Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #1
peta62TM

Default 5D MIII focusing points problem

Hello,
this may be a stupid question, but I cannot find a way to set 5D Mark III focusing point behaviour to act like the original 5D did, it means to indicate focus of individual focusing point red when it is focused. It just blinks black, but even when I have nine focusing points, three on some edge close to me and six well behind it, so only three get focused, but all behave the same. Does anybody know where to set it up ?
Thank you,
Peter
peta62TM is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of April 2012 (Fri)   #2
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: 5D MIII focusing points problem

There is a thread for it already.
Old 14th of April 2012 (Sat)   #3
peta62TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
There is a thread for it already.
I am sorry, I tried to find it then and now, no luck, could you, please, give here a link ?
BTW I called Canon support yesterday morning, they took my phone and email but did not come back yet.
Thank you very much,
Peter
peta62TM is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of April 2012 (Sat)   #4
G-Tus

Hit Menu -> AF Menu Tab 5 -> VF Display Illumination. You can set it from Auto to Enable or On, then it will always blink red when it has achieved focus.

Remember that, just like all previous EOS models, it will only blink red in One Shot focussing mode, AI Servo will never blink red.
G-Tus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of April 2012 (Sat)   #5
Higgs Boson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Tus View Post
Hit Menu -> AF Menu Tab 5 -> VF Display Illumination. You can set it from Auto to Enable or On, then it will always blink red when it has achieved focus.

Remember that, just like all previous EOS models, it will only blink red in One Shot focussing mode, AI Servo will never blink red.
That doesn't solve the issue at hand. It isn't visible in low light unless you achieve focus so what about when you are composing in low light? Where the heck is the AF point?
Old 14th of April 2012 (Sat)   #6
h4y4sh1

Here's the link
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1167057
Apparently, there's no way to make it behave like the original 5D

h4y4sh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #7
wookiee2cu

There was a recent interview with Chuck Westfall and this was brought up. Sounds like there may be a firmware update for this in the future http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=8EIdV4mAcpo#! I believe it's around the 8 minute mark
wookiee2cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #8
pwp3

Here's the really bad news. The 1DX has exactly the same design flaw. Did Canon ask photographers to beta test the 5D3 & 1DX? Whether this was a conscious design decision or a breathtaking oversight I guess we'll never know.

But the firmware fix has to be delivered ASAP.
pwp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #9
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp3 View Post
Here's the really bad news. The 1DX has exactly the same design flaw. Did Canon ask photographers to beta test the 5D3 & 1DX? Whether this was a conscious design decision or a breathtaking oversight I guess we'll never know.

But the firmware fix has to be delivered ASAP.
you're assuming Canon sees this as a flaw and will do a fix. I'm not sure of that.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #10
sempaidavid

If they think fixing a light leak issue that only effects pictures shot with a lens cap on is cause for a hardware fix, this better be worth a firmware fix.

http://www.davidcostaphotography.com
sempaidavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #11
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

The 7D works exactly the same. If you want to, you can configure a button to illuminate the VF info before focusing, so you can see where the points are. I don't know if the same can be done on the 1D X or the 5D Mark III.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #12
Maverique

You mean you want the focus points to light up when they are focusing, blinking like they do in the 5d2 and I imagine the 5dc, right? Can you imagine how hard it would be to see your subject with a lot of focus points all lit up?
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #13
elrey2375
Goldmember

I'm on the record as not really seeing what the problem is. You hit the button, lights are up, move them around to wherever you want, boom, you're done.
elrey2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #14
pwp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_reno View Post
you're assuming Canon sees this as a flaw and will do a fix. I'm not sure of that.
Chuck Westfall from Canon US states in an interview that this is an issue and that they're actively looking at a fix. No timeline on this. Hopefully this is firmware fixable.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #15
pwp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverique View Post
You mean you want the focus points to light up when they are focusing, blinking like they do in the 5d2 and I imagine the 5dc, right? Can you imagine how hard it would be to see your subject with a lot of focus points all lit up?
The phenomenon happens in AI Servo mode. No, you definitely don't want the whole 61 point array lighting up...you need to see your selected point to keep it on your moving subject. Just like the 1D4.