Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #1
marsels

Default New logo, CC Please

New logo! What do you guys think? I didn't want to use the cliche "FirstName LastName Photography" company name, since EVERYBODY, (including 10 year olds with Rebels), does that. Doesn't really set you apart, IMO.

I'm not really sure about using Shamgunov though, since spelling it may take a while for some people. Should I shorten the company name?

Thanks!

PS sorry about the gradient in the background, I had to take a screenshot of my wallpaper since the logo file is on a different pc.

Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #2
Luckless
Goldmember

Default Re: New logo, CC Please

I would tighten the curves in the S. When I first looked at it, I thought the name was Hamgunov Studios, and that you had a Slavic last name.

If you keep that "S", then put the rest of the name in Italics and see if that resolves the initial read issue.

Also, I am drawing a complete blank on the meaning of the word Shamgunov. Is this going to mean anything to your clients?
Old 7th of April 2012 (Sat)   #3
imonkey89

I really like it, it's clean and simple. However, this is really just my personal opinion, if you don't actually have a studio, then don't put it in your name. Of course, you may have your own studio?

Last edited by imonkey89 : 7th of April 2012 (Sat) at 17:49.
imonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of April 2012 (Sun)   #4
ratchetnclank

The Red S doesn't really add anything imo.
Its a bit boring, and not really a proper logo imo. A logo should be instantly recognisable.
ratchetnclank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2012 (Mon)   #5
danielwatson

I think you're being a bit harsh on the many people using their names here... I don't see why you think it's so bad. Names are very personal - and photographers generally deal with people on a very personal level. Good photography is what will make you stand out from the crowd, not a name. If your photography is good (and you market well) - your name will catch on! Unless it's John Smith. Then you're probably screwed. To be fair a 10 year old could also call himself "Ultimate Photography Studio"

But anyway, regardless of that... Honestly, what do you think the first thing people will say is when you say "Shamgunov Studios"? Probably, "What?" followed by "How do you spell it?" And if they can't remember when they get home, they simply aren't going to find you and will hire someone else. It isn't really memorable - it doesn't roll off the tongue and looks a nightmare to pronounce. I read Sham-guh-nov? But I guess it could be Sham-GOO-nov? To be honest the logo itself is very generic. If I were you I'd give it a re-think!

Last edited by danielwatson : 9th of April 2012 (Mon) at 18:07.
danielwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2012 (Mon)   #6
isoMorphic
Goldmember

Samgun Photography has a better ring IMHO and the domain is available.
isoMorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2012 (Tue)   #7
marsels

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try a new design and post it in a new thread when I make one.