Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #1
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Default Why do a lot of people have this desperate need to make money from photography?

Why do a lot of people have this desperate need to make money from photography? Not talking about professionals of course who make a living from photography, just the hobbiests that seem to have an almost desperate need to get back something monetarily from photography.

I ponder this often when reading a lot of people threads on different photography forums worldwide, this 'need' to make money from photography. Why do so many people have this drive to make money from their hobby? Why do so many people see photography (their hobby) as some sort of cash cow?

Don't say it's a way to recoup monies spent on pricey equipment. There's many many costlier hobbies and pursuits than photography and people don't see the need to charge (even family members!) others to get some money back on their expenditure like many photographers seem to do.

Because they've 'produced' something? Honestly, you've pushed a button on an electronic handheld computer and it's captured an image......good for you () (ok I've taken some liberty there, but you get the idea).

I've given away so many framed prints of images to people who have commented that they liked a photo of mine. I was tickled pink to do this. I didn't start adding up the cost of the equipment used to capture the image, the cost of the software to manipulate it, the cost of the paper to print it, the cost of the ink to print it, the cost of the printer that was printing it. I was just happy being generous to a family member or a friend.

One of my other hobbies is woodturning. XXXXX amount of dollars tied up in machinery, tools and exotic wood blanks. When you've spent hours and sometimes days making something from a rough piece of wood into a beautiful and functional piece of 'art' you can really say you 'made it'. I've made hundreds of pieces and given every single one of them away. I'm not unusual here, in my group of "woodies" they all give their 'art' away for free. They don't see the need to recoup on their outlay of machinery and wood, nor make money from their 'art'.

Another pastime is water skiing and wakeboarding. My boat is worth XXXXXX the thought has never crossed my mind when family, friends and friends of friends are being towed behind me to ask them for a cheque or better yet have a credit card point of sale device on board so that after their go they can pay me for the privilege.......so that I can recoup some of my outlay.

The examples of hobbies and pastimes that cost a lot of money to do could go on and on.

So what is this inexplicable (at least to me) need for lots of people to charge money for photography? What stops people from being generous, even with their own family members when it comes to taking photos and giving images away?

What is it that overcomes some people as soon as they purchase a camera, unbox it and think "I'm going to make some money from this"?

When it comes to photography, some of us do seem a little precious.
f o t o w o r x
fotoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #2
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Default Re: Why do a lot of people have this desperate need to make money from photography?

Good question.

I do this for a living and have been for several decades now. But what I do for me is very different from what I do living. My professional photography pays the bills blah blah and that frees up what I do for me to be just for me. I have sold some work and have had some success showing in galleries and such but I don't have to sell that work to eat. In fact I couldn't support the family and have any standard of living doing that.

I think in our society we equate success with money so therefore if we make money with our work it must be good. Its a measure of worth though very misguided.
airfrogusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #3
DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."

Default Re: Why do a lot of people have this desperate need to make money from photography?

If you're an artist, your stuff won't be valuable till after you die, otherwise, you might as well get what it's worth today.
If I made a picture and gave it away for the Joy of giving, nothing more is expected.
If someone asks me to make them a print, it's for sale, unless she's really cute.
www.damphyne.com
DAMphyne is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #4
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

I have a neighbor who is driven to make money from his photography, it's insane.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #5
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart

People wanting to make money?!? That's just plain weird man.
nicksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #6
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Why? Don't know. We have the same amount of people making some small side money from photography as well as people giving away photos for free.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #7
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
I think in our society we equate success with money so therefore if we make money with our work it must be good. Its a measure of worth though very misguided.
Thats a good point.
f o t o w o r x
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #8
SOK

1. Buy rebel kit
2. Set up Facebook business
4. Profit
SOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #9
brokensocial

Lots of different motives. We started a business because we enjoyed our hobby and wanted to pursue it full time.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #10
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksan View Post
People wanting to make money?!? That's just plain weird man.
I think you're astute enough to have read my post and differentiated between making a living from and being a hobbiest with sense of entitlement to make even a dollar back for the mere fact that they own a camera.

Again....When it comes to photography, some of us do seem a little precious.
f o t o w o r x
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #11
highergr0und

It sounds like you've got plenty of money to spend on hobbies. I did not do my due diligence when it came to getting hooked on photography and it is pretty expensive.

That said, I don't expect to make money from it. I imagine that a lot of the money talk here is driven from the fact that to many, money = success, or even lack of offer of money for services = outrage = success.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #12
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

...because brain surgery as a hobby is illegal.
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #13
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
Now that really is

f o t o w o r x
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #14
SOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Seriously though, this is probably the crux of it.

Along with the fact that it's so stupidly easy to make money* from photography.

Other hobbies have significant barriers between the "starting out" and a "making money" phase (think music, sport, fishing, auto, or wood work as per the OP's example), whereas photography doesn't.

*doesn't necessarily mean lots of money, and often doesn't equate to profit.
SOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2012 (Wed)   #15
mike_d
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
And few people will walk up to you and say, "You have a nice knife, can you cut out this tumor for $50?"
mike_d is online now   Reply With Quote