Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of March 2012 (Sat)   #1
Chopper Al

Default CHDK on SX40 HS

Hi,

Has anyone here tried using CHDK on the SX40 HS camera yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I am really interested in the RAW functionality.

Thanks...
Al

Al
Canon 60D - 50mm 1:8 IS - 18-55mm IS - 18-135mm IS Canon S1IS - Canon 420EX Flash
Chopper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #2
Vertical

Default Re: CHDK on SX40 HS

I've got it running on mine, but haven't toyed with it at all. It's my first time using it, and I feel like I need to get a better understanding of what it can do before I start messing with it.

I'd be interested to learn what some common uses are for it for the SX40
Vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #3
Chopper Al

I used to have an S3IS with CHDK running on it. The most important thing it gave me (as well as for the SX40) is being able to shoot in raw. Since I have been getting into HDR lately, I am hoping it will expand the exposure bracketing more than 3 shots at a time.

Al

Al
Canon 60D - 50mm 1:8 IS - 18-55mm IS - 18-135mm IS Canon S1IS - Canon 420EX Flash
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #4
exwintech

Chopper Al - To get more than 3 images for HDR, the SX40 should do the same as the SX10. That is - when the Exposure Compensation button is pressed, the bar should stay on EVF / LCD as shots are taken.

This seems to work best if you set Custom Timer to about 5-seconds - or you could use the set 10-seconds, which seems not to improve results.

Put the camera on a solid tripod - set up so the tripod itself won't move. Find the shot you want, and lock the tripod head firmly in that position. Use Aperture Priority - you want the shutter-speed to control the exposure. If the aperture changes - so will depth of field - and the images won't line-up properly in the HDR program.

Preset the Timer at 5 (10) seconds. Get the exposure 'correct' at the centre-point on the Exposure Compensation bar, but don't take that shot. Re-set the bar indicator at the Left end of the bar. You'll see from the bar markings how to separate the number of shots you want, evenly.

See Page 78 in the SX40 Manual. You could easily get 5 images, using -2EV -1EV 0EV +1EV +2EV - or have less difference between them by spacing closer. You can also shift the Centre shot to, say -1/3EV - but then your 5 shots, to be even, will be a max of 2/3EV apart.

By using 5-second Timer, and handling the Exposure change and shutter-press very gently - that allows any tiny movement or vibe caused to let the camera "get back to" where it was when it fired the previous shot.

With the SX10 - doing 7 images isn't noticeably better than 5 - however, as the SX40 has a different - BSI-CMOS - sensor - 7 might at least be worth a few tries. You'll soon see if it does make a "usable" difference.

Use an HDR program that has a good image-stack alignment function.

If you don't already have such a program, Qtpfsgui for Linux has been ported to Windows as the free program "Luminance". The Windows version now has a new release with fixes, and full TIFF capability. There are downloads for both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit at:

http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

http://osp.wikidot.com/qtpfsgui-manual (User Guide.)

While as far as I know, Sourceforge itself is a clean site, if downloading an executable into Windows, an AV check before using is advisable.

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech : 29th of March 2012 (Thu) at 03:24.
exwintech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2012 (Tue)   #5
Chopper Al

Thanks for all the info Dave. I will definitely look into it. For HDR software, I have Photomatix 3 and Machinery Effects (unpaid version so far). I've done some HDR in the past when I had my 40D. It was pretty easy to use by pressing the shutter half-way and adjusting the exposure settings. If I can do it through the custom timer on the SX40, great!

Got my SX40 today and quickly got CHDK running on it and can now shoot RAW in DNG format. YAY! Machinery Effects can work with DNG directly, so another YAY! Haven't seen a setting yet for increasing the number of images when doing EV for HDR, so the custom timer is a good thing for me.

Al
Al

Al
Old 31st of March 2012 (Sat)   #6
de8212

I've read about chdk but I thought it was still beta on the sx40 so I haven't tried to use it. IS it final yet or do we know when it will be?

And is there a good guide on how to use the chdk (what all the options do)?
de8212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of March 2012 (Sat)   #7
Chopper Al

It is still beta, but no idea when a production release will be available.

Al

Al
Old 1st of April 2012 (Sun)   #8
wayne.robbins
Goldmember

I use it on mine for DNG support and for SuperFine ( for jpegs.. ).
I tried the raw- could not get it to open- so I switched to DNG...

Interface- It's a bit odd starting up- either pressing the Power or Play buttons- and then the button for the menu for CHDK.. So, it does make it harder to hand to someone and let them shoot.. If I hand it to someone else, I either make sure it is ready for them, or I pull the card and switch the write protect switch - thus disabling it.
EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...
wayne.robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #9
photocopy

I was reading the download instructions and still wondering if this is put on a memory card do you just use to card when you turn on your camera?? then put another memory card in for your photos or are you putting the photos on the camera and having to upload them via usb?
photocopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #10
Chopper Al

Hi photocopy,

Following all the instructions, you end up with all the CHDK files on your card and the write protect enabled. Even though the write protect is enabled, CHDK allows the camera to bypass it and will write your pictures and movies to the same card.

I believe when you open the battery door to gain access to the card, the camera will turn itself off. Putting a new card in (without CHDK) will cause the camera to be in normal mode when you turn it on again.

Al

Al
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #11
Vertical

I'm also not sure how to get this working on my SX40. I have it on my SD card and I can do the 'updated firmware' business by launching it in the picture-reviewing mode, but then I can't get it into record mode and still have it on? I'd rather not make this a bootable SD, so are there instructions on what to do after I 'update' the firmware to getting it into record mode with CHDK still active?
Vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #12
Meanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
I'm also not sure how to get this working on my SX40. I have it on my SD card and I can do the 'updated firmware' business by launching it in the picture-reviewing mode, but then I can't get it into record mode and still have it on? I'd rather not make this a bootable SD, so are there instructions on what to do after I 'update' the firmware to getting it into record mode with CHDK still active?
I use CHDX very successfully on my SX20 for the past 2 weeks. I have just 2 4Gb SD cards formatted with it. I had a lot of trouble understanding the instructions for preparing the cards etc., but that can probably be attributed to (1) attempting late at night (2) Old Age hahaha although computer savvy. The SX20 was released in 2009 and hence it has only one option as to how to get CHDX into the camera's brain.

@Vertical ... When you start in PLAY mode it loads CHDX into memory. As with normal camera operation, just half pressing shutter button switches into record mode. (With any camera, you can plunge straight into record mode .... instantly escape from any function, menu/viewing etc., by pressing shutter button half way).
The RECORD button is the SHUTTER button NOT the Video Record .... which is confusing in CHDX's instructions..

Go for it!!!
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS | DSLR300 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"
Meanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #13
Meanderer

Just a little help, advice and info to help anyone considering / wondering about CHDX ....

It Definitely is worth the effort to using.
You are NOT installing it into the camera!!!!! You are temporarily "adding" extra information to the brain (processor) of the Canon camera and using what Canon choose NOT to make available in the lower range of cameras for commercial reasons.
I am using Raw All the time now and I save as DNG files which virtually all Post Production and viewing software can use. Photoshop, Picasa etc, etc. (Not Windows Picture Viewer though).

Yesterday, I received a pair of Yongnuo Wireless Flash Triggers / Synchronised Shutter Release Remote Control Transceivers from eBay for a mere $30 !!!!!! These are good for up to 100M in the open (claimed but I haven't tested distance yet). One unit can remotely control any number of flashes / studio lights as well as fire the camera. CHDX isn't required for the Flash activity but it IS necessary for the Remote Shutter Release, because that function requires a cord between remote mounted to camera and the camera socket. SX20 (and most if not all Point & Shoots) don't have that facility. However, with CHDX, the cameras USB port is used for this communication!!! Obtaining a separate adapter lead to connect the YongNuo cable to the mini USB port. I'm waiting on one which I purchased via Deals Extreme here in Canada for just $5 Incl Postage.

There are so many things that can be achieved using CHDX. extreme high shutter speeds, (may require specially fast lights for some of the speeds quoted), extending long exposures beyond the standard 15 secs up to 67 secs; Increased Bracketing features. Scripts can be written / obtained from the CHDX site for various things. One of which I'm interested in is .... High Speed Motion Detection Activation ... (This can be used in Nature and Security. I think it is also used for capturing lightning strikes).

Most want CHDX it for the Raw capability, but I want it for the many various improved capabilities it affords. I can't wait to try the Remote Shutter release and Time Lapse with these new triggers I have. Just have to wait for the patch lead. Unfortunately, I only have ONE more Mail (Monday) before I leave Canada and return to Australia for 6 months.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS | DSLR300 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"
Meanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #14
imjason

like others said, its worth figuring out just for the RAW. if you havnt tried RAW, try it! The raw from CHDK is also a DNG aka adobes open source raw. What that means is that more than one company supports DNG files, youre not locked into a proprietary format.

Day 103: I shoot RAW by JFChanPhoto, on Flickr
imjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #15
photocopy

someone wanna download on a card for me?? sure would love some help on that.... if ya gotta fee i can pay PP...
photocopy is offline   Reply With Quote