Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 13:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what would you do? glass or FF

jerr6
384 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 24, 2012 13:50 |  #1

hello all! im seeking some advice on my next step forward in photography. im thinking about upgrading to a refurbished 5DmkII or getting my first ''L'' lens. my current body is a astromodded T1i (modded by no UV/IR filter on the sensor). since it is modded i have to take custom white balance shots everywhere or correct in post. not the end of the world but still somewhat a pain. my current lenses are 50mm 1.4usm ( which hardly leaves the camera), 28- 135 which i use for portraits, and a sigma 10-20 wide angle. i think the 50 and 28-135 are really great lenses.

i like to do alot of post proc in photoshop. ''trying'' to immitate a calvin hollywood type style. so do you guys think i would notice a big difference from 15mp to 21mp? or if i looked at getting a ''L'' lens i would most likely want something for portraits/studio lighting photos.

im looking at getting the most out of my money. my wife rarely oks a big purchase like this ,especially for a hobby. :D so im torn cause to me its seems i should go either way.

or one last thought, maybe a 60D body and look for a used L lens?

thanks for any advice you can give me. im very excited and cant wait to make my next step forward!!

jeremy

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/astrographer/ (external link)
http://500px.com/jerr6 (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 24, 2012 14:14 |  #2

5d2's are cheap right now, they'll get cheaper as Canon looks to deplete stockpiles or during one of their sales events. L glass is always a good thing to buy. It rarely gets cheaper. i don't think you'd see a big change from 15 to 21 mp's, get the glass and wait until you see the FF body at a price you can't resist.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 24, 2012 16:41 |  #3

rick_reno wrote in post #14145772 (external link)
5d2's are cheap right now, they'll get cheaper as Canon looks to deplete stockpiles or during one of their sales events.

Rick - what is the lowest US price for the 5D2 including sales tax? Lowest grey import price over here converts to $2,125. Canon UK/Europe prices have not yet reduced.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,530 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2012 16:48 as a reply to  @ JohnB57's post |  #4

I'd flog the body, the Sigma and the 28-135 and find a used 5d2 and 24-105. Keep the 50 :)

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

jerr6
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 24, 2012 18:06 |  #5

thanks so far for the advice! Spacemunkie by flog do you mean sell? that is a good idea. i could see selling the sigma and 28-135 towards a L lens.

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 24, 2012 18:33 |  #6

Go for the lenses first.
The price of bodies, no matter how good tends to drop pretty fast. L series lenses on the other hand hold their value. In fact if you buy used L series (in top condition) then there's every chance you'll gain when you come to resell and move on.

I had a thing for L series primes a little while back and although I've changed most of my gear now I certainly didn't lose when I sold them.

cheers

BiLL

CanonCleGuy
680 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 24, 2012 18:43 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Get a 5DII. Sell that 28-135 for $200ish, add around $100 and buy 85 1.8. Sell the Sigma, add some cash(not sure how much that Sigma goes for) and buy 17-40 and you are all set. When finances permit get 70-200 (ranges from $500-$2000, all are wonderful).

This will be a great kit and you will be blown away by the pictures. GL

5D Mark 3 | 7D + BG-E7 | 60D (Wife)
70-200 II L | 50 L | 100mm L | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 2X III | 28-135 (Wife) Wishlist: BG-E11 + 24-70 L, 24-70 II L , 1DX :shock:
600 EX-RT | 430 EX II | Manfrotto tripod + head | Lowepro

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 24, 2012 19:34 |  #8

JohnB57 wrote in post #14146385 (external link)
Rick - what is the lowest US price for the 5D2 including sales tax? Lowest grey import price over here converts to $2,125. Canon UK/Europe prices have not yet reduced.

Sales tax varies quite a bit in the states, it's dependent on the state.

Here's a link to a list of prices

http://www.google.com …Wn8-jwAQ&ved=0CKsBEP0IMAI (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,242 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 24, 2012 19:59 |  #9

An alternative... get a 50D... same sensor as your current camera, but in a much nicer body.

You tell me... which of the following was done with 15MP 50D and which was done with 21MP 5DII?

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2401/5734569759_b596064526_o.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6750992403_5d1f46c6ae_b.jpg
Pigeon Point Lighthouse

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5246/5230107928_60877ce02f_o.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6750992383_6760c19e1e_o.jpg
Morro Bay Harbor

Both shots were made with the same lens and even the same filter. But one was done with 50D crop camera and the other with 5DII full frame. I know it's pretty hard to tell which was which at Internet resolutions, even with some tighter details of each. Heck, I mistakenly thought the 50D image had been shot with the FF camera when I was doing post production work on it, getting it ready to print. You'll have to take my word for it that it's nearly as difficult to tell them apart at 16x20" print size, though at larger than that it will gradually be more apparent.

My point, there's not as much difference between the better crop cameras and FF, as some might want you to believe. You have to print big... really big... before it shows up a great deal. Now, I'll use the 5DII about two stops higher ISO than 50D. And the 5DII will still focus, even if a bit slowly, about 1 EV lower light than any of the crop sensor cameras. Plus it gives me a bit more control over DOF with the lens aperture. There is a little more fine detail straight out of the FF camera, a little wider dynamic range. But good lenses on a crop camera can come darned close. And, on the other hand, for sports/action I'd much rather have the 50D... Using the cameras exactly the same way with the same lenses, the cropper tracks movement better, giving me far fewer missed focus shots.

The 50D has a weaker anti-alias filter that I think allows it to render closer to FF quality, right out of the camera. I can tell the later cameras' 18MP crop images more easily, those cameras all use a much stronger AA filter (stronger sharpening deals with it pretty well, though). If you need video, the 50D doesn't have it, but the 60D does. On the other hand, if you are a pixel peeper and want to be able to Micro Adjust your lenses, the 50D has it, the 60D doesn't. The 60D also doesn't have a PC sync socket for studio strobes, while the 50D does. Of course, if using radio triggers that doesn't matter at all. Both cameras sync speed with a lot of studio strobes is 1/160 (some studio strobes allow a little faster... and portable flash sync is 1/250, a little higher than your camera... they also have 1/8000 shutter speed, and a shutter rated to 100,000 clicks, compared to 75,000 in your T1i). And, the 60D has that cool articulated viewfinder. By comparison, 5DII offers 1/8000 shutter, but 1/200 portable flash sync, 1/125 with many studio strobes. It does have a PC sync socket, but doesn't have a built-in flash (if that matters at all). The 5DII has a 150,000 click rated shutter, better than either of the croppers and double the durability rating of your current camera. It also has Micro Adjust... And can shoot HD video. No articulated LCD monitor, though. All three have Live View, Mirror Lockup and most of the other features. All three use 9-point AF systems.... The 50D and 60D are more of a step up from your camera's, while the 5DII's is more similar.... I.e., single cross type at the center, though the FF camera is unique having six add'l and optional "assist" points right around the center AF point, though they only work in AI Servo mode. The 50D and 60D AF seems identical, and all 9 points are cross-type. 50D, 60D and 5DII all use the same processor, Digic 4. The 60D has a newer, 63 zone metering system (same as 7D), but it isn't hugely different from the 35 zone system on the earlier cameras.

Frankly, I also don't feel there's a whole lot to be gained going from 28-135 to 24-105L, other than 4X or 5X as much money tied up in the lens. IQ isn't all that different at the focal lengths they share. All the way out at 135mm, the 28-135 is just a little soft.... and it's a slower f5.6. And there's 2 more mm at the other end, which isn't insignificant. But the 24-105 tends to have stronger vignetting at the wide end, more noticeable on FF cameras than on croppers. The biggest difference between them is probably better IS on the L, as well as better sealing, better build and greater durability. But, buying them used, if needed I could replace 4 worn out 28-135s for what it costs for one 24-105, which I'm not sure would last 4X as long. I've used three different 28-135s over the years and haven't worn one out yet personally, though I have heard/read reports of them getting a bit loose and floppy after extensive use. The 28-135 does tend to have "zoom creep" more often, but it occasionally happens with the 24-105 too.

I don't know what other lenses you might be interested in. There are literally dozens of possibilities. All three of your current lenses can be used and will perform the same way on 50D or 60D, but would behave quite differently on a FF camera.

Don't get me wrong, 5DII is a good camera and I happily use one. I just think there's a lot of hype about "full frame goodness". It would likely serve your needs well, as you've described them. My intent is to try to be unbiased about the comparison, though. After all, the FF camera is going to cost you about double, and you'll very likely have to spend some more on lenses, too.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - EXPOSUREMANAGER (external link)

jerr6
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 24, 2012 20:10 |  #10

thank you Alan for your input. very useful. if i had to guess i would say the lighthouse pics are with 5D.

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 24, 2012 20:25 |  #11

Depends on what you need. If the AF system on the 5DII handle all your needs, get the that and the L lens. You will be happy. If you need a mix between the 7D and the 5Dmkii then the 5Diii might be the ride your looking for.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,530 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2012 20:55 as a reply to  @ crimsonblack's post |  #12

Sorry - flog = sell :D

Looking at your Flickr stream, I really would go 5D2. Some swear they see very little difference between crop and FF. My eyes and experience tell me something different. I found all my FF cameras to render colour more naturally, control noise at all ISOs better, deliver more fine detail and give me heaps of natural vignetting (which I love) with fast lenses shot at wide apertures. FF images always seem to require less processing - particularly against the current round of crop cameras.

Only reason I suggested a 24-105 is that it's the obvious choice for a do-it-all lens on FF until you can afford more glass.

It all boils down to what you photograph and the type of lenses you want to use. Primes on FF = win for me :)

You could always try FF with a cheap used 5D or 1Ds. I see original 1Ds bodies going for peanuts. They're awesome cameras at low ISO. I still prefer images from my old 1Ds to those from my 1Ds3. Super-sharp and wonderful colours. Clunky to use, but superb results :)

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

jerr6
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 24, 2012 21:10 |  #13

i was thinking about a refurbished 5D from canon. the price is $1760.00 befor tax. looking at the classified section it seems like a reasonable price. which leads to another question. is there a way to find shutter count on a refurb camera or should i just assume its going to be low cause it was rebuilt or something?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,655 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2012 21:57 |  #14

Spacemunkie wrote in post #14146409 (external link)
I'd flog the body, the Sigma and the 28-135 and find a used 5d2 and 24-105. Keep the 50 :)

This

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

1,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
what would you do? glass or FF
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.