Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of April 2012 (Mon)   #1
Chunter

Default Editing with Gradients? (Mike Burroughs Formula D)

I'm always amazed at the work Mike Burroughs puts out for Stanceworks and looking at some of his recent work I've been wondering about his editing and how he achieves his "look". My guess for the first 3 photos is just custom made gradients he applies to the pictures in PS along with the dodge tool? Anybody have more input or ideas?

With these photos, I'm not sure how he produces such exaggerated sun flair while still keeping the foreground bright. More dodge tool I'm assuming? Any help with these techniques and styles or input would be great!

Thanks! And here is the website StanceWorks in case some of you are unfamiliar with them. http://www.stanceworks.com/
Chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of April 2012 (Mon)   #2
synth19

Default Re: Editing with Gradients? (Mike Burroughs Formula D)

Not sure what he specifically does, but I know alot of photogs use Knoll Light Factory for the exaggerated flare.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #3
Chunter

Bump for any other replies!
Chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #4
HughR

You can get this sort of effect in Photoshop by using a curves layer and then putting a desired gradient in the curves mask. I use the reverse of this when I'm shooting a large group of people with flash. As the front rows are always slightly brighter, I use curves plus a gradient to selectively lighten the back rows. Gradient masks are extremely useful in Photoshop.
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III
HughR is offline   Reply With Quote