Epson 3880 black ink clogging...

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 08:13   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Stuart ­ Leslie
Joined Sep 2008
611 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't know if anyone else has run into this but thought posting may benefit someone in the future.

About a month ago I switched from matte to gloss black (after about 2 months of printing only matte), I noticed that the black was not printing on the image at all. I went through 4 cleaning cycles and finally it cleared up so all was good- but it used a lot of ink.

Yesterday, I switched back to matte black and same thing happened. After 3 cleaning cycles, I was only seeing sporadic black squares on the printhead test print and it wasn't improving. It occurred to me that maybe something was getting stuck in the ink tank vs. in the lines. I took out the matte black cartridge and gave it a shake. The test print came out perfectly this time.

So, I will probably just give the black cartridges a quick shake before switching now going forward. Hopefully will save me a lot of ink! Also, if you use ink faster than me this may not be a problem for you. Both of my black inks have been in the printer for almost a year now.

Post #1, Apr 01, 2012 08:13:59

Gear: Canon 5D III, 5D and 7D | 300 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 85 f/1.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 [COLOR=navy]| 24-105 f/4L | 10-22 | Zeiss 35 f/2 | TS-E 24II | Alienbees
SmugMug Galleryexternal link
Model Mayhemexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,499 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

A bit of insight into print head clogging in Epsons. http://www.inkjetrevie​w.ca ...clogged_epson_nozzl​es.htmexternal link

Post #2, Apr 01, 2012 10:52:59

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,499 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is a comment similar to your experiences, in a thread about Epson clogging http://forums.cnet.com ...s/?tag=contentMain;​posts:external link

"I'm glad to know that other Epson printer owners have the same problem. I have a CX4600 and have clogged heads virtually everytime I print which may be because I dont use it very often. But even after fitting new carts, I couldnt believe they cloged again, I've done loads of head cleaning cycles but they dont work, in fact it ruined the printer by dumping loads of black ink behind the small cover on the back.
" Eventually I just tried brute force, actually I take out each cartridge and shake them vigorously/tap them several times on a hard surface. That solved the problem for me, simple and effective, plus this way you can take out your frustation on them!
Sorry for late post, I only read this forum today."

Post #3, Apr 01, 2012 11:07:47

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

ralff
Joined May 2008
749 posts
Asheville NC
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know if what I am doing helps, but have had no problems. I have my printers on an open shelving unit mounted on large rubber wheels, and whenever either of the printers are in operation the cart "shakes" on the wheels and the printers with it. I started storing my ink bottles, that need to be shaken occasionally, on the cart and I can see the ink in them sloshing side to side. Long story, short, they motion of the cart makes the inks slosh around in the bottles and carts! Also control humidity levels in the room where I print.

Post #4, Apr 01, 2012 19:59:07 as a reply to Wilt's post 8 hours earlier.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralphexternal link

Wilt
Joined Aug 2005
33,499 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Judging by multiple threads on the topic of Epson clogging, things which really screw up the heads is

• too many cleaning cycles in quick succession
  • use of the printer at less than daily frequency

Post #5, Apr 01, 2012 20:16:45

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
Joined Apr 2006
8,424 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #14190723external link
A bit of insight into print head clogging in Epsons. http://www.inkjetrevie​w.ca ...clogged_epson_nozzl​es.htmexternal link

Thanks for the link. Useful article. Saved for future reference.

To the OP:

I don't have much of a problem on my 3800. I don't know if the 3880 has the auto-clean function where the printer prints and reads its own nozzle pattern, but I always use that. Perhaps the auto cycle cleans differently and helps preserve things better between sessions, but like I said, most of the time I have no clogs, and when clogged, it rarely needs to repeat the nozzle print pattern more than once.

Post #6, Apr 02, 2012 10:07:55

---------------
Fine Art Photographyexternal link | Painted Photosexternal link | Websiteexternal link | Blogexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Pinterestexternal link
---------------

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

IMO, the newer Epson printers (I have an R2880) don't clog nearly as often as older models. I have experience with an Epson R2100 and a Canon iP4000: Both clogged more.

I don't print that often, yet even after a month of no use I rarely have to clean the heads (printer is left on though, so it probably periodically runs a maintenance)

On the "shaking": That's mentioned in the install instructions by Epson: "Shake cartridge 4 or 5 times before opening"…

Post #7, Apr 02, 2012 10:09:44

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Stuart ­ Leslie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
611 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, I have not really experienced clogging in general even with sometimes not using the printer for a couple weeks. It really only became an issue with the matte and gloss inks since one of those can sit around for a month or two without use which seems to be the problem. I am actually pretty impressed with how they have improved on the whole nozzle clogging thing. My old printers would require cleaning many of the nozzles regularly but this 3880 is always ready to print no matter how long I wait it seems.

Post #8, Apr 02, 2012 10:43:36 as a reply to René Damkot's post 33 minutes earlier.

Gear: Canon 5D III, 5D and 7D | 300 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 85 f/1.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 [COLOR=navy]| 24-105 f/4L | 10-22 | Zeiss 35 f/2 | TS-E 24II | Alienbees
SmugMug Galleryexternal link
Model Mayhemexternal link

JackLiu
Joined Apr 2009
570 posts
Ventura County, Calif., USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #14190723external link

Thoroughly read the article. Very informative and instructive. Had an Epson 960 that frequently got clogged. At that time I purchased OEM cartridges and couldn't figure out why it did not erradicate clogs. Per the article, I now know the possible cause and actions to take.

Post #9, Apr 02, 2012 12:00:11

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

woos
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,177 posts
a giant bucket
[MORE/SHARE]

The newer epsons aren't quite as bad, but they still clog pretty awful. Have not seen the very latest ones (7900/9900)..the 7880's still clog a lot, at least during heavy daily use for some of our clients.

One thing that can sometimes rescue a seemingly hopelessly clogged printhead is to take a paper towel, soak it in windex (don't use the non-ammonia windex just the regular stuff), move the printhead away from the suction/cleaning area where it rests, set the paper towel there, then gently (with printer off) move it back and rest it on the paper towel. Let it sit for a good amount of time (an hour or so) then try some prints and see if the clogs clear up, heh. Obviously a last resort, prior to replacing the printhead or printer.

The new Canon poster printers (6300, etc) and the 9500 mark 1 / mark 2 are a dream and just don't have the same clogging issues that the epsons do. The epson 7900/9900 and the newest 13x19 ones may be much better though, I don't know.

Post #10, Apr 02, 2012 13:42:47

amanathia.zenfolio.com

hal55
Joined Apr 2007
194 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Our Epson 9890 clogs a lot, usually after being idle for a whle. It's usuually better with steady work, whereupon it behaves itself beautifully. Any ideas whether humidity makes clogging worse?

Hal55

Post #11, Apr 02, 2012 17:37:48 as a reply to woos's post 3 hours earlier.

sponsored links
ralff
Joined May 2008
749 posts
Asheville NC
[MORE/SHARE]

I have read that low humidity can lead to clogs, I use a humidifier in the winter and a de-humidifier in the summer to keep the levels between 40-50% relative year round. Also keeps my papers laying flatter.

Post #12, Apr 03, 2012 09:15:02 as a reply to hal55's post 15 hours earlier.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralphexternal link

woos
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,177 posts
a giant bucket
[MORE/SHARE]

ralff wrote in post #14202120external link
I have read that low humidity can lead to clogs, I use a humidifier in the winter and a de-humidifier in the summer to keep the levels between 40-50% relative year round. Also keeps my papers laying flatter.

Humidity can totally cause problems. If you have super low humidity, those little cigar humidifier package thingies can be bought pretty cheap and stuck inside the printer (inkjet, epson, clogging).....or for a wetlab (fuji frontier and such), inside the paper magazine (exactly for the reason you stated, paper curling!)

Edit: Usually anything above 10-15% ish is fine, it's gotta be pretty dry to cause issues.

Post #13, Apr 03, 2012 13:27:25

amanathia.zenfolio.com

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
Epson 3880 black ink clogging...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES