Problems with AI Servo on 550D

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 12:10   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tedyun
Joined Jan 2011
54 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm having problems using the AI Servo AF mode on my Rebel T2i. I am mainly taking pictures of my family, particularly my kids while they are playing. The lenses I am using are 50 f1.4, 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 IS mk I

I had never really gotten AI Servo to work, but recently, I sat down and am making an effort to try to understand this feature. I can't seem to get it to track a subject.

I have my daughter stand a distance away. Using manual (center point selected) or auto AF point selection, AI Servo selected, I lock onto her (using standard or back-button AF), then have her walk slowly toward or away from me. As she does this, I understand AI Servo should adjust the focus. However, as she walks, she moves out of focus. I even have her stop, but the focus never adjusts.

Should the the lens USM be operating as AI Servo is functioning? The focus ring does not adjust as it does when it initially locks onto the subject.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Post #1, Apr 11, 2012 12:10:31

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

You do have the shutter release half pressed to activate the AI Servo? If you are keeping it pressed, the only other user issue is that you must keep the focus point locked onto the same place on the subject.

If you are doing both, then just maybe you need to get the camera examined.

Post #2, Apr 11, 2012 12:17:55

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

tedyun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2011
54 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Richard. I actually found my User Error by reading an excerpt from the Canon EOS Rebel T2i For Dummies book.

I even went to my local electronics store to test out another T2i, only to find out I was having the same problem.

It turns out that AI Servo does not work when Live View is enabled. I must look through the viewfinder! When Live View is enabled, all AF modes behave as one shot.

I did not know that there was a difference between the VF and LV.

:oops:

Lowner wrote in post #14248037external link
You do have the shutter release half pressed to activate the AI Servo? If you are keeping it pressed, the only other user issue is that you must keep the focus point locked onto the same place on the subject.

If you are doing both, then just maybe you need to get the camera examined.

Post #3, Apr 11, 2012 19:03:52

Snydremark
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
15,640 posts
Issaquah, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

At least you have the answer now :)

Post #4, Apr 11, 2012 19:14:00

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlifeexternal link (7D MkII, 7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

tedyun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2011
54 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Not only that, but I must get used to using the viewfinder again. As a recent immigrant from PnS land, I find it a bit awkward.

The last time I used a viewfinder, cameras had film! :lol:

Snydremark wrote in post #14250295external link
At least you have the answer now :)

Post #5, Apr 11, 2012 21:36:34

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
2,551 posts
Central New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

tedyun wrote in post #14250999external link
Not only that, but I must get used to using the viewfinder again. As a recent immigrant from PnS land, I find it a bit awkward.

The last time I used a viewfinder, cameras had film! :lol:

Very few of us regularly compose using the LCD. Besides anything else, locking focus on the LCD is so sloooow.

Post #6, Apr 12, 2012 00:35:43

Mark
Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 13

chongkiat
Joined Apr 2012
287 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

u found 550D using AI SERVO with USM lens get good result?

Post #7, Apr 12, 2012 02:06:29

Canon 60D Gripped | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580exII
My Flickr

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I have found liveview useful when using a tripod, as it locks the mirror up on my 5D2. My grateful thanks to Elie for the information. Otherwise I don't use it.

Post #8, Apr 12, 2012 02:18:54

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

tedyun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2011
54 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am finding this out! It's like a totally different camera, using the VF. I had no idea that there was such a big difference in AF speeds. Oh, the pictures I've missed because the Live View AF was so slow...

The difference in AF speeds was the main thing that struck me when I switched over from my Sony F828...Now I know the "secret."

mwsilver wrote in post #14251658external link
Very few of us regularly compose using the LCD. Besides anything else, locking focus on the LCD is so sloooow.

I'm getting better results using AI Servo with USM, in VF vs LV. :lol: I am not sure if it is up to pro standards, but it is working as I've always wanted it to. I am just testing it out right now, and will report back once I try using it in real situations.

chongkiat wrote in post #14251881external link
u found 550D using AI SERVO with USM lens get good result?

Post #9, Apr 12, 2012 06:58:02

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,051 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Live View uses a completely different method of focusing. It's called Contrast Detect and the imaging sensor itself, which is exposed in Live View, is doing the focusing. It's the most accurate focus method on your camera... but slow, slow, slow! It's actually the same type of focusing method many point n shoot cameras use... and why people are so amazed how fast SLRs focus can be and one of the key reasons they upgrade to them.

The normal focusing method, as seen through the viewfinder (with Live View off), is called Phase Detection and uses the array of AF points you see indicated in the viewfinder.

In the VF focusing mode, you have a choice of One Shot, AI Servo, or AI Focus. One Shot is used for stationary subjects. AI Servo is used to track moving subjects.

AI Focus isn't really a focus mode at all... it's more like automation on top of automation. The camera is supposed to decide whether or not the subject is moving, then switch to the other AF mode that's appropriate. In the past I've experimented with it and found it has a delay, so I stopped using it and just switch back and forth between One Shot and AI Servo myself.

One Shot is more accurate than AI Servo. It focuses, locks on the subject, then stops and gives Focus Confirmation. You can use it with multiple AF points or a single, manually selected point. The latter is the most accurate if possible. If using a single point, the center AF point is the most accurate and quickest in all Canon cameras (some have other higher performance points elsewhere).

Because it locsk on and then stops, One Shot is usable with a "focus and recompose" method, if using a single AF point.

AI Servo is continuously updated focus, constantly adjusting to follow a moving subject. It never locks, so doesn't give Focus Confirmation. Same as One Shot, it's most accurate using a single AF point, so long as you are careful to keep that point right on the place you want the camera to focus. You have to maintain half press on the shutter release button continuously for AI Servo to keep tracking. It is not practical to use for a "focus and recompose" method of shooting.

Subjects coming directly toward the camera or going directly away from it are the hardest for it to maintain AI Servo focus on. A subject moving past you, side to side or at somewhat of a diagonal, is easier to track.

You also might want to check out Back Button Focusingexternal link if you will be shooting in AI Servo a lot. This is a popular sports shooters technique, but really is usable with any type of moving subject and makes it possible for AI Servo to be used with a "focus and recompose" method, too. Basically, separating AF from the shutter release button... reassigning it to a button on the back of the camera that's operated with your thumb... puts the photographer more in full control of what focus is doing.

Yes, lenses can make a noticeable difference too.... In general, USM lenses (also HSM in Sigma or USD in Tamron) are faster, more accurate and quieter focusing. In general, lenses with larger apertures that offer up more light to the AF sensors also can be faster. There are exceptions, though... for example, by design the 85/1.2L is slower focusing, to emphasize accuracy over speed. Accuracy is more critical with super shallow depth of field rendered by very large aperture lens such as that.

Poor quality filters can have a negative effect on auto focus. Converserly, a lens hood might help at times, keeping oblique light from striking the lens.

Post #10, Apr 12, 2012 09:37:40

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

stsva
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
5,941 posts
Northern Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

amfoto1 wrote in post #14253192external link
* * * *You have to maintain half press on the shutter release button continuously for AI Servo to keep tracking. It is not practical to use for a "focus and recompose" method of shooting.

I'd suggest one addition to Alan's excellent summary - using back button focusing AI Servo can easily be used for focus-recompose by acquiring focus on a stationary subject, then releasing the AF button so that focus is "frozen" and will not change if the camera is moved to recompose.

Post #11, Apr 12, 2012 09:43:47

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profileexternal link
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net ...=744235&highlight=h​amsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problems with AI Servo on 550D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES