-55 almost exclusively...I have no desire to go bigger, but I don't find the size to be imposing or difficult. I would like to have an x100 in addition though just for convenience and similar quality.

Or, for significantly more money, a Leica...excellent image quality and good size, all for the small tradeoff of profoundly more money.

Post #3, Mar 20, 2012 00:31:22

KarlG-
Joined Aug 2010
156 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I did a trip to Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore last September & left my 5DII at home in favour of my Leica M8 and 3 lenses (15/35/90, so roughly 20/46/120 in FF terms), plus my Leica M4-P for some film shots (mainly B&W).

I missed the 5D once or twice for low light shots, but otherwise I loved the small size & weight of the Leica kit & will almost certainly be making the same decision next time I travel!

Post #4, Mar 22, 2012 21:27:22

5D Mark 3 | Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 | Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 | 135mm f/2.0L
Leica M240 | CV 21mm | ZM 35mm f/2.8 | CV 35mm f/1.2 | Leica 50mm f/2.0 | Leica 90mm f/2.8
Websiteexternal link | Facebookexternal link

treck_dialect
Joined Jul 2010
689 posts
QC Philippines
[MORE/SHARE]

yes. the 5d is rather big and very conspicous.

Post #5, Mar 25, 2012 02:26:15

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/external link
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
799 views & 0 likes for this thread
would you trade the IQ of a FF with...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES