Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #1
jubilatu

Default would you trade the IQ of a FF with...

would you trade the IQ (and superiorAF, and the bulkiness, and...) of a FF DSLR for the size and stealthiness of a micro43, NEX, x-100, and so on? the question is strictly regarding documentary and street photography.
i started the thread because i went from a 50d +17-55 to NEX and manual focus and now, with 5d2 beeing so cheap... i cannot decide about trade offs
jubilatu is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: would you trade the IQ of a FF with...

If size was the most important thing, yes. I don't believe the IQ difference is noticeable at all unless you are printing or viewing at very large sizes, much more depends on the photographer and of course the light.

Personally though, no. I don't like the way non-DSLR cameras handle, I like having an OVF, I like the control layout etc... That is more important to me than anything.
Sirrith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2012 (Tue)   #3
Xymnslot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilatu View Post
would you trade the IQ (and superiorAF, and the bulkiness, and...) of a FF DSLR for the size and stealthiness of a micro43, NEX, x-100, and so on? the question is strictly regarding documentary and street photography.
i started the thread because i went from a 50d +17-55 to NEX and manual focus and now, with 5d2 beeing so cheap... i cannot decide about trade offs
Personally, no. I'm using the T2i and 17-55 almost exclusively...I have no desire to go bigger, but I don't find the size to be imposing or difficult. I would like to have an x100 in addition though just for convenience and similar quality.

Or, for significantly more money, a Leica...excellent image quality and good size, all for the small tradeoff of profoundly more money.

Last edited by Xymnslot : 20th of March 2012 (Tue) at 00:33.
Xymnslot is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of March 2012 (Thu)   #4
KarlG-

I did a trip to Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore last September & left my 5DII at home in favour of my Leica M8 and 3 lenses (15/35/90, so roughly 20/46/120 in FF terms), plus my Leica M4-P for some film shots (mainly B&W).

I missed the 5D once or twice for low light shots, but otherwise I loved the small size & weight of the Leica kit & will almost certainly be making the same decision next time I travel!
Old 25th of March 2012 (Sun)   #5
treck_dialect

yes. the 5d is rather big and very conspicous.

Flickr
treck_dialect is offline   Reply With Quote