Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 13 Apr 2012 (Friday) 14:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cemetery Photos

kcrossley
198 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Williamsburg, VA
Apr 13, 2012 14:54 |  #1

Hey everyone,

I need a little help. I need to take a few landscape photos for a new client (a cemetery). I typically try to shoot outdoor images during bright, puffy cloud days to minimize shadows. Unfortunately, I frequently find myself waiting for clouds to cover the sun. I know you can get some pretty dramatic images during the early morning or late afternoon. I'm ust curious as to what you guys think.

Thanks!

Cameras/Lenses: Canon 70D, Lumix DMC-ZS3, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM, Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II
Accessories: Canon 200EG DSLR Backpack, Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote, Sunpak PRO523PX Carbon Fiber Tripod

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,854 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 13, 2012 14:59 |  #2

Your best bet is to get a tripod and shoot in the morning before the sun clears the horizon, or in the evening as the sun goes below the horizon. You get a soft light with nice tones and soft shadows. Most great landscape work is done well before breakfast.

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Williamsburg, VA
Apr 14, 2012 17:03 |  #3

Okay, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks!

Cameras/Lenses: Canon 70D, Lumix DMC-ZS3, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM, Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II
Accessories: Canon 200EG DSLR Backpack, Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote, Sunpak PRO523PX Carbon Fiber Tripod

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,611 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Apr 14, 2012 17:08 |  #4

Or maybe shoot at night on full moon?

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Williamsburg, VA
Apr 14, 2012 21:04 |  #5

Not sure I want to be in a cemetery at night. LOL

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008
Based in California and Slovenia
Apr 21, 2012 22:36 |  #6

Or maybe if there is anything illuminated in the cemetery, you might try shooting during the "blue hour." Here's one I did recently (see if you can find the poltergeist ;) ):

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.megethos.co​m ...leia/PoltergeistPos​er.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Williamsburg, VA
May 13, 2012 01:43 |  #7

That's beautiful work. May I ask how you shot it? Did you do any image correction in PS or LR?

madjack
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Orange County, Ca.
May 13, 2012 01:49 |  #8

Phrasikleia wrote in post #14306058external link
Or maybe if there is anything illuminated in the cemetery, you might try shooting during the "blue hour." Here's one I did recently (see if you can find the poltergeist ;) ):

I found it.. Whats the story behind that? Is it fabricated or ooooohhh.

www.pva.orgexternal link

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined May 2008
May 13, 2012 11:04 |  #9

madjack wrote in post #14423630external link
I found it.. Whats the story behind that? Is it fabricated or ooooohhh.

Hehe. Just a guy moving a bit during a long exposure. ;)

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Williamsburg, VA
May 13, 2012 11:58 |  #10

Post some details please. Time of day, exposure settings, etc.

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,826 posts
Joined May 2008
May 13, 2012 13:32 |  #11

kcrossley wrote in post #14423615external link
That's beautiful work. May I ask how you shot it? Did you do any image correction in PS or LR?

Thanks, and sorry for the late reply. I somehow missed your question. It's a very straightforward capture: a single exposure with no special post-processing. I used a tripod and probably had a graduated ND filter over the lens (I don't recall now, but that's likely).

kcrossley wrote in post #14425023external link
Post some details please. Time of day, exposure settings, etc.

I assume you're inquiring about my photo, since it's the only one posted in the thread. The EXIF info is intact in the photo, but I'll post it here too:

Date Time Original 2011:09:09 19:39:32
Exposure Time 5
F Number f / 11
Exposure Program Manual
ISO Speed Ratings 100
Metering Mode Pattern
Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length 17mm
White Balance Manual white balance
Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Williamsburg, VA
May 30, 2012 04:53 |  #12

You'd probably have to take it when there's a full moon.

sponsored links

2,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cemetery Photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.