Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of April 2012 (Tue)   #1
Panoz

Default Use of iPad for photo processing/editing

I'm considering getting an iPad(3). I've seen several threads about tablet use, but none mention someone using it for true photo editing. If anyone is (or has good guesses), can you answer:

1) How are photos put on the iPad? Via a charger port USB converter?
2) If you edit with PhotoShop for the iPad, does it store the photos in .PSD format, compatible with other PhotoShop programs?
3) I assume there's no color calibration for an iPad, correct? If not, then you certainly would not make color corrections using an iPad, correct?
4) I've seen references to viewer apps on the iPad, any favorites?
Old 10th of April 2012 (Tue)   #2
buggz

Default Re: Use of iPad for photo processing/editing

You know the display isn't able to re-calibrated, if it is even done so from Apple?
This is a major turn off for me.
I STILL don't understand WHY *someone* cannot fit a light meter/color meter combination, and have calibration abilities from the available locations used.
WHEN this *AND* LightRoom, or PhotoShop is available for it, let me know.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #3
S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
I'm considering getting an iPad(3). I've seen several threads about tablet use, but none mention someone using it for true photo editing. If anyone is (or has good guesses), can you answer:

1) How are photos put on the iPad? Via a charger port USB converter?
2) If you edit with PhotoShop for the iPad, does it store the photos in .PSD format, compatible with other PhotoShop programs?
3) I assume there's no color calibration for an iPad, correct? If not, then you certainly would not make color corrections using an iPad, correct?
4) I've seen references to viewer apps on the iPad, any favorites?
Tablet are not meant for photo editing period, non calibrate able and lack the processing power.

I would say get one to show off your finished work for sure, the nice big screen works well for a mobile portfolio. As for editing on it not the greatest idea. I use PS express on my iphone 4 for the photos I take with the phone but that all.

1. Yes you would have to create a folder location on your PC and you would get the images on your Ipad via syncing it through itunes.

2. No, it is just like editing normal photos you have to pick the format, jpeg is the only one that will show on the ipad, I would size the image to the size of the images that the ipad take. IE if the ipad takes photos at 1200pc on the long side size your image to the same, that's what I do.

other option is, if your camera allows an SD card you could get the Eyefi mobile X2 or the Eyefi Pro X2 and have the image uploaded to your ipad via wireless transfer, but then do not edit them cause the images won't be stored on the card but on your ipad and once again you run the risk of overwriting them.

3. YES, no calibration for the ipad so no color correction is recommended on the ipad!

4. I would just use the slideshow that comes on the ipad, it's free and does the job.

AVOID editing your images on your ipad to begin with, if you do edit them you run the risk of writing over you originals and loosing them, unless you keep them on an external drive, safe. Plus the ipad can not read CR2 files so your stuck editing only jpegs.

Sevan

Last edited by S.E.V. : 11th of April 2012 (Wed) at 02:45.
S.E.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #4
René Damkot
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggz View Post
You know the display isn't able to re-calibrated, if it is even done so from Apple?
Not quite (but only valid for that app).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/5/26/datacoloriPad

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #5
shazza

You can also purchase the camera connector kit which lets you import directly from an SD card to the iPad, or import from the camera via USB cable

You can organize and edit photos with the iPhoto app, Adobe PSTouch, and lots of 3rd party apps. Like others have said, not for hardcore editing. I found this to be a workable solution for vacation photos, and for taking a quick look at a shooting session.

Last edited by shazza : 11th of April 2012 (Wed) at 16:48.
shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #6
Pearlallica

The iPad is useless at content creation.

It's also aggrivating.

Since I bought my Macbook my iPad has been collecting dust.

I have a few "content creation" apps (photoshop touch, garage band, numbers, etc) and they are all frustrating to use when it comes to importing and exporting your work. Best to leave these tasks to your notebook if you truly want to be efficient.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #7
Pearlallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
You can also purchase the camera connector kit which lets you import directly from an SD card to the iPad, or import from the camera via USB cable

You can organize and edit photos with the iPhoto app, Adobe PhotoTouch, and lots of 3rd party apps. Like others have said, not for hardcore editing. I found this to be a workable solution for vacation photos, and for taking a quick look at a shooting session.
Agreed. Any photo editing apps on the iPad are good for smaller files taken from your iPad itself or from your compact camera. Nothing that a DSLR spits out.

Good for edits on the go if you want to instantly share on Facebook or other social apps.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #8
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

It is horrible as a final edit maker. But it is perfect for quick edits in the field to make sure you are on track for what you are wanting. I use it this way a lot.

It is also not too bad for quick edits to send to facebook...etc....etc... I do this on vacation. I will upload a few selects each evening for friends to see what we are up to.

But it is worthless to use as a final editor. The controls are just not fine enough.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #9
buggz

Wow, 'bout freakin' time.
Thanks for this info, it's hard to keep up with all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by René Damkot View Post
Not quite (but only valid for that app).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/5/26/datacoloriPad
Old 12th of April 2012 (Thu)   #10
dave_bass5
Goldmember

I find Photoshop Touch to be pretty good for editing. The only thing it lacks (for me) is no CM so you cant reply on it for final edits, but thats not the apps fault of course.
Canon 5DMKIII |Canon 650D | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | 135L f/2.0 | 100 f/2 USM |40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.
dave_bass5 is offline   Reply With Quote