Thread started 03 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 12:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,924 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #14336727external link
This will be only my 2nd time at Chino's PoF Airshow. For those in the know, Chino has 2 runways going E/W, and 1 intersecting runway going NE/SW. Last year, I got to the front a little late and I was closer to the west side, instead of parking myself at the "V".

In case some of you have shot at Chino's PoF Airshow multiple years, where have you found to be the best location/position to be in? (If you don't mind sharing.) I'm thinking about parking myself at the "V" this year, since if memory serves me right, a lot of the planes take that corner as they swoop by.

Thanks for sharing. Save a spot for me, will ya? ;)

Post #16, Apr 27, 2012 19:50:15

flickrexternal link
smugmugexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

jwcdds wrote in post #14336727external link
This will be only my 2nd time at Chino's PoF Airshow. For those in the know, Chino has 2 runways going E/W, and 1 intersecting runway going NE/SW. Last year, I got to the front a little late and I was closer to the west side, instead of parking myself at the "V".

In case some of you have shot at Chino's PoF Airshow multiple years, where have you found to be the best location/position to be in? (If you don't mind sharing.) I'm thinking about parking myself at the "V" this year, since if memory serves me right, a lot of the planes take that corner as they swoop by.

Depending on the focal length you're using, I'd consider spending one day back at the base of the tower facing the "V"

There are times when being right up on the fence can actually be too close. I found this to be especially true for The Horsemen. Impossible to get all three Mustangs in the frame @ 500mm when they pass the crowd line. Backing off a ways would have been smart. Obviously, timing plays a part but I wanted more than small(er) planes with more sky.

70-200, 100-400 (or 300 f/2.8) and the 500 on three bodies would be the perfect three-headed monster for Chino.

Post #17, Apr 28, 2012 22:25:21

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

meeko031
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
3,207 posts
newYORK
[MORE/SHARE]

...nice to see that show is still alive, i learned how to fly at that airport 12 years ago !

Post #18, Apr 28, 2012 22:34:45 as a reply to FlyingPhotog's post 9 minutes earlier.

visualdesignform.comexternal link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,174 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14345916external link
Depending on the focal length you're using, I'd consider spending one day back at the base of the tower facing the "V"

There are times when being right up on the fence can actually be too close. I found this to be especially true for The Horsemen. Impossible to get all three Mustangs in the frame @ 500mm when they pass the crowd line. Backing off a ways would have been smart. Obviously, timing plays a part but I wanted more than small(er) planes with more sky.

70-200, 100-400 (or 300 f/2.8) and the 500 on three bodies would be the perfect three-headed monster for Chino.

Thanks Jay. I'll have the 100-400 on the 7d and the 70-200 on the 5dc. No 3rd body to shoot with yet. I didn't feel like I was too close at chino last year while standing in the front. However, I felt I wasn't in an ideal spot. I think I was too far west and missed a lot of the banks.

Not sure why I feel the need to stand in front. Not like I shoot the planes on the tarmac much. :lol: I guess it limits the number of people in front of you but kids always squeeze in anyway. And the crowd always pack in making it difficult to pan.

Yeah ... I should try somewhere other than the front this time.

Post #19, Apr 28, 2012 23:45:55

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

If your going to wander, I'd migrate from west to east along the back of the crowd.

Get the right to left stuff in the morning light and right to left in the afternoon.

Some day, I want someone to explain why the hell PoF insists on holding their media day nearly two weeks in advance of the airshow. I'd apply but I can't afford two separate trips to SoCal + associated costs of gas and hotel.

Post #20, Apr 29, 2012 04:58:11

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
seaninsa
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
1,230 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well it never fails...April was nice and now it is May and we have May Gloom argh.

Post #21, May 02, 2012 11:30:19

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,174 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, if you can trust Yahoo's weather forecast... it's suppose to be sunny and 80s this weekend. :D

Post #22, May 02, 2012 13:35:48

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

seaninsa
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
1,230 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

LOL yeah I see that..I live here and yesterday and this morning the am has had drizzle. I do hope it is nice. Sometimes I wish they would move this show to April.

Post #23, May 02, 2012 15:49:53

Desertrat
Joined Jul 2008
451 posts
California,
[MORE/SHARE]

All the Volunteers did the good weather dance last Saturday,Hope it works better than last year,although after the rain quit on Sunday the clouds made some nice backgrounds. I will be working the Sunrise Photo again this year hope to see some POTN people there. BTW take a look at the POF Facebook there are some nice shots of the three Zeros getting ready for the show.

Post #24, May 03, 2012 16:15:20

seaninsa
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
1,230 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey Desert Rat get out of here this is Canon forum not a Nikon lol.

Post #25, May 03, 2012 18:28:55 as a reply to Desertrat's post 2 hours earlier.

Desertrat
Joined Jul 2008
451 posts
California,
[MORE/SHARE]

NIKON?? I ain't got no stinking Nikons....Ha Ha

Post #26, May 03, 2012 20:46:18

sponsored links
FotoPilot
Joined Sep 2010
581 posts
Danville, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Looking forward to this. Should be flying down with a friend in a Mooney (provided weather is good enroute), and possibly in formation with an RV6, arriving by 1000 on Saturday. Nothing spectacular, but a 2 hour flight beats a 6 hour drive from NORCAL.

Post #27, May 04, 2012 00:36:42 as a reply to Desertrat's post 3 hours earlier.

All Canon 1D MKIII, 50D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 ISL, 50mm f/1.4, EF 2X III

waterboiler
Joined Nov 2009
23 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Weather looks good. Friday was an official preview day.
Tram and an open food vendor.
Compared to past years almost a crowd - at least 500 people.
Much more formal less of a 'group' feel for photogs.

Post #28, May 04, 2012 19:28:55 as a reply to FotoPilot's post 18 hours earlier.

FotoPilot
Joined Sep 2010
581 posts
Danville, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Great airshow! Just returned to NorCal from there and in the process of downloading my pics. Lots of big white lenses on the fenceline - ya think. Decided to go with the 2x on the 70-200 instead of renting. Maybe this was a good idea, maybe not. Will see after download completed.

Post #29, May 05, 2012 22:59:45 as a reply to waterboiler's post 1 day earlier.

All Canon 1D MKIII, 50D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 ISL, 50mm f/1.4, EF 2X III

seaninsa
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
1,230 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well yes the show is now over. Saturday's was by far the best day. On Sunday, the FW190 had to RTB due to mechanical. They also did not fly the formations on Sunday with the P38 and P51.

Post #30, May 07, 2012 16:34:30

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
Planes of Fame Airshow
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES