FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 19 Mar 2012 (Monday) 16:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

blackzarg
Joined Jul 2011
158 posts
SF Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

My friend has asked me to take pictures at an event he is hosting in some small performance venues in San Francisco (one is the Old First Churchexternal link). I'll be taking photos pre/post concert as well. I've never done an event before (my friend knows that, he just wants pictures that look better than something from a P&S), and I have some concerns...

Lens Choice:
Do you think the Canon 55-250 will be capable enough to get some close-ups of the performance, without flash? I will most likely bring a tripod to assist with shooting as well. I'll also be using the Tamron 17-50 or the Nifty-Fifty for shots of people pre/post concert. I should be able to use my YN-465 as bounce flash. I do have an umbrella setup but I don't think that will be necessary.

Shutter Sound:
I'm also contemplating swapping my T3i for a 60D (would be about $20 more after selling the T3i and kit lens) - would the shutter sound be obnoxious during a live performance? It's modern classical music, which is mostly going to be atonal or very angsty sounding, but I'm sure there will be quiet moments as well.

Thanks a lot!

Post #1, Mar 19, 2012 16:49:59

Canon 60D | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II
Flash: YN465 | RF602 Triggers
Other Stuff: Gorillapod SLR-Zoom w/ Manfrotto 484RC2 | Other tripods and ballheads

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
boogada
Joined Jul 2010
167 posts
Germany
[MORE/SHARE]

blackzarg wrote in post #14114987external link
Lens Choice:
Do you think the Canon 55-250 will be capable enough to get some close-ups of the performance, without flash? I will most likely bring a tripod to assist with shooting as well. I'll also be using the Tamron 17-50 or the Nifty-Fifty for shots of people pre/post concert. I should be able to use my YN-465 as bounce flash. I do have an umbrella setup but I don't think that will be necessary.

I don't think the 55-250 will be fast enough for close ups without flash. With flash it should be okay. See if you can bounce the flash well and you should be good.
Tripod and umbrellas - I don't see this happen during a concert. A tripod is only limiting your freedom to move, and you probably need fast shutter speeds anyways to avoid motion blur. And if you use flash, you can use a shutter fast enough that you don't need stabilization at all.

blackzarg wrote in post #14114987external link
Shutter Sound:
I'm also contemplating swapping my T3i for a 60D (would be about $20 more after selling the T3i and kit lens) - would the shutter sound be obnoxious during a live performance? It's modern classical music, which is mostly going to be atonal or very angsty sounding, but I'm sure there will be quiet moments as well.

Its hard to judge how loud your camera will be compared to the room sound. I don't think the different camera model will have a significant effect on this. There are some options to make it less loud, but maybe your best choice would be to find the right moment so that the click does not disturb. It might also help to change position so you don't disturb the same persons near you all the time.

Post #2, Mar 19, 2012 17:35:17

My websiteexternal link
I also publish a Photo Zineexternal link

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,618 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

It depends on the lighting conditions to whether the 55-250 is "fast" enough. I have seen photographers using kit lenses and get good photos published. Though I would have the 50mm 1.8 if your budget is not good

Post #3, Mar 21, 2012 04:27:39

Bodies: Canon 50D, Canon 5DMKII
Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 USM,
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L USM II Canon 24-70mm 2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM II
Compact: Canon G12 www.richiesoansphotogr​aphy.co.ukexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Contemporary Music Event Shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES