Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Transportation Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of April 2012 (Fri)   #16
Perfectly Frank

Default Re: Planes of Fame Airshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
This will be only my 2nd time at Chino's PoF Airshow. For those in the know, Chino has 2 runways going E/W, and 1 intersecting runway going NE/SW. Last year, I got to the front a little late and I was closer to the west side, instead of parking myself at the "V".

In case some of you have shot at Chino's PoF Airshow multiple years, where have you found to be the best location/position to be in? (If you don't mind sharing.) I'm thinking about parking myself at the "V" this year, since if memory serves me right, a lot of the planes take that corner as they swoop by.
Thanks for sharing. Save a spot for me, will ya?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #17
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
This will be only my 2nd time at Chino's PoF Airshow. For those in the know, Chino has 2 runways going E/W, and 1 intersecting runway going NE/SW. Last year, I got to the front a little late and I was closer to the west side, instead of parking myself at the "V".

In case some of you have shot at Chino's PoF Airshow multiple years, where have you found to be the best location/position to be in? (If you don't mind sharing.) I'm thinking about parking myself at the "V" this year, since if memory serves me right, a lot of the planes take that corner as they swoop by.
Depending on the focal length you're using, I'd consider spending one day back at the base of the tower facing the "V"

There are times when being right up on the fence can actually be too close. I found this to be especially true for The Horsemen. Impossible to get all three Mustangs in the frame @ 500mm when they pass the crowd line. Backing off a ways would have been smart. Obviously, timing plays a part but I wanted more than small(er) planes with more sky.

70-200, 100-400 (or 300 f/2.8) and the 500 on three bodies would be the perfect three-headed monster for Chino.
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #18
meeko031
Goldmember

...nice to see that show is still alive, i learned how to fly at that airport 12 years ago !
Old 28th of April 2012 (Sat)   #19
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
Depending on the focal length you're using, I'd consider spending one day back at the base of the tower facing the "V"

There are times when being right up on the fence can actually be too close. I found this to be especially true for The Horsemen. Impossible to get all three Mustangs in the frame @ 500mm when they pass the crowd line. Backing off a ways would have been smart. Obviously, timing plays a part but I wanted more than small(er) planes with more sky.

70-200, 100-400 (or 300 f/2.8) and the 500 on three bodies would be the perfect three-headed monster for Chino.
Thanks Jay. I'll have the 100-400 on the 7d and the 70-200 on the 5dc. No 3rd body to shoot with yet. I didn't feel like I was too close at chino last year while standing in the front. However, I felt I wasn't in an ideal spot. I think I was too far west and missed a lot of the banks.

Not sure why I feel the need to stand in front. Not like I shoot the planes on the tarmac much. I guess it limits the number of people in front of you but kids always squeeze in anyway. And the crowd always pack in making it difficult to pan.

Yeah ... I should try somewhere other than the front this time.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2012 (Sun)   #20
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

If your going to wander, I'd migrate from west to east along the back of the crowd.

Get the right to left stuff in the morning light and right to left in the afternoon.

Some day, I want someone to explain why the hell PoF insists on holding their media day nearly two weeks in advance of the airshow. I'd apply but I can't afford two separate trips to SoCal + associated costs of gas and hotel.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #21
seaninsa

Well it never fails...April was nice and now it is May and we have May Gloom argh.
seaninsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #22
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Well, if you can trust Yahoo's weather forecast... it's suppose to be sunny and 80s this weekend.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #23
seaninsa

LOL yeah I see that..I live here and yesterday and this morning the am has had drizzle. I do hope it is nice. Sometimes I wish they would move this show to April.
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #24
Desertrat

All the Volunteers did the good weather dance last Saturday,Hope it works better than last year,although after the rain quit on Sunday the clouds made some nice backgrounds. I will be working the Sunrise Photo again this year hope to see some POTN people there. BTW take a look at the POF Facebook there are some nice shots of the three Zeros getting ready for the show.
Desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #25
seaninsa

Hey Desert Rat get out of here this is Canon forum not a Nikon lol.
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #26
Desertrat

NIKON?? I ain't got no stinking Nikons....Ha Ha
Desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #27
FotoPilot

Looking forward to this. Should be flying down with a friend in a Mooney (provided weather is good enroute), and possibly in formation with an RV6, arriving by 1000 on Saturday. Nothing spectacular, but a 2 hour flight beats a 6 hour drive from NORCAL.
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #28
waterboiler

Weather looks good. Friday was an official preview day.
Tram and an open food vendor.
Compared to past years almost a crowd - at least 500 people.
Much more formal less of a 'group' feel for photogs.
waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #29
FotoPilot

Great airshow! Just returned to NorCal from there and in the process of downloading my pics. Lots of big white lenses on the fenceline - ya think. Decided to go with the 2x on the 70-200 instead of renting. Maybe this was a good idea, maybe not. Will see after download completed.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #30
seaninsa

Well yes the show is now over. Saturday's was by far the best day. On Sunday, the FW190 had to RTB due to mechanical. They also did not fly the formations on Sunday with the P38 and P51.