Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 03:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

(Air Art) "At The Merge"

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Mar 22, 2012 03:58 |  #1

Something a little experimental and kind of off the hook...

IMAGE: http://crosswindimages.com/img/s9/v13/p485046313.jpg

For those who don't know, "The Merge" is when two fighters come in contact for a close in Dogfight.
I guess I'm trying to convey a sense of tunnel vision and 100% focus on the task at hand with the pilot being the only solid constant.
(I actually had the old Memorex ads in my mind where everything is being blown away but the person listening to the music)

Yes? No? What the hell were you thinking? :lol:

All feedback most welcome...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
cdiver2
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Safety Harbor Fl
Mar 22, 2012 05:56 |  #2

Love it, you conveyed what you wanted. I would expect nothing less from you

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Toronto
Mar 22, 2012 07:37 as a reply to cdiver2's post |  #3

Jay,
I appreciate the visual which the photo represents, and the post process is really well done.

That being said, I just don't think that the title for it works in this sense. I almost feel like there should be another plane in the shot...

Cheers, Attila

Attila P.

horse51
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Illinois
Mar 22, 2012 08:18 |  #4

I like it ... its something very different and it reminds me of something "matrix" like ... Watchout Neo Beckman .... hahahahaha

Alan "horse51" Barbor
TFR Media
tfrmedia.comexternal link
"Don't shoot it with a gun, shoot it with a CANON"
Canon 20/2x50D XTI- 17-55 2.8/28-135/500mm 4.0 L/100-400 L/580EXII

TheBigDog
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Sicklerville, NJ, USA
Mar 22, 2012 09:40 |  #5

like it Jay, great effect!

Chris
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Nikon D5 * D810 * 24-70 f/2.8 * Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art * 105mm f/2.8 * 70-200 f/2.8 * 80-400mm * Sigma Sport 150-600mm

PhotosGuy
74,822 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 22, 2012 10:11 |  #6

I like the feeling of motion, but after the "What the hell were you thinking?" crap I got from the day-for-night trucks, I give you props for posting it here? :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Mar 22, 2012 10:17 |  #7

Im gonna go with, What the hell were you thinking??

Cause seriously, thats a great concept and I wanna think it too. thanks for sharing. I like it.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/external link : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotosexternal link : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotosexternal link
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
Mar 22, 2012 14:20 |  #8

What the hell are you thinking? You took a nice image and made it better. Are you insane? :lol:

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

rammsteinmatt
260 posts
Joined Aug 2011
So Cal
Mar 22, 2012 15:36 |  #9

Like it. Maybe the description isnt the greatest (thinking the merge would have two airplanes), but this reminds me of other things where there's complete focus - think a downhill mountain biker that is all over the place, but their head is perfectly still; and Abrams tank going over obstacles, but the barrel is always on target. Same thing here, no matter what the maneuver, speed, turbulence, etc... the driver is completely focused on the mission. IMO, perfectly shown with the F-22. Taking a candid look into USAF operations, the 15 and 16 drivers will ham it up for the photographers. 22 drivers, no such luck - every takeoff, landing, and break is by the book.

Also really like the illustration of the juxtaposition of a harsh outside environment (low temps, high wind speeds) and the relative calm of the cockpit environment. The selective desaturation and otherwise basic coloring is perfectly appropriate

bottom line: really like it

The Shinny
Now with more elements in more groups!
Flickrexternal link

FlyingPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Mar 22, 2012 15:41 |  #10

cdiver2 wrote in post #14131029external link
Love it, you conveyed what you wanted. I would expect nothing less from you

Wow! Thanks very much! No Pressure Here! :D

WingsofFury wrote in post #14131290external link
Jay,
I appreciate the visual which the photo represents, and the post process is really well done.

That being said, I just don't think that the title for it works in this sense. I almost feel like there should be another plane in the shot...

Cheers, Attila

Thanks for taking the time. I'm beginning to see that the title is causing a little disconnect but that's easy to change!

horse51 wrote in post #14131458external link
I like it ... its something very different and it reminds me of something "matrix" like ... Watchout Neo Beckman .... hahahahaha

"Matrix Like" I like that... Thank You!

TheBigDog wrote in post #14131896external link
like it Jay, great effect!

Thanks for the feedback.

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14132060external link
I like the feeling of motion, but after the "What the hell were you thinking?" crap I got from the day-for-night trucks, I give you props for posting it here? :D

Envelopes, you have to push them, right?! :D

peeaanuut wrote in post #14132083external link
Im gonna go with, What the hell were you thinking??

Cause seriously, thats a great concept and I wanna think it too. thanks for sharing. I like it.

Hey, it was late and I was dragging *ss. Maybe sleep deprivation is my muse!

Woolburr wrote in post #14133594external link
What the hell are you thinking? You took a nice image and made it better. Are you insane? :lol:

Probably... Thanks Dan.

rammsteinmatt wrote in post #14134131external link
Like it. Maybe the description isnt the greatest (thinking the merge would have two airplanes), but this reminds me of other things where there's complete focus - think a downhill mountain biker that is all over the place, but their head is perfectly still; and Abrams tank going over obstacles, but the barrel is always on target. Same thing here, no matter what the maneuver, speed, turbulence, etc... the driver is completely focused on the mission. IMO, perfectly shown with the F-22. Taking a candid look into USAF operations, the 15 and 16 drivers will ham it up for the photographers. 22 drivers, no such luck - every takeoff, landing, and break is by the book.

Also really like the illustration of the juxtaposition of a harsh outside environment (low temps, high wind speeds) and the relative calm of the cockpit environment. The selective desaturation and otherwise basic coloring is perfectly appropriate

bottom line: really like it

Stellar Insights! Thanks very, very much!

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Toronto
Mar 22, 2012 16:52 |  #11

rammsteinmatt wrote in post #14134131external link
22 drivers, no such luck - every takeoff, landing, and break is by the book.

Hmmm...I disagree. I can't post the picture to show you, as I wasn't allowed to photograph the Raptors, but the pilots really enjoyed the taxi by us and I must say that I saw some pretty unique hand signs...hehe

Attila

Attila P.

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Scottsbluff, NE USA
Mar 22, 2012 18:53 |  #12

For me, the original concept doesn't work on this one (vice versa), but I did think about the Memorex shot as soon as I saw it. :)

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Orlando
Mar 22, 2012 18:57 |  #13

Your experiment worked, looks really nice.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

rammsteinmatt
260 posts
Joined Aug 2011
So Cal
Mar 22, 2012 19:06 |  #14

WingsofFury wrote in post #14134581external link
Hmmm...I disagree. I can't post the picture to show you, as I wasn't allowed to photograph the Raptors, but the pilots really enjoyed the taxi by us and I must say that I saw some pretty unique hand signs...hehe

Attila

I guess I was referring to the discipline by which they fly (mandated or otherwise). Suggestive hand gestures typically don't risk an airframe, and I would imagine risk mitigation is where the disciplined flying comes from.

You weren't allowed to photograph a F-22? Was this back in the early 90's or something? The restrictions by the Air Force on Raptors are reasonably minimal considering the technology involved.

The Shinny
Now with more elements in more groups!
Flickrexternal link

mhm2526
Joined Oct 2009
Lexington, SC
Mar 22, 2012 21:56 |  #15

Jay, I love the shot, and the processing definitely gives the impression of fighter pilot entering the fight with his "hair on fire." Looks like he's sorting and targeting prior to the merge and going the speed of snot. A very minor nit: I might have cloned out his arm resting on the canopy rail (if I knew how) - might seem a little too relaxed for the scenario. At the merge you're usually *ssholes and elbows, with 6+gs on the jet and eyes out the top of the canopy padlocked on the bandit. How do you come up with this stuff? It's just excellent!

sponsored links

1,594 views & 0 likes for this thread
(Air Art) "At The Merge"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.