Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of March 2012 (Fri)   #1
briancmo

Default Lee vs Hitech Filter Holder - REVIEW

Hi all. Wanted to share my experience with anyone out there looking to pick up one of these filter systems.

A friend and I were able to track down the 4x6 soft grad ND Lee set but had a hard time finding the foundation kit. Yada yada He got the Hitech holder and Hitech adaptor ring, I got the Lee holder and Lee adaptor ring.

THE HOLDER
The Lee holder has a much smoother build quality. It feels more rugged, and holds the Lee filters better. The Lee filters DO fit in the Hitech holder, but not as tight (Hitech filters are .5mm thicker so there's some extra space when using the Lee filters). The Lee filters in the Lee holder felt nice and tight. My biggest complaint about the Hitech holder is the way it screws onto the adaptor ring. The screw that tightens a piece of plastic that expands and contracts felt really flimsy, and wasn't easy to take on and off. Drove my friend crazy. The Lee holder has a nice pull latch that's well built, and easily goes on and off the Lee adaptor ring.

THE ADAPTOR RINGS
In theory a ring is a ring. Since I was using the 16-35mm I got the WA ring which was great. No vignetting. Screwed on easy and felt great. My buddy's Hitech ring was a bit more finicky to lock in place, but it did the job. Again, the Lee just felt better. Also, The Hitech 82mm WA adaptor ring...*drum roll*...DOESN'T FIT ON THE CANON 16-35mmii! WHAT?! Yup. You heard me. Good thing my friend was using the 17-40, and the 77mm ring worked no problem. If I ended up with the Hitech system I would have been in big trouble.

Overall, I'd recommend to anyone looking for a filter holder and ring set to go with the Lee. The Hitech did the job, but being able to feel the two systems side by side really made me happy I got the Lee version...and my friend....less happy

CANON 5D, CANON XTI
24-70L, 430ex,
www.brianmosoff.com
briancmo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of March 2012 (Fri)   #2
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion

Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.
Default Re: Lee vs Hitech Filter Holder - REVIEW

Hmm. The Hitech filters that I had were 1.5 mm thick where the Lee are 2.0 mm thick. I could get the hitech to fit in the Lee holder but not the lee in the Hitech. Perhaps they changed their filter sizes?
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List
rklepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of June 2012 (Fri)   #3
ChristianRonnel

Default Re: Lee vs Hitech Filter Holder - REVIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklepper View Post
Hmm. The Hitech filters that I had were 1.5 mm thick where the Lee are 2.0 mm thick. I could get the hitech to fit in the Lee holder but not the lee in the Hitech. Perhaps they changed their filter sizes?
You are correct. The Lee filter is indeed thicker than Hitech filters.

Hitech makes two kinds of holder. The modular one, which you can customized fit several stacksas you want, and the fixed one, which is made of metal construction and available in different stacking options but not customizable.

I own the Hitech filter holder with a 105mm circular front holder and it works fine for both Lee and Singh-ray filters. It fits the Lee filters tightly, sometimes even too tight if you want smoother adjustments. I'm now looking for a Lee filter holder so that I can customized one of the slots to accommodate a 4mm-thick glass filter.

To comment on the OP statement: I actually prefer the screw-on attachment of the Hitch filters to tighten the holder to the adapter. Lee holder uses a pull lever to attach the holder to the adapter. My friend's Lee holder accidentally fell a few times whenever that lever gets snug on her sweater/jacket sleeves.
ChristianRonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member