Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of April 2012 (Sun)   #1
IShootThings

Default Lens for Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend

Hello. I'm about to purchase a 7d and 24-70L lens before taking a trip through the Grand Canyon and Page. Is the 24 end of the 24-70 going to be sufficient for Antelope Canyon and/or Horseshoe Bend? If not I'm trying to save money so I'm not sure which of the following options I should go with on the 7d:
1. Use my 18-55 is kit lens from my xti
2. Rent a 10-20mm Canon from an online rental shop for $100
3. Buy the Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6 for $375 used
4. Buy the Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD used for $300 used

Any help or other suggestions are appreciated.
Old 15th of April 2012 (Sun)   #2
irishman
Goldmember

Default Re: Lens for Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that on the 7D the 24 will not be wide enough for either place. How you budget your dollars for a wide angle is going to be up to you.
Old 15th of April 2012 (Sun)   #3
Cali_PH

I have the Canon 10-22 and use it quite a bit, more than any other lens for landscape. I haven't tried the Sigma or Tamron, but I've heard the image quality isn't as good.

I did a quick look at some of my Antelope Canyon shots and I found almost all were at 10mm or close to that; I was shooting with a T2i (1.6 crop factor), especially in Lower Antelope which can get quite a bit tighter than Upper. Sometimes I did a few shots with a 24-105, but only once, because I was so worried about the dust being blown into the canyon. Next time I'll take two bodies with different lenses.

For some perspective, here's one of my shots of Horsehoe Bend at 10mm. I was very glad for the wide angle here; you can't really stand further back and still include river, and even with 10mm I cut off the river and still keep as much of the sky I wanted in the shot. Later, I thought about stitching but by then that was too late. I also may not have picked the best ledge to photograph from, but I felt decently safe on that one lol.

EDIT -Sorry, had to shrink the file a lot to fit within forum limits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horseshoe Bend Small.jpg (89.1 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by Cali_PH : 15th of April 2012 (Sun) at 12:15.
Cali_PH is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of April 2012 (Sun)   #4
argyle
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman View Post
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that on the 7D the 24 will not be wide enough for either place. How you budget your dollars for a wide angle is going to be up to you.

What Bruce said. You'll need at least 10mm on a crop body to capture most of the bend. OTOH, you can also consider renting a fisheye along with the 10-22 for a totally different look. The fisheye gets it all, and then some:

GEAR LIST
argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2012 (Sun)   #5
MCAsan
Goldmember

For inside upper Antelope Canyon, a lens that can be sealed with a clear fiber. Otherwise that lens likely has to go to a repair shop to have the sand removed. For a FF body, use a 17-40 or similar.
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
MCAsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #6
irishman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
For inside upper Antelope Canyon, a lens that can be sealed with a clear fiber. Otherwise that lens likely has to go to a repair shop to have the sand removed. For a FF body, use a 17-40 or similar.
McAsan--what does this mean? Maybe I've been lucky, but I've shot there several times and have never had to take a lens to the repair shop. I certainly don't CHANGE lenses once inside.
Argyle--great shot!
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #7
Numenorean
User is banned from forums

On a crop camera, the 17-55 will be much more useful than the 10-22 or 24-70...though the 24-70 would be more useful than the 10-22. Wide is good for some things in antelope, but there are a lot of things you can zoom in for detail shots on as well. You DO NOT change your lens in there. There is basically dust/sand flying around all the time from the guides tossing it up in the air. Pick your lens and stick with it.
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #8
Geonerd

You'll probably want something wider than a 24. That said, last time I was at Lower Jackalope, I got a bunch of nice pics with a Drebel and 28mm Olympus MF lens. Shooting with a fixed focal length is sorta fun!

The kit lens does OK if you stop it down (something you'll probably do anyway, given the DOF requirements.)

Yea, the cliche' Horseshoe shot needs a ~17mm equivalent. Time to rent one of those super-wide zooms.

Last edited by Geonerd : 16th of April 2012 (Mon) at 11:47.
Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #9
IShootThings

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going with renting that Canon 10-22... Anyone know a good place with a decent price on renting?
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #10
argyle
Cream of the Crop

I wouldn't limit myself to an ultrawide only in Upper Antelope...just depends on your compositional goals. I've seen folks in there shooting with a 24-105L to get a different perspective on some of the formations. Two bodies would be ideal...no need to change lenses. But once inside, if limited to a single body, I wouldn't change lenses (and I've never had to have mine cleaned or sent in for repairs). Keep a filter on the lens, and have a blower handy to get the dust off in between shots.

GEAR LIST
argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #11
MCAsan
Goldmember

Quote:
Keep a filter on the lens, and have a blower handy to get the dust off in between shots.

Exactly.
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
MCAsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #12
IShootThings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
Exactly.
Can anyone recommend a good blower/lens cleaning in general? I need to upgrade from the cheap Canon one I bought a few years ago.
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #13
Geonerd

For gritty dust, the best in-field cleaner is none at all. Use a blower to get the easy / coarse stuff and ignore the rest. When you get back to civilization you can very gently clean any dust etc. Wiping and worrying during the shoot will only lead to scratched glass.

What section of Jackalope are you aiming to visit? The lower section can be reasonably dust free if the wind above isn't blowing. (If it is, you'll be subject to an intermittent rain of sand and dust.) Upper has a much higher density of dust-kicking tourons and, if the dumb light beams are going, the guides will be tossing bucketfuls of sand into the air. In this environment, changing lenses on a digital camera is not suggested. I don't suppose you have an old, unloved film body laying about?
Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #14
Cali_PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by msclman99 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good blower/lens cleaning in general? I need to upgrade from the cheap Canon one I bought a few years ago.
I saw the Giottos Rocket mentioned by a lot of people, so I bought two (one large for home, one medium for my bag). Been very happy with them, and I found it pretty essential in Antelope, like many people here are saying.
Cali_PH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2012 (Tue)   #15
IShootThings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonerd View Post
For gritty dust, the best in-field cleaner is none at all. Use a blower to get the easy / coarse stuff and ignore the rest. When you get back to civilization you can very gently clean any dust etc. Wiping and worrying during the shoot will only lead to scratched glass.

What section of Jackalope are you aiming to visit? The lower section can be reasonably dust free if the wind above isn't blowing. (If it is, you'll be subject to an intermittent rain of sand and dust.) Upper has a much higher density of dust-kicking tourons and, if the dumb light beams are going, the guides will be tossing bucketfuls of sand into the air. In this environment, changing lenses on a digital camera is not suggested. I don't suppose you have an old, unloved film body laying about?
Thanks for the response. If the weather is good, I'm going for upper and lower. I do have an old film body but I'm using it so it isn't unloved. I won't be bringing it on the trip though...

Thanks also Cali.