Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #1
Akrobatiks

Default Canon 5D Mark III In Camera HDR and High ISO Test Images

In Camera HDR test shots from the Canon 5D Mark III....

I just got to shoot with the 5D Mark III last night and I have to say that it is pretty sick!! I could have used another couple of hours more to get more familiar with it but I have to say that I am really impressed with the little time I had!! The 61 point AF system is crazy and I didnt even really tap into its ability at all. The in camera HDR feature is really cool and I am happy with the results. Here is one of the test shots with the In camera HDR function. 3 images @ -2, 0, +2 and composed in camera. I did my usual levels and curve adjustments in photoshop....

In Camera HDR
100 ISO
f11

5D MARK III

Thanks to my buddy J for letting me help him break in his brand new 5D Mark III a week before everyone else!!! Here it is seen with my Canon 14mm 2.8L attached....

More Canon 5D Mark III Test Shots

10,000 ISO in camera +/- 2 EV handheld HDR shot with the 5DMarkIII.... As you can see, even at such a high ISO, there is very little noise! Im definitely Impressed!! Especially with the fact that it is possible to achieve this kind of result without a tripod at night... Thats insane!!

More test shots:

800 ISO
3.2 Sec
f11
InCameraHDR +/- 2 EV
On a Tri-pod

Body: EOS 5D Mark II - Battery Grip BG-E6
Glass: EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM - EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - EF 50mm f / 1.2L USM - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM - Extender EF 2x II - Extender 1.4x III

Last edited by Akrobatiks : 21st of March 2012 (Wed) at 13:57.
Akrobatiks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #2
Maverique

Default Re: Canon 5D Mark III In Camera HDR and High ISO Test Images

Are you doing these with RAW files or jpegs?
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #3
Akrobatiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverique View Post
Are you doing these with RAW files or jpegs?
Raw files... In camera HDR converts 3 Raw files into 1 jpg. I have a ton of raw images I am trying to look at, but adobe needs to release the update so lightroom can read them. Currently LR4 does not recognize the 5DIII raw format...

Glass: EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM - EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - EF 50mm f / 1.2L USM - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM - Extender EF 2x II - Extender 1.4x III
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #4
Cody21

I was going to ask if you used a Tripod for those .. you said you did NOT ... LOVE IT !!! Can't wait. I hope I get mine before I leave for Italy on April 29th !!!!!!!! Must do HDR for the Roman Coliseum (without tripod - Italy doesn't allow Tripods without extortion for a "PERMIT" !! ) !!

5DM3 | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 70-200mm IS f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 | Speedlite 430EX
Cody21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #5
Tony Parenti

Curious as to what HDR picture style mode you used internal to the camera
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #6
Maverique

How many shots can you take with the RAW HDR mode, by the way?
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #7
Akrobatiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody21 View Post
I was going to ask if you used a Tripod for those .. you said you did NOT ... LOVE IT !!! Can't wait. I hope I get mine before I leave for Italy on April 29th !!!!!!!! Must do HDR for the Roman Coliseum (without tripod - Italy doesn't allow Tripods without extortion for a "PERMIT" !! ) !!
The only one taken without a tripod was the 3 shot HDR at 10k ISO... all the others were taken with a tripod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Parenti View Post
Curious as to what HDR picture style mode you used internal to the camera
I used the "Natural" Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverique View Post
How many shots can you take with the RAW HDR mode, by the way?
from the short time I had with it I could only figure out how to do a 3 shot HDR in camera. There was a menu function that allowed you to turn on bracketing up to 7 stops, but it only allowed 3 in the "HDR mode" even after I changed the setting. I need more time with the camera to figure out exactly how to work it. The menu's are elaborate!!!

I still have yet to figure out a way to open the camera raw files. LR4 does not support the RAW codec for the 5D III yet so if anyone finds a way please let me know!! I would really like to see some raw files out of this baby!!

Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #8
Maverique

Alright I had the impression you could do up to 9 but wasn't sure if that was in jpeg only or if you could do it with RAWs so it's less of a PITA.
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #9
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember

wow... thats slick
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz
S.n.a.f.u. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #10
Tony Parenti

Also what did you use for the NR settings when it outputs to JPEG via the RAW files? Does it give you an option for that? Sorry for all the questions
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #11
Akrobatiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Parenti View Post
Also what did you use for the NR settings when it outputs to JPEG via the RAW files? Does it give you an option for that? Sorry for all the questions
I didnt see that function so if there is one it was set to the factory default for these images. There is an Auto Align feature that helps correct for shifts when handholding HDR... I had that set to auto...

Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #12
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop

NR should be at whatever you've set it for for normal JPEGs. Same for vignetting and HTP and all the other gadgets. From what I've read the HDR option is only 3 shots, bracketing does go higher but that's more for you to do your own later... These look MUCH better than the HDRs out of my NEX. I also love the fact that you get the HDR done in camera but you keep the RAWs on the card as well. As a landscaper these is a great option to merge the files in camera basically, so I can see what the 3 raws will look like once I process them myself later.
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #13
shadowman

Most excellent. Thank you for sharing.
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #14
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

That looks great, much better than the in camera HDR sample images Canon posted.
1x
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of March 2012 (Wed)   #15
Akrobatiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
NR should be at whatever you've set it for for normal JPEGs. Same for vignetting and HTP and all the other gadgets. From what I've read the HDR option is only 3 shots, bracketing does go higher but that's more for you to do your own later... These look MUCH better than the HDRs out of my NEX. I also love the fact that you get the HDR done in camera but you keep the RAWs on the card as well. As a landscaper these is a great option to merge the files in camera basically, so I can see what the 3 raws will look like once I process them myself later.
I totally agree!!! If I can figure out how to open these raw files, Il process the same images manually and see what kind of result I can get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Most excellent. Thank you for sharing.
No Problem!!