New logo, CC Please

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 14:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

marsels
Joined Feb 2012
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

New logo! What do you guys think? I didn't want to use the cliche "FirstName LastName Photography" company name, since EVERYBODY, (including 10 year olds with Rebels), does that. Doesn't really set you apart, IMO.

I'm not really sure about using Shamgunov though, since spelling it may take a while for some people. Should I shorten the company name?

Thanks!

PS sorry about the gradient in the background, I had to take a screenshot of my wallpaper since the logo file is on a different pc.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/F6gKC.png

Post #1, Apr 07, 2012 14:03:09

60D Gripped + 50mm f/1.8 + 18-55mm + (Access To) 70-200 f/4L + 85mm f/1.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Luckless
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
2,210 posts
PEI, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I would tighten the curves in the S. When I first looked at it, I thought the name was Hamgunov Studios, and that you had a Slavic last name.

If you keep that "S", then put the rest of the name in Italics and see if that resolves the initial read issue.

Also, I am drawing a complete blank on the meaning of the word Shamgunov. Is this going to mean anything to your clients?

Post #2, Apr 07, 2012 16:56:51

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

imonkey89
Joined Jan 2009
444 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I really like it, it's clean and simple. However, this is really just my personal opinion, if you don't actually have a studio, then don't put it in your name. Of course, you may have your own studio?

Post #3, Apr 07, 2012 17:46:29

Website/Blog: It's Worth a Shotexternal link

ratchetnclank
Joined Apr 2011
26 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The Red S doesn't really add anything imo.
Its a bit boring, and not really a proper logo imo. A logo should be instantly recognisable.

Post #4, Apr 08, 2012 10:17:41

danielwatson
Joined Oct 2011
292 posts
Leeds / Barnsley
[MORE/SHARE]

I think you're being a bit harsh on the many people using their names here... I don't see why you think it's so bad. Names are very personal - and photographers generally deal with people on a very personal level. Good photography is what will make you stand out from the crowd, not a name. If your photography is good (and you market well) - your name will catch on! Unless it's John Smith. Then you're probably screwed. To be fair a 10 year old could also call himself "Ultimate Photography Studio"

But anyway, regardless of that... Honestly, what do you think the first thing people will say is when you say "Shamgunov Studios"? Probably, "What?" followed by "How do you spell it?" And if they can't remember when they get home, they simply aren't going to find you and will hire someone else. It isn't really memorable - it doesn't roll off the tongue and looks a nightmare to pronounce. I read Sham-guh-nov? But I guess it could be Sham-GOO-nov? To be honest the logo itself is very generic. If I were you I'd give it a re-think!

Post #5, Apr 09, 2012 17:32:43

Daniel Watson BA(Hons)
Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link - Flickrexternal link - Logo Designexternal link
5D MkII | 24-105 f4L | 50 f1.8 | Canon 430EX II | Bits + pieces

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Samgun Photography has a better ring IMHO and the domain is available. :)

Post #6, Apr 09, 2012 17:51:16

marsels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2012
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try a new design and post it in a new thread when I make one.

Post #7, Apr 10, 2012 21:28:16

60D Gripped + 50mm f/1.8 + 18-55mm + (Access To) 70-200 f/4L + 85mm f/1.8

LIST NEARBY THREADS
702 views & 0 likes for this thread
New logo, CC Please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES