Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Performing Arts Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of April 2012 (Mon)   #1
xdmg

Default Got asked by local venue in being a house photographer, best way to approach?

Just a little of my background.

I've been shooting concerts for over a year now.

I currently shoot for two online publications. One pays nothing and the other pays per published photo. It's very little money but works because I cover shows I would have paid a ticket for anyway.

I'm trying to make a living off of photography, I do occasionally shoot weddings/other events and charge about $100/hr.

Anyway, a local venue contacted me and wanted to use my pictures, come to future events, and talked about becoming a house photographer.

I'm just wondering what the best way to approach this situation. I am interested but I definitely do not want to take advantage of.
Old 17th of April 2012 (Tue)   #2
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Got asked by local venue in being a house photographer, best way to approach?

Just ask them if they pay, nothing rude or horrible about that. If they don't then the decision is yours. They would normally credit you
Compact: Canon G12 (Website exists, but waiting update)
RichSoansPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of April 2012 (Fri)   #3
cpam.pix

Default Re: Got asked by local venue in being a house photographer, best way to approach?

Don't ask "if" they pay, ask "how much" they pay.

That sets the expectation that you are a pro and expect to be paid as such. If they say they don't pay, then you can decide if you want to do the charity work. [If you do it as charity, make sure you get the photorights for selling, advertising, promoting your work, etc.]
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #4
whuband

If they pay someone to pour drinks and someone to clean the restrooms, then this is a paying job, or you will hate yourself after a few weeks.
1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (2), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.
whuband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #5
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuband View Post
If they pay someone to pour drinks and someone to clean the restrooms, then this is a paying job, or you will hate yourself after a few weeks.

The problem is that there are some who would do it for nowt because they are already attached to an organisation who pays them lots of lollies, so recognition is the name of the game of some people, these are the people who are killing the job
Compact: Canon G12 (Website exists, but waiting update)
RichSoansPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote