Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #1
TheBrick3
Goldmember

Default Using a large format 4x5 camera

I saw a job listing that requires use of a "using a 4x5 view camera with a digital scan back." Is that any different than a regular DSLR? You just figure out exposure, right? Is this camera likely to be digital or more likely to be film?

I think I have really strong portfolios on my website (linked below) and I feel like I understand photography really well, so I can't think of any reason I wouldn't be able to figure it out. But I wanted to ask to see if I am missing something.

Website
TheBrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #2
theatrus

Default Re: Using a large format 4x5 camera

There are a lot of differences.

Its a scan back. Your subject better be still.

Its a view camera - tilt and shift is built in, and focus is a whole other experience.

Photographic principles of course apply, and exposure is similar. But be prepared to meter using a handheld light meter on the scene.
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #3
Higgs Boson

Better change the word adapt to adept in your About section if you want the job....
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #4
borealis

No reason you can't figure it out, but it would take a certain amount of practice and study to gain familiarity with using the gear.

Trust me, you don't want to be a GWVC...
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #5
TheBrick3
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus View Post
There are a lot of differences.

Its a scan back. Your subject better be still.

Its a view camera - tilt and shift is built in, and focus is a whole other experience.

Photographic principles of course apply, and exposure is similar. But be prepared to meter using a handheld light meter on the scene.
Thanks. The subject would be still. Does it shoot to a memory card or to film?

Website
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #6
whtrbt7

Whoa large format 4x5 with digital scan back. This definitely doesn't sound like a DSLR. From what you describe, basically they want a large format 4x5 camera like a Sinar X with a digital scan back which is like an analog to digital scanner to convert light into a digital photo. I'm guessing this is for a billboard or something?
whtrbt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #7
TheBrick3
Goldmember

It's archival photography of books. It's a permanent full-time job.

Website
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #8
crn3371
Cream of the Crop

Is this something you'd be trained on, or are they expecting you to be competent with it from the get go? I would think a setup like that would take some skills to master. Kind of like seeing an ad for a big rig driver and saying to yourself "I know how to drive a car, what's the big deal".
crn3371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #9
whtrbt7

I've only seen a single setup with a scan back (didn't know what it was at the time) and it was connected via parallel port to a PC. Files are supposedly huge from what I looked up. Somewhere in the hundreds of MB to GB ranges. Must be some really nice books. Are they providing the equipment?
whtrbt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #10
flowrider
Goldmember

Very different. You also have to account for bellows length in your exposure calculations, if you tilt or shift the lens you need to account for light fall off, and finally there's no AF (break out he magnifying loupe!).

Depending on the type of back you may also have to stitch frames together.
flowrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #11
gotaudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
Kind of like seeing an ad for a big rig driver and saying to yourself "I know how to drive a car, what's the big deal".
First thing I thought of, great analogy
gotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #12
TheBrick3
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrbt7 View Post
I've only seen a single setup with a scan back (didn't know what it was at the time) and it was connected via parallel port to a PC. Files are supposedly huge from what I looked up. Somewhere in the hundreds of MB to GB ranges. Must be some really nice books. Are they providing the equipment?
Yeah, I think they would be. It's a museum near where I grew up and that museum is a pretty big deal. Between the responses to this thread and looking on the Internet (here's a 20 step guide if anyone's interested) is does seem like a substantial learning curve.

I don't think the analogy about car driving is applicable since almost anyone has the ability to drive a car but not everyone is highly skilled at photography. I think it's more like a computer programmer saying they could figure out another programming language pretty quickly.

But they do require an unspecified amount of experience in operating a large format camera along with other less specific photography experience so it's probably not something which would work out. That's a shame, because for sentimental reasons it would be perfect for me.

Website
Old 5th of April 2012 (Thu)   #13
redneckwes

If you've never used one, I don't think you are just going to pick up a 4X5 and start taking pictures.

I had an entire semester of large format, and I think I'd still want a couple of days to get back in the groove before I had to show anyone my work.
redneckwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #14
AJSJones
Goldmember

It's just a big point and shoot! You'll have control over lighting while framing uses a huuuuuuge viewfinder (4x5 inches). Liitle need for tilts swings shifts rise and fall if it's flat copy. If it's a Better Light back, a few test scane will optimize the exposure and off you go!
Old 6th of April 2012 (Fri)   #15
themomopan

Completely different. I shoot 4x5 BW negs on a daily basis and I have to tell you, it's a pain in the ass. If you regularly use a DSLR, you'll need some pretty extensive training to use a 4x5. It's not as easy as it sounds. You have to measure bellows, buy a light meter with a pretty penny, and a tripod that can hold 15 pounds.