Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of March 2012 (Sun)   #1
KCMO Reefer

Default What would you do given this opportunity?

We are just getting started in the Senior Portrait market. I've done mostly sports but have done some senior work that has been very well received and we're offering custom framing as well. We also do some custom photo work for the local high school.

Our bank contacted us about featuring us as their "Business of the Week". They have a easel that we could put something on and we might be able to put up something on the wall. Need to find out a bit more but I went ahead and agreed to do this.

I thought I would create a custom poster featuring some of our senior shots and some text about what we do and dry mount it to some foam core to place on the easel. I also thought we could have a drawing for a free studio session and a $100 print credit.

I could put out business cards but not sure what the best method is to do so. The bank is inside a busy grocery store so there will be quite a bit of traffic walking by our display. It would be nice to have a trade show type setup but there isn;t that kind of room to work with?

Anyone have some creative ideas to share or thoughts on what you would do if you were given this opportunity for some free exposure?
Old 25th of March 2012 (Sun)   #2
jra
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: What would you do given this opportunity?

Sounds like a great opportunity! If they would allow it, maybe spend a few hours there during the busiest times to personally hand out cards, answer any questions and possibly book some sessions (maybe offer a small discount or incentive to those willing to book you at that time).
Old 25th of March 2012 (Sun)   #3
Dan Marchant
Goldmember

Sorry no creative suggestions but will just flag a potential legal issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO Reefer View Post
I thought I would create a custom poster featuring some of our senior shots and some text about what we do and dry mount it to some foam core to place on the easel.
I am going to guess from your use of the term "seniors" that you are in the USA. If that is the case you need to make sure you have signed model releases for any of the senior photos you use. Even if you own the copyright to an image you can't use it for advertising your business without the consent of the person in the image.
Gear Canon 5DIII + lenses + plastic widget I found in the camera box.
Dan Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #4
KCMO Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity! If they would allow it, maybe spend a few hours there during the busiest times to personally hand out cards, answer any questions and possibly book some sessions (maybe offer a small discount or incentive to those willing to book you at that time).
Great idea! I don't see any reason why we couldn't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marchant View Post
Sorry no creative suggestions but will just flag a potential legal issue

I am going to guess from your use of the term "seniors" that you are in the USA. If that is the case you need to make sure you have signed model releases for any of the senior photos you use. Even if you own the copyright to an image you can't use it for advertising your business without the consent of the person in the image.
All of our clients sign a form stating they agree to their photos being used for marketing purposes. Thanks for the input.
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #5
tomj

Instead of business cards you might want to consider a small pad, say 4x4", with your contact info and/or a form for your drawing, attached to the poster.
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #6
PhotosGuy

Quote:
I thought I would create a custom poster featuring some of our senior shots
Good idea, but if there's room, I'd have my biggest framed image there, too.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #7
KCMO Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj View Post
Instead of business cards you might want to consider a small pad, say 4x4", with your contact info and/or a form for your drawing, attached to the poster.
Definitely need a form for the drawing. Maybe do a perforated form that they tear off the entry and can hang onto contact info? Wondering if a piece of paper is more easily wadded up and thrown away versus a business card (we actually have some really nice ones too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
Good idea, but if there's room, I'd have my biggest framed image there, too.
We have an awesome, framed 28x38 black and white of our senior rep but wondering if B&W is the way to go with that? Probably need to show a really nice colorful print to show what they shopudol expect I'm guessing.
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #8
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO Reefer View Post
We have an awesome, framed 28x38 black and white of our senior rep but wondering if B&W is the way to go with that? Probably need to show a really nice colorful print to show what they shopudol expect I'm guessing.
What do you sell the most of?

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #9
tim
Light Bringer

Color would pop better. A collage would make the images very small. A $100 print credit isn't really a prize, its one or two prints and a way to lure people in the door, give away a proper prize or don't bother.
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #10
S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds

See if you can talk to the grocery manager to find out what demographic is in the store on the day and time you will be there.

They definitely know.

For example, they know whether or not that is basically old person shopping alone day, in which case they may be giving a gift to a grandchild.

It could make a difference to your pitch.

In a grocery store, I'm avoiding all potential wastes of my time, and that includes the free sample people, and some guy with an easel too.

That said, I think you need a hook. Something to get a conversation started.

How about Sauce for your Senior. Buy about 50 jars of spaghetti sauce, give it away for free to anyone who has a senior in high school. That will cost you about $100.

Hawk it, or I won't know what you're doing, which means you have go be taking to people as they go by. Tell them they can have a free jar if they have a senior in high school and all you ask is that they remember you do senior photos as you hand them a jar which, just so happens, has your brochure taped to it. (Get a 4x4 sadle stitch done, rubber cement it to the side)

When they check out, they'll have to remember you to avoid paying for it.

When they get home, they'll have go remember you when they pull your brochure off the sauce.

I made all that up, and I have no evidence that it would work, but I think making them handle it three times and the first time you smiled and talked to them might get you something.

As for drawings, that would require me to not only encounter you, but I'd have to stop and fill something out knowing that you're likely to call me at home. Won't happen.

I think if I wanted someone to be in a drawing, it would have to be substantial like n iPad drawing entry only if you sign a contract on the spot. Long shot.

Last edited by S.Horton : 26th of March 2012 (Mon) at 22:04.
S.Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of March 2012 (Mon)   #11
S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds

.....or, shirt for your senior, and that's a T with your ad on it. Could pitch it as replacing the shirt you lost saving for college. Basically, something which gets attention. I've noticed that a tripod with a flash bracket and body with a big L gets attention. Might be a prop next to your easel over the free stuff you give away.

Last edited by S.Horton : 26th of March 2012 (Mon) at 21:59.
S.Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2012 (Tue)   #12
KCMO Reefer

Thanks for the additional replies and ideas. To clarify, the easel will be up at the front of the bank so passers by will see it as they checkoput primarily since the bank is at the front of the store. It will be there all week. I need to have further discussion with both the bank and the grocery store (I know the manager) as to what we can and can't do, how much room we'll actually have to display things, etc...

The last business of the week I saw featured was a pet grooming business. They had a drawing for a basket of grooming supplies, etc.. and the bowl for entries was pretty full. I was thinking that if they received the studio session ($79) and a $100 print credit, the value is almost $200. Maybe it's not enough to get some people to fill out an entry form but for some it will be. Since we're targeting high school seniors, the response will be less than a general photography offering or a drawing for something most everyone could use I'm sure. We also do youth and prep sports photography so maybe we could include doa choice of the senior package or a sports related package of some sort.

I'm getting quotes on t-shirts with our logo on them right now. I doubt offering a t-shirt to book that day would be much of an incentive but you never know. I wouldn't want to just randomly hand them out, I would need to target who gets one as to best benefit my business.

Either way, we'll get some exposure out of it but I'd definitely like to maximize it. A lot of our high school students are employees of the store and the high school is only two miles away from the store as well.