FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 09 Apr 2012 (Monday) 22:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

GOBIGRED
Joined Feb 2012
177 posts
Salem, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

Need your guys' help. I just received my 70-200 f/4 IS lens that I ordered through Amazon Marketplace. Everything looks fine except it's missing a warranty card. Does this mean that it's a gray market lens? I'm leery of buying gray market and when I ordered it last week, I made sure to check and double-check that it was a brand new and USA warranty lens. I just went back and looked at my e-receipt and invoice and it clearly says "Condition: New" but no mention of whether it comes with a USA warranty. I don't like the idea of not getting what I paid for. I guess I can contact the seller or Amazon in the morning. Or do you think it'd do any good to contact Canon directly? Thoughts, advice, suggestions?

Post #1, Apr 09, 2012 22:48:04

Canon 7D | 10-22 ƒ3.5-4.5 | 17-55 ƒ2.8 IS | 70-200 ƒ4L IS | 50 ƒ1.8 MKI | 580EX II | 380EX
Member of Green Box Shooters Club :p

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
NWPhil
Joined Apr 2010
349 posts
Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

http www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Gray-Market.aspx

"USA vs. Gray Market Canon Lenses - What is the difference?

When shopping for your Canon lenses, you will likely run into 2 versions of the same lens. One will be the "USA" model and the other will be denoted as "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import".

What is the difference?

The "USA" Canon lenses are imported to the US by Canon USA. "USA" Canon lens warranties are supported by any Canon service facility worldwide. They are also eligible for Canon lens rebates - both instant rebates and mail-in rebates.

The "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import" Canon lenses are directly imported by the retailer or their import agent. They are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. At least they "say" they are not covered. Word on the street is that Canon covers gray market lenses under their standard warranty if an invoice from an authorized dealer can be produced. This mirrors my experience as well.

Most reputable retailers will provide their own same-as-manufacturer's warranty on "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import" Canon lenses. Instead of sending the lens to Canon, you send it to the retailer.

What physical difference is there between USA and Gray Market Canon Lenses?

Usually none - in fact, I have yet to find a difference. These Canon lenses are made in same factory using the same parts and are identical in the finished product form. Reputable retailers would make any differences clear before you bought the lens. Scam retailers will give you lines such as "You have ordered the plastic mount gray market version of this lens". If you hear that line or any similar upsell tactic, consider a red warning flag raised.

The attractive difference in a Gray Market Canon lens is price. The imported version is nearly always cheaper - sometimes even cheaper than with the rebates offered on the USA versions.(...)"

Post #2, Apr 09, 2012 23:58:58

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

GOBIGRED
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2012
177 posts
Salem, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the response and clarification. In spite of all that information, I'm still leery of the potential for my lens to be a gray market unit. For one, you wrote that "Word on the street..." I don't want to find out five months down the road that the word on the street is not endorsed by Canon. And I much prefer to get the lens serviced by Canon as opposed to some shop in NY that may or may not have pulled the old switcheroo with me in the first place. Lastly, the point about saving a little money with going gray. I didn't pay any less for this lens than what was the market price at the time so there's no advantage there either.

I wrote to the retailer today and they responded positively, asking me to double-check the box because sometimes the warranty card may have slipped down the side of it. They added that they'll replace the lens if I can't find the card. Here's hoping that everything will turn out fine.

NWPhil wrote in post #14239510external link

http www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Gray-Market.aspx

"USA vs. Gray Market Canon Lenses - What is the difference?

When shopping for your Canon lenses, you will likely run into 2 versions of the same lens. One will be the "USA" model and the other will be denoted as "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import".

What is the difference?

The "USA" Canon lenses are imported to the US by Canon USA. "USA" Canon lens warranties are supported by any Canon service facility worldwide. They are also eligible for Canon lens rebates - both instant rebates and mail-in rebates.

The "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import" Canon lenses are directly imported by the retailer or their import agent. They are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. At least they "say" they are not covered. Word on the street is that Canon covers gray market lenses under their standard warranty if an invoice from an authorized dealer can be produced. This mirrors my experience as well.

Most reputable retailers will provide their own same-as-manufacturer's warranty on "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import" Canon lenses. Instead of sending the lens to Canon, you send it to the retailer.

What physical difference is there between USA and Gray Market Canon Lenses?

Usually none - in fact, I have yet to find a difference. These Canon lenses are made in same factory using the same parts and are identical in the finished product form. Reputable retailers would make any differences clear before you bought the lens. Scam retailers will give you lines such as "You have ordered the plastic mount gray market version of this lens". If you hear that line or any similar upsell tactic, consider a red warning flag raised.

The attractive difference in a Gray Market Canon lens is price. The imported version is nearly always cheaper - sometimes even cheaper than with the rebates offered on the USA versions.(...)"

Post #3, Apr 10, 2012 17:11:33

Canon 7D | 10-22 ƒ3.5-4.5 | 17-55 ƒ2.8 IS | 70-200 ƒ4L IS | 50 ƒ1.8 MKI | 580EX II | 380EX

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
1,902 posts
San Antonio, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I have bought a grey market and it came with a warranty card.

Post #4, Apr 10, 2012 17:24:46

A7R | EM-1 | EM-5 | 7.5 | 17 | 21 | 60 | 75 | 12-40 | 70-200G | E640x2 | ABR800 | 580EXII

chantu
Joined Aug 2006
717 posts
Silicon Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

Grey and white market lens should come with a warranty (International vs. USA). Only black market lens are without a warranty.

Post #5, Apr 10, 2012 18:17:19

Canon 5D mk3, 7D, Canon T3i/XSi (to wife/daughter), Sigma 17-50 OS, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Zoom H4n recorder, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickrexternal linkFeedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

sponsored links
DreDaze
bit by the Supposed Title Fairy
Joined Mar 2006
15,024 posts
S.F. Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

who'd you buy it from...that'll determine if the warranty is even honored...

Post #6, Apr 10, 2012 19:41:02

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickrexternal link

GOBIGRED
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2012
177 posts
Salem, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for all the responses so far. Didn't know that about white/gray/black market stuff. I'm hesitant to name the specific retailer cause I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on them (they've given me no reason to do so thus far). Suffice it to say they're found in Amazon Marketplace. Anyway, I wrote them tonight to tell them that I've checked again and there's no warranty card in the box. They've responded that they're gonna ship me a replacement lens. Hope all's well that ends well.

Post #7, Apr 10, 2012 21:00:27 as a reply to DreDaze's post 1 hour earlier.

maplewoods
Joined Jan 2012
53 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

In China we buy grey market lenses often, some are smuggled(avoiding tax). Everything seems alright so far, though there are rumors that some of the grey lenses are actually refurbished but wrapped with new cases...

Post #8, Apr 10, 2012 21:33:50

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
1,902 posts
San Antonio, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

just so you know canon just needs a receipt for warranty, you don't even need a warranty card.

Post #9, Apr 10, 2012 22:23:48

A7R | EM-1 | EM-5 | 7.5 | 17 | 21 | 60 | 75 | 12-40 | 70-200G | E640x2 | ABR800 | 580EXII

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,048 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Simply go to Canon website, set up an account and register the lens. It will tell you if it's USA or gray market right away and you can do something about it if it's gray, and you want to.

If it was bought from Amazon direct, it's probably USA. If it was bought through one of their vendors, it may or may not be.

It's only a one year warranty anyway.

Post #10, Apr 10, 2012 22:30:47

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

DreDaze
bit by the Supposed Title Fairy
Joined Mar 2006
15,024 posts
S.F. Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

Higgs Boson wrote in post #14245300external link
just so you know canon just needs a receipt for warranty, you don't even need a warranty card.

but if the receipt is from an un-authorized dealer...than it doesn't matter all that much...

Post #11, Apr 11, 2012 02:13:23

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
gacon1
Joined Mar 2006
621 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

chantu wrote in post #14243903external link
Grey and white market lens should come with a warranty (International vs. USA). Only black market lens are without a warranty.

bw!

Post #12, Apr 11, 2012 02:42:37

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
1,902 posts
San Antonio, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

DreDaze wrote in post #14246029external link
but if the receipt is from an un-authorized dealer...than it doesn't matter all that much...

true, i only buy from a couple places......

Post #13, Apr 11, 2012 05:36:38

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,430 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

did you try registering the lens online?

Post #14, Apr 11, 2012 08:54:41

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2005
7,383 posts
San Diego County, California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The Canon Warranty Card is useless. Check and see if the dealer from which you purchased the lens is a Canon Authorized Retailer. That is the only time Canon will do warranty work on a Canon item.

They want to see the invoice from the authorized dealer in order to provide warranty work. They could care less about the waranty card. What the earlier posting alluded to was that Canon "MAY" do warranty work on a gray market iutem which was purchased from a Canon Authorized Dealer.

An example of a Canon Authorized Dealer that sells both Canon USA and Canon Gray Market items is B&H in New York City. This company is extremely honest and clearly states when an item they are selling is grey market.

I strongly suspect that the item you purchased is NOT covered by the Canon USA warranty. It may not even have been new. Lots of sales on the internet advertise items as "NEW" when the correct terminology is :"IN LIKE-NEW CONDITION". The reason I suspect that your dealer is unscrupulous is that a Canon Authorized Dealer would have told you, "Don't worry, you don't need the warranty card. Our invoice is all you need for waranty work!"

On the positive side, most times that I have needed warranty work done is early after my purchase. If a camera works perfectly at the start, it will often work well through the warranty period. In fact, I now have no qualms about purchasing a Canon Refurbished Item which has only a 90-day warranty. However, I would be hesitant to pruchase an item without any warranty unless I was paying a used item price.

I also hesitate to purchase through Adorama vendors unless I am familiar with the vendor. However, I have no worries about purchasing from Adorama Direct. If you have problems with the vendor misrepresenting the status of the item and if the dealer will not satisfy you; I would go to Adorama. I feel that Adorama has a fiduciary responsibility to ensure hat vendors selling on their site describe the items accurately.

Post #15, Apr 11, 2012 11:27:54 as a reply to rick_reno's post 2 hours earlier.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/external link
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,500 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did I get a gray market lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES